Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-25-2017, 10:12 AM

3 posts, read 1,725 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know how often the AMI thresholds are increased for the minimum and maximum income per year for affordable housing lottery eligibility?

Considering the minimum wage in New York just went up two dollars in January (double the usual increase, and the same +$2.00 increase to continue ever January until it's up to $15), will the AMI ranges also increase? It seems like this could affect the total yearly income of a lot of people who are in the low income ranges. In fact, with just the two dollar increase now, for someone who works around 37 hours per week, will have a yearly income increase of around at least 3000 dollars if they are calculating the income based on weekly pay stubs. And yet, as I'm sure many are aware, that $3000 increase in income is still not nearly enough to make us anywhere near able to afford market rate housing, frustratingly. So really, they should already be accounting for this increase in the AMI ranges, but I notice they're still the same as last year in the new lotteries.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2017, 10:19 AM

602 posts, read 1,268,320 times
AMI is calculated yearly, my research into it indicates that it typically comes out mid-March. I don't know enough about it yet to hazard a guess regarding how the minimum wage increase will (or will not) be incorporated.

Old 02-25-2017, 10:52 AM

3,699 posts, read 3,870,913 times
Well with the increase in mimimum wage, the chances of those working minimum wage full time being pushed into the already ETREMELY overcrowded and overrepresented income band 3 is a reality. Income band 3 is the worst income band to be in for these lotteries because of the sheer number of people making those earnings.

Old 02-25-2017, 01:23 PM

1,214 posts, read 1,850,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarius37 View Post
Well with the increase in mimimum wage, the chances of those working minimum wage full time being pushed into the already ETREMELY overcrowded and overrepresented income band 3 is a reality. Income band 3 is the worst income band to be in for these lotteries because of the sheer number of people making those earnings.

What is "band 3"?

Also, the AMI can go down, as it did a few years ago.

Old 02-25-2017, 02:50 PM

3,699 posts, read 3,870,913 times
I think it's supposed to go down again in a month or so with the new rules... But it's a set amount. Band 3 is basically very middle low income, not super low income, not low income per se, but I think in the 80% bracket. or 60., but that might be band 2.!?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: