Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2008, 03:58 PM

3 posts, read 17,263 times

Advertisements

So I was interested in the East Village before, but I’m looking more at the Lower East Side now because I’ve heard it’s cheaper. (True/false?) I only know a little bit about the neighborhood, so anything you all can tell me is great. Average price of a studio/one bedroom apartment, proximity to the subway, safety, overall “vibe”, and things like that. Also, is there a good amount of relatively affordable restaurants/bars/etc in the area?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2008, 04:14 PM

5,720 posts, read 20,059,490 times
The projects houses many Blacks, Puerto Ricans and Dominicans. The unfortunate thing is that the LES has many NYCHA housing projects. It has one of the highest concentrations in the city. Make no mistake about it, these projects are really bad. As a result, the LES had a high crime rate last year.

However, if you live away from the projects you should encounter NO problems what so ever. The rest of the neighborhood is pretty safe. Hope that helps.

Old 03-21-2008, 10:50 AM

307 posts, read 2,508,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMario View Post
The projects houses many Blacks, Puerto Ricans and Dominicans. The unfortunate thing is that the LES has many NYCHA housing projects. It has one of the highest concentrations in the city. Make no mistake about it, these projects are really bad. As a result, the LES had a high crime rate last year.

However, if you live away from the projects you should encounter NO problems what so ever. The rest of the neighborhood is pretty safe. Hope that helps.

OMG...SuperMario...I doubt he'll move to the PJs. Besides...the PJs starting at like avenue C or D I believe...Nobody hangs out there. People hang out at ave. A or 1st ave.

@snowandlights: The East Village is a fun neighborhood. Close to the 6 or L train. Close to SoHo alot of nice bars & restaurants. Rent is not cheap, even for a studio. I wouldn't recommend to move down to delancey/essex st. area is not that safe and pretty.

Old 03-21-2008, 10:53 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,259,113 times
Quote:

Why would you give that type of answer? It's such a troll answer. The OP didn't even ask about racial or ethnic demographics. The OP could be Black or Hispanic for all you know.

Snow, the LES is not a cheap neighborhood, maybe relatively cheaper compared to some other parts of Manhattan but it hasn't been cheap for some time now. It's a cool place for a young, single person. You can never be bored there.

Don't worry about the PJ's. The PJ's down there have really just become like their own island. It's kinda sad actually.

Last edited by NooYowkur81; 03-21-2008 at 11:03 AM..

Old 03-21-2008, 11:00 AM

842 posts, read 4,310,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NooYowkur81 View Post
Why would you give that type of answer? It's such a troll answer. The OP didn't even ask about racial or ethnic demographics. The OP could be Black or Hispanic for all you know.
What's a troll answer?

To the OP, the Lower East Side is expensive.

Old 03-21-2008, 11:05 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,259,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BXGEAR View Post
What's a troll answer?

To the OP, the Lower East Side is expensive.
Urban Dictionary: troll

Old 03-21-2008, 11:52 AM

5 posts, read 23,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowandlights View Post
So I was interested in the East Village before, but I’m looking more at the Lower East Side now because I’ve heard it’s cheaper. (True/false?) I only know a little bit about the neighborhood, so anything you all can tell me is great. Average price of a studio/one bedroom apartment, proximity to the subway, safety, overall “vibe”, and things like that. Also, is there a good amount of relatively affordable restaurants/bars/etc in the area?
Back in the days you won't even though of living on in The L. E. S min rent range is 2,000 for a shoe box

Old 03-21-2008, 12:47 PM

1 posts, read 1,776,085 times
Quote:

The OP didn't ask for racial statistics of the LES, he simply asked about the costs.

Answer is : LES is getting more expensive by the minute. It's become a "trendy" and desirable neighborhood. I don't think it's any cheaper than East Village.

Old 03-21-2008, 01:50 PM

11 posts, read 74,295 times
I was focusing on the East Village and LES when looking for a place last year. The neighborhood's are very similar and, obviously, very close. The Lower East Side is, in my mind, basically a boutique version of the East Village (narrower streets, smaller area, smaller-scaled buildings etc).

My experience was that there was ZILCH on the market in the Lower East, I guess because of its size. That said, I'd imagine the rents are more or less the same between the two.

Old 03-21-2008, 03:36 PM

5,720 posts, read 20,059,490 times
Wow you people are quick to jump on others. Did the OP ask about safety or not? Ok, therefore mentioning the only unsafe part (PJ's) is more than validated. The race demographics was just a bonus. Deal with it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City