Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-17-2017, 09:05 AM

12,789 posts, read 8,288,555 times

Advertisements

There is a small area of the Bronx that sits just below Pelham, NY and just above Pelham Bay Park. The zip code given is 10464. The kids that live there go to school in Pelham, NY under some agreement the city reached with Westchester years ago. There doesn't seem to be an official name for this part of the Bronx. It is nicknamed as "Politicians' Row", and while the houses are expensive, the residents pay city taxes while their neighbors just across the street in some cases pay significantly more since they live on the side in Westchester. Does anyone know the official name of this area? I thought maybe it was part of the Eastchester neighborhood in the Bronx, but it looks like the Eastchester border ends right where this place begins. Since it has the 10464 zip code, I thought it was part of City Island, but I doubt the residents consider themselves part of that neighborhood.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2017, 10:50 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,348,018 times
Hmmm. I always thought it was just a skinny thread of Eastchester. At least that is the only neighborhood that it borders. What with the park.

Old 04-17-2017, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
Hmmm. I always thought it was just a skinny thread of Eastchester. At least that is the only neighborhood that it borders. What with the park.
That would make sense. According to City-Data, it is Eastchester. I didn't know Eastchester had three zip codes, but they're under 10469, 10475 and 10464.

https://www.city-data.com/neighborhoo...-Bronx-NY.html

The thing is City-Data has been the only place to associate that area with Eastchester.

Old 04-17-2017, 05:25 PM

34,082 posts, read 47,278,015 times
I read about this part of the Bronx before, it has a Pelham zip code, but its part of New York City.

Here is an example from the Building Department's website:

Property Profile Overview

I don't know if City Planning ever gave it an official neighborhood name, maybe try check their website, or try forgotten-ny.com to see if Kevin Walsh ever covered the area.

Forum TOS: https://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 04-17-2017, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
I read about this part of the Bronx before, it has a Pelham zip code, but its part of New York City.

Here is an example from the Building Department's website:

Property Profile Overview

I don't know if City Planning ever gave it an official neighborhood name, maybe try check their website, or try forgotten-ny.com to see if Kevin Walsh ever covered the area.
No it doesn't have a Pelham zip code. Take a look at City-Data or put in the zip code for 10464 on Google. It shows the exact borders. If you do a Google tour, you can tell exactly where Pelham starts and where the Bronx is by the street signage. Basically the blocks that run into a dead end where Pelham Bay Park is on the other side are part of the Bronx (zip code of 10464). Once you make your way not even half way down the block going north, that's where the zip code changes abruptly to Pelham, NY 10803. Crazy! It's one of the few areas that I can think of with no clear border.

I know the kids that live there all go to school in Pelham because all of parts in the Bronx basically end on dead end spots, but I wonder about mail delivery and street paving. In order to reach the part in the Bronx, you would have to go through Pelham to do so.

Old 04-17-2017, 06:31 PM

9,247 posts, read 24,073,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
No it doesn't have a Pelham zip code. Take a look at City-Data or put in the zip code for 10464 on Google. It shows the exact borders. If you do a Google tour, you can tell exactly where Pelham starts and where the Bronx is by the street signage. Basically the blocks that run into a dead end where Pelham Bay Park is on the other side are part of the Bronx (zip code of 10464). Once you make your way not even half way down the block going north, that's where the zip code changes abruptly to Pelham, NY 10803. Crazy! It's one of the few areas that I can think of with no clear border.

I know the kids that live there all go to school in Pelham because all of parts in the Bronx basically end on dead end spots, but I wonder about mail delivery and street paving. In order to reach the part in the Bronx, you would have to go through Pelham to do so.
It's such a tiny area. what does it consist of ? Something like 25 properties ?. Certainly not really a "neighborhood"

I think some of the boundaries between The Bronx and Mt Vernon are just as weird ... with people on one side of a street or half the block being in The Bronx... other side is Mt Vernon. I also think there are neighborhoods in extreme Eastern Queens that have similar situations. The only really weird thing here is that the people in The Bronx zone here have a park on one side.

Seventh gave a city building print out with a Roosevelt Ave address so that section or side of Roosevelt must be NYC but when you google that exact address it come up as Pelham. Wouldn't be surprised if Google doesn't even really know where the boundary is.

I read somewhere years ago that there are some people in some of theise areas where their property is split between one jurisdiction and the other. They wind up paying taxes to whichever town the bedroom is in..There was even a recent case down South somewhere where some people's properties were in different states. Front of house in one state,backyard in another.

Here is a Times article about this zone.
http://www.nytimes.com/1997/05/06/ny...e-suburbs.html

Last edited by bluedog2; 04-17-2017 at 06:42 PM..

Old 04-17-2017, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
It's such a tiny area. what does it consist of ? Something like 15 properties . Certainly not really a "neighborhood"

I think some of the boundaries between The Bronx and Mt Vernon are just as weird ... with people on one side of a street or half the block being in The Bronx... other side is Mt Vernon. I also think there are neighborhoods in extreme Eastern Queens that have similar situations. The only really weird thing here is that the people in The Bronx zone here have a park on one side.

Seventh gave a city building print out with a Roosevelt Ave address so that section or side of Roosevelt must be NYC but when you google that exact address it come up as Pelham. Wouldn't be surprised if Google doesn't even really know where the boundary is.

I read somewhere years ago that there are some people in some of theise areas where their property is split between one jurisdiction and the other. They wind up paying taxes to whichever town the bedroom is in..
Supposedly something like a 20 - 30 kids go to school in Pelham because the city says it's easier to just let them go there versus busing them to school in the Bronx or elsewhere. My understanding is that the city had to reclaim part of the land for garbage use or something to that extent, which partially explains the set up, but still weird that the boundary wouldn't even reach a full city block. It all looks like Westchester with the exception of the city street signs.

Old 04-17-2017, 06:52 PM

9,247 posts, read 24,073,586 times
Quote:
Supposedly something like a 20 - 30 kids go to school in Pelham because the city says it's easier to just let them go there versus busing them to school in the Bronx or elsewhere. My understanding is that the city had to reclaim part of the land for garbage use or something to that extent, which partially explains the set up, but still weird that the boundary wouldn't even reach a full city block. It all looks like Westchester with the exception of the city street signs.
Link above says an average of only 6 kids or something and evidently there is more than one theory about how this came about including that the land was all vacant and the city was going to build an east west road there but never did. Given the size and configuration of the strip that makes the most sense.

Old 04-17-2017, 07:27 PM

34,082 posts, read 47,278,015 times
Quote:

I posted proof from a city agency website showing that the property is in the Bronx with a Westchester zip code....I guess I'll leave it to you to email the city and tell them to fix their error.

Forum TOS: https://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City