Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2008, 01:38 PM

11 posts, read 34,288 times

Advertisements

Hi,
I'm a grad student possibly heading to The New School in the fall. I live in GA and will be visiting the NYC area in a couple of months to scope things out. I'm thinking of Brooklyn Heights, maybe a studio around 1200-1400 if possible. Can I find one in a decent area of Brooklyn Hts for that? Specifically, what are some areas/streets I should focus on in my search, and what are some I should dodge?
Also, I'm looking at Astoria, Queens, but Brooklyn Heights seems more appealing to me.

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2008, 02:43 PM

757 posts, read 3,364,003 times
Brooklyn Heights is beautiful but, barring a miraculous find, beyond your budget.

Old 03-20-2008, 03:07 PM

Okay, if Brooklyn Heights is out of my budget, are there any other areas of Brooklyn I should look at? I'm a 32-year-old single white woman, will probably get a job in Manhattan along with attending school there, and have never been to New York. I don't mind a longer metro commute if it means a better neighborhood. I'm looking for a safe, quiet neighborhood. I don't need all the bustle of NYC right outside my front door.

Thanks again!

Old 03-20-2008, 04:44 PM

2,954 posts, read 12,307,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carbro View Post
Brooklyn Heights is beautiful but, barring a miraculous find, beyond your budget.
Not necessarily. A friend of mine lives in a nice enough studio, no frills but no mice or bugs either, for $1175 on Hicks near Clark. You will have to pay a broker's fee to find a deal, but if you stay a few years without moving it evens out though it's frustrating to shell out a few thousand up front for the broker.

Otherwise, there are three basic categories in Brooklyn, though some areas blend these categories.

First is gentrified brownstone neighborhoods, which are closer in and have more transplanted young professionals. Though it's proudly industrial and ugly rather than brownstones, and more hipper-than-thou than suit-and-tie, I include Williamsburg in this category. In any of them your budget is tight, but you can check Brooklyn Heights or Fort Greene/the northern corner of Park Slope near Atlantic/Pacific subway station. That has the N and Q trains that are only a couple of stops to Union Square, something to consider if attending the New School. People make their lives harder by looking at proximity on a map rather than the trains they'd have to take. Don't think as the crow flies, unless you're a crow flying to school. The second category is rougher areas, and the third is farther flung, more authentic old Brooklyn residential areas. The last category gives you a nicer place for the money, and some of them are quite nice areas. The downsides are that the subway trip is often longer, and they are much more local and insular in flavor, without the Brooklyn Heights transplanted educated professional scene.

The best trains from Brooklyn to Union Sq. are the N/Q (from Atlantic Ave, 7th Ave and Flatbush, and points beyond); the 4/5 (from Brooklyn Heights, Nevins St, and Atlantic Ave (beyond that is sketchy); and the L, from the aforementioned Williamsburg, which may or may not be your speed.

Old 03-20-2008, 05:15 PM

2,896 posts, read 9,815,585 times
holden125, your friend is simply lucky. $1175 is NOT the going rate for studios in BH.

Finding something in her price range in Brooklyn Heights is an absolute shot in the dark---unlikely to hit anything. Don't count on it!!!

You appear to emphasize *safety*. Do you consider yourself "street smart"? Are you a fast learner? For example, if you're the type that can't handle making a wrong turn into the hood---then I would suggest Brooklyn is not for you. BTW, all of Brooklyn Heights is a decent area---it is the best neighborhood in Brooklyn---and also the most expensive. You could try Park Slope, you'd have better odds, but still slim pickings.

Astoria in Queens, on the other hand is within your budget, and VERY safe. Easy commute to Manhattan, 15 to 20 minutes to midtown, though it's about 45 minutes by Subway to the Village, where the New School is located downtown.
BH and PS are both the Yuppie type neighborhoods--again, why they are expensive. Astoria, on the other hand, is an ethnic neighborhood, full of Greeks, Italians, and Eastern Europeans, as well as Asians, Indians, and Middle Easterners. It is truly a cornucopia of ethnicities. If you enjoy cultural mix, then you'll find the place quite interesting.

In any event, it is as safe as a New York neighborhood can be. Just remember, you MUST develop street smarts, because life in NY means traversing many neighborhoods--some not as safe. Even in BH you need street smarts.

