Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2018, 07:41 AM

264 posts, read 239,144 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
I would because they actually *live* there; this as opposed to many of the African Americans you see on UES are there due to employment (maids, nannies, and others....).

Case in point you see plenty of blacks now around Lenox Hill hospital area, but that is because they work at the place, few if any live on the UES. In fact the richness of hospitals/healthcare services on UES does skew numbers. You see plenty of AA men and women in scrubs or whatever near Lenox Hill, or down on York in the Sixties (Sloane-Kettering, NYP hospital, etc...) but again they don't live in area.

UWS is also different in terms of housing in that you have plenty of homeless shelters, NYCHA housing, scatter site welfare/voucher housing and so forth from CPW right on through to Broadway and beyond.

To best of my knowledge there is *NO* NYCHA or whatever housing on UES from Fifth to Lexington below 96th street. Unlike UWS you certainly do not have such housing between Fifth and Park, OTOH you do have such housing between CPW and Columbus.

As a matter of fact large parts of the UWS (from West 79th to about 96th IIRC) was designated (and still may be for all I know) *blighted* back in the day and made a slum clearance area. Again something you never had on UES and explains all those housing projects.
The bolded text is a large part of the problem. Clearly, blacks do not reside in large numbers on the UES, but nevertheless, there are definitely black people who live on the UES. People who falsely assume that NO black people live on the UES, are more likely to call the police, on a black person who actualy lives in the neighborhood.

I'm not sure if you're aware of this but there's a number of black professionals who reside all over Manhattan.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2018, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TizOnly1 View Post
Like I already said.. we're not wanted anywhere. Being a Black man in America is to constantly live with that **** over your head.

For some of us, it's a crushing reality.. for others, we just brush the **** off. I'm of the latter ilk. Believe me, I've dealt with all sorts of **** in my life. I'm sure I'll have some blatant racism to deal with sometime in the near future too. **** doesn't really bother me, because it's not a real reflection of me.

The person who called the police was simply unable to come to grips with the fact that a black man could afford to reside in the building. Therefore, he or she, assumed (based on their own racial bias) that the young man was breaking into an apartment.

Old 05-03-2018, 08:15 AM

37,155 posts, read 39,430,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MechaMan View Post
Good point. However, I don't think a burglar would be trying to break into a vacant apartment

They made a good point about him bringing things IN....How could that be perceived as "Theft"
That's theft of space! He's putting things into what would otherwise be beautiful, vacant space.

Old 05-03-2018, 08:27 AM

12,791 posts, read 8,298,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovelySummer2020 View Post
The person who called the police was simply unable to come to grips with the fact that a black man could afford to reside in the building. Therefore, he or she, assumed (based on their own racial bias) that the young man was breaking into an apartment.
That's precisely what it was. Even other minority groups pull this crap. Supposedly there are no black professionals who work hard enough to afford nice neighborhoods.

Old 05-03-2018, 08:46 AM

1,998 posts, read 1,883,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
That's precisely what it was. Even other minority groups pull this crap. Supposedly there are no black professionals who work hard enough to afford nice neighborhoods.
Working at a corporation in Manhattan can feel that way, when the only other Hispanic people you meet throughout your day is the person who serves you food during lunch break and the cleaning lady. When you finally meet a black coworker you realize they had a upper class upbringing and are not from the inner city.

If you start riding the subway into the city, you notice it is mostly minorities going to work at occupations that are to serve the white people with office jobs.

Old 05-03-2018, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYer23 View Post
Working at a corporation in Manhattan can feel that way, when the only other Hispanic people you meet throughout your day is the person who serves you food during lunch break and the cleaning lady. When you finally meet a black coworker you realize they had a upper class upbringing and are not from the inner city.

If you start riding the subway into the city, you notice it is mostly minorities going to work at occupations that are to serve the white people with office jobs.
That's the environment that I work in which is why I said what I said. There are very few male minorities (I'm specifically referring to black and Hispanic men, not Asian men) that work in my building in an office environment. Just about all of the building staff is Hispanic doing things like janitorial work. So much discrimination too it's disgusting. What I mean is, when you see blacks or Hispanics in such positions, you have a lot of jealousy from those same minorities that think, oh he thinks he's big **** because he's got that office job or he's an uncle Tom, so it isn't just whites that hold prejudices. On top of that they then have to put up with crap like this. It never ends, and this is supposedly NYC where people vote overwhelming "blue" and are oh so liberal. BS.

Like seriously, unless the person is Asian, it's like a minority isn't supposed to hold such positions. It's subtle discrimination that I notice and this is an example of it. If that guy was Asian I doubt that would've happened, but let a black or Hispanic male be in that situation, and someone has to come along and "remind" them of their background.

Old 05-03-2018, 09:56 AM

Quote:
What is especially troubling is, the caller reported Darin Martin as having a weapon. Just imagine if he was in his apartment, when the police arrived with their guns drawn...

