Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-09-2008, 04:03 PM

8 posts, read 33,731 times

Advertisements

Sorry for the repost, but I put this in the sticky thread and didn't get any responses so I'm trying here.

I'm a late 20s male, who will be working in the West Teens. I'm from the West Coast and only been to the city for a few days before. I am looking for a studio or single bedroom apartment in the range of $1800-2200 with no roommates. Have lived in a 350 square foot studio in the past, so anything that size or above is fine. Would like to live in Manhattan, but am open to other places (Brooklyn?) I play music as a hobby, so would like a place that allows me to practice guitar and vocals. It would be nice to be near other people my age, with some kind of social scene, and people who are also into music (open mics, cafes, that sort of thing). However, I don't mind living in a more quiet/safe area and being 10-15 minutes away by train from those interesting places.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2008, 04:08 PM

36 posts, read 93,382 times
Brooklyn is a fab place with many opportunities.
I prefer Manhattan also.
If you're looking for the all-around culture scene, try SoHo. The Upper West Side seems perfect also.
What neighborhood drew you in the most when you visited?
What places interested you?

Old 03-09-2008, 04:14 PM

7,079 posts, read 37,948,630 times
I would NOT advertise the fact that you play music when looking for an apartment. It's not permitted after specified hours in many apartments and certainly not an amplified guitar. There is also a means test for renting - I believe you need to make at least 40 times the monthly rent in annual salary. So be ready for that. You're better off in Chelsea than in an area where they're not so thrilled with a lot of noise, like the Upper West Side, which has lots of families with children.

Lauren, in another thread you said you weren't familiar with the Upper West Side....I'm curious why, if not familiar with the area, you recommend it...

Old 03-09-2008, 04:25 PM

36 posts, read 93,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viralmd View Post
Lauren, in another thread you said you weren't familiar with the Upper West Side....I'm curious why, if not familiar with the area, you recommend it...
You're right, I'm not familiar with the area.
I don't have any family, connections, etc.
That doesn't mean I haven't been there & experienced it.
I just don't go there every.single.time I visit.

Old 03-09-2008, 04:50 PM

7,079 posts, read 37,948,630 times
The other area you might consider is NJ - more affordable, easy access to NY on the PATH train.

Old 03-09-2008, 06:47 PM

757 posts, read 3,364,003 times
Quote:
The other area you might consider is NJ - more affordable, easy access to NY on the PATH train.
Yes, the path has a line that goes up 6th Ave.* and stops at 14th & 23rd Sts., which may be convenient to your workplace.

*AKA Avenue of the Americas

Old 03-09-2008, 07:38 PM

8 posts, read 33,731 times
Quote:
I would NOT advertise the fact that you play music when looking for an apartment. It's not permitted after specified hours in many apartments and certainly not an amplified guitar. There is also a means test for renting - I believe you need to make at least 40 times the monthly rent in annual salary. So be ready for that. You're better off in Chelsea than in an area where they're not so thrilled with a lot of noise, like the Upper West Side, which has lots of families with children.
Actually, it's an acoustic, but yeah, you make a very good point. I'll try not to bring that up when looking around for a place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City