Luck!

Old 03-20-2008, 05:39 PM

jcoltrane,
Thank you for the advice, and thank all of you for your insight.
Street smarts are something I will have to develop; luckily, I am a fast learner. Coming from South GA, my ideas of NY are skewed by misinformation and fear of large cities. I personally don't think I'll have a problem adjusting to NY although it may take some time. It will be intimidating at first!
My hometown is very diverse for such a small place, so a diverse community would not be a problem for me.
What I would like to avoid living near are undergrads, to be honest. Been there, done that. I like a quiet neighborhood where I don't wake up every night to thumping base. Astoria looks pretty good.
Anymore thoughts or opinions are greatly appreciated.

Old 03-20-2008, 08:31 PM

1,409 posts, read 5,251,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashlie89 View Post
jcoltrane,
Thank you for the advice, and thank all of you for your insight.
Street smarts are something I will have to develop; luckily, I am a fast learner. Coming from South GA, my ideas of NY are skewed by misinformation and fear of large cities. I personally don't think I'll have a problem adjusting to NY although it may take some time. It will be intimidating at first!
My hometown is very diverse for such a small place, so a diverse community would not be a problem for me.
What I would like to avoid living near are undergrads, to be honest. Been there, done that. I like a quiet neighborhood where I don't wake up every night to thumping base. Astoria looks pretty good.
Anymore thoughts or opinions are greatly appreciated.
Re street smarts, I think one of the most important things to learn is that coming from the South, you just can't talk to everyone on the street. My mother came to visit and I was shocked by how chatty she was with complete strangers. I have been here for so long that I've forgotten what I used to be like.

I don't mean that you should be rude, but it is simply a different culture. For example, on busy streets there are often folks handing out flyers for sample sales, restaurants, clubs, etc. My mom didn't want to be rude so she took flyers from everyone. She didn't understand that it's part of NYC life to just keep walking.

Initially, as a woman, you will have to ignore anyone who tries to approach you on the street. After a bit of time, you will be able to figure out the lost tourists who simply need directions from the loser dudes before they even open their mouths and you can go back to your friendly self.

Keep an eye on apts for rent on Craig's List to see if things are coming up in your range in Carroll Gardens and Cobble Hill. If you want to avoid undergrads avoid the East Village and Williamsburg at all costs.

Old 03-20-2008, 09:30 PM

415 posts, read 1,395,685 times
You are not going to be living any place in BK Heights for the kind of money you are talking about. A decent studio in Williamsburg by the L on the north in of Bedford can be had around 15 last time I checked. I live in Greenpoint and I suggest you look here for the money you are talking about. Its very safe 70% polish 20% hipster and 10% spanish/PR. Its much better here as far as things to do than when I first moved here from the city. The hipsters are setting up lots of shops on franklin. We have got McCarren park that divides GP with williamsburg and the dreaded G train (which is not so bad when you just accept it for what it is). The park is very nice here and in the summer time their are lots of concerts. I highly suggest you look into this area. BK Heights is for wall street types and the money you have won't fly there unless you get one of those crazy deals that people say their friend's brother's uncle got. You might be able to do a share there but I doubt it with the money you are talking. That nab is the jewl of BK.

Old 03-21-2008, 11:22 AM

215 posts, read 771,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashlie89 View Post
Okay, if Brooklyn Heights is out of my budget, are there any other areas of Brooklyn I should look at? I'm a 32-year-old single white woman, will probably get a job in Manhattan along with attending school there, and have never been to New York. I don't mind a longer metro commute if it means a better neighborhood. I'm looking for a safe, quiet neighborhood. I don't need all the bustle of NYC right outside my front door.

Thanks again!
Bay Ridge Brooklyn. The best neighborhood I ever lived in when I was in NYC. Very low crime rate, a great selection of restaurants and lounges that rivals anything you could find in Manhattan in quality.

You'll be taking the R train to work and the Verizano bridge is beautiful at night.

Go here...
Bay Ridge, Brooklyn - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 03-21-2008, 12:07 PM

Thank you, ANAPA!
Question: The New School is on 12th ST in NYC. I see commute times to midtown, but isn't New School further south? What kind of commute would that be from South Brooklyn, like Bay Ridge compared to, say, coming from Astoria?

Thank you!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City