The person who called, was more than likely hoping for the above outcome, but instead they will have to come to grips with the fact that some black Americans have the means to live wherever they desire.

As an aside, I think Darin will probably relocate back to DC after his lease ends. DC has a lot of visible black professionals working in government, tech, business, education, law, etc. As such, the area is not as segregated as NYC, because minorities tend to have access to higher paying professional jobs, which allows for more economic freedom.

This is off the topic, but recently, I was out with a friend waiting to enter a restaurant. I observed a black couple looking at the posted menu outside of the restaurant. A white couple approached and the white woman got right in front of the black man, who was reading the menu, without even saying "excuse me" and proceeded to read the menu, while clearly blocking his view of the menu. The woman's husband or boyfriend, however, informed her that the guy was reading the menu, before she got in front of him and proceeded to block his view. She looked shocked, but quickly recovered and stepped aside. The black couple finished reading the menu and then quickly moved on.

That particular interaction really peaked my interest. Oddly, in certain social situations (like the one I described above), some pretend they don't see the black person who is waiting ahead of them in line, but will quickly call the police on a black person whom they spot in front of their home, or apartment.

Old 05-03-2018, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovelySummer2020 View Post
This is off the topic, but recently, I was out with a friend waiting to enter a restaurant. I observed a black couple looking at the posted menu outside of the restaurant. A white couple approached and the white woman got right in front of the black man, who was reading the menu, without even saying "excuse me" and proceeded to read the menu, while clearly blocking his view of the menu. The woman's husband or boyfriend, however, informed her that the guy was reading the menu, before she got in front of him and proceeded to block his view. She looked shocked, but quickly recovered and stepped aside. The black couple finished reading the menu and then quickly moved on.

That particular interaction really peaked my interest. Oddly, in certain social situations (like the one I described above), some pretend they don't see the black person who is waiting ahead of them in line, but will quickly call the police on a black person whom they spot in front of their home, or apartment.
I've seen this same thing. In fact it seems to happen regularly. I go to coffee shops a lot where this happens. Have a black person go to an establishment where there's a line, and just about every time, a white person will not wait behind the black person, but rather stands on the side of them as if they are ordering with them, but if it's an all white crowd, somehow there's an orderly line with whites waiting behind each other (as you should do when you're in line). When it's a black person behind a white person though, I've observed some whites becoming uncomfortable. So even in the most simple instances you see this sort of thing go on. Really disturbing.

So many transplants are coming here that don't have interactions with black people that clearly don't know what to do, which is another problem. In their home countries, they either don't have large black populations, or if they do, they're not in high paying jobs, so they find the whole thing "shocking".

Old 05-03-2018, 10:07 AM

Quote:
That's the environment that I work in which is why I said what I said. There are very few male minorities (I'm specifically referring to black and Hispanic men, not Asian men) that work in my building in an office environment. Just about all of the building staff is Hispanic doing things like janitorial work. So much discrimination too it's disgusting. What I mean is, when you see blacks or Hispanics in such positions, you have a lot of jealousy from those same minorities that think, oh he thinks he's big **** because he's got that office job or he's an uncle Tom, so it isn't just whites that hold prejudices. On top of that they then have to put up with crap like this. It never ends, and this is supposedly NYC where people vote overwhelming "blue" and are oh so liberal. BS.

Like seriously, unless the person is Asian, it's like a minority isn't supposed to hold such positions. It's subtle discrimination that I notice and this is an example of it. If that guy was Asian I doubt that would've happened, but let a black or Hispanic male be in that situation, and someone has to come along and "remind" them of their background.
An Asian American woman wrote a blog about having to pick up an item from a friend's apartment, who happened to be out of town.

After arriving at the apartment, the woman realized that she forgot the key, but everything turned out well, because the super happened to be in the building at the time. Upon seeing her standing outside of the door, he offered to open it. In her blog, she remarked that he didn't even ask her for ID, nor did he ask if she lived at the residence.

Old 05-03-2018, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731
I've seen this same thing. In fact it seems to happen regularly. I go to coffee shops a lot where this happens. Have a black person go to an establishment where there's a line, and just about every time, a white person will not wait behind the black person, but rather stands on the side of them as if they are ordering with them, but if it's an all white crowd, somehow there's an orderly line with whites waiting behind each other (as you should do when you're in line).
And when the person taking the order is ready, usually they will assume that the white person is next in line, or they will ask, "can I help who is next..." (even though the black person was clearly waiting in line first (before the white person decided to stand beside them and not in the back).

Quote:

So many transplants are coming here that don't have interactions with black people that clearly don't know what to do, which is another problem. In their home countries, they either don't have large black populations, or if they do, they're not in high paying jobs, so they find the whole thing "shocking".
Very true!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City