Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2016, 08:55 AM

19,049 posts, read 13,964,273 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeJones View Post
You're right, the other day I forgot to serve my kids a side of vegetables with their pasta. I guess me and drop-my-kid-in-the-elevator-shaft lady are even now
You're worse because you can't sue anyone for that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2016, 09:07 AM

19,061 posts, read 12,720,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarius37 View Post
^ what?

tragic stuff happens ALL the time. I'm sorry, but I don't want to cast hate on this woman for this tragic accident. Yes, she obviously could have stopped and looked if the elevator was actually there. Now every time I take an elevator I am going to stop and look if it's there. This was a tragic accident where someone lost their child. I don't think it's the same as people leaving their kids in hot cars or stuff like that, that's criminal negligence. This is not criminal negligence, it was a tragic accident.
It can't be criminal negligence for the sheer incompetence of the building's management - they are the ones who caused this to happen and they are legally responsible. That doesn't absolve, however, the parent's responsibility to guard their child against dangers such as cars, elevators, escalators, etc... Let's not forget who the victim is here - the child.

Old 10-17-2016, 09:11 AM

3,699 posts, read 3,856,184 times
I totally agree with you, but to think that people are always on guard 100% of the time in a situation such as walking into an elevator in your building is kinda off key. This is a freak accident and I do not blame the mother at all. I can't even imagine what she is going through right now.

Old 10-17-2016, 09:33 AM

12,789 posts, read 8,293,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
Yeah that's something she shouldn't be expected to see on her own: an empty elevator shaft. Definitely someone else's fault.
Completely agree. It takes what a second to look before you step onto an elevator. Nothing is that important that can't wait, but people can't wait for anything anymore. I see people running to get onto the elevator all of the time without looking as if there will never be another one.

Quote:
^ what?

tragic stuff happens ALL the time. I'm sorry, but I don't want to cast hate on this woman for this tragic accident. Yes, she obviously could have stopped and looked if the elevator was actually there. Now every time I take an elevator I am going to stop and look if it's there. This was a tragic accident where someone lost their child. I don't think it's the same as people leaving their kids in hot cars or stuff like that, that's criminal negligence. This is not criminal negligence, it was a tragic accident.
So you're saying that a tragic accident has to happen before you use common sense?

Old 10-17-2016, 09:38 AM

Yes, but empathy supercedes common sense in a tragedy like this.

Old 10-17-2016, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Yes, but empathy supercedes common sense in a tragedy like this.
Since it isn't clear why the mother did what she did, I'll withhold my empathy for now. The endless amount of people I see walking around NYC oblivious to their surroundings because they can't do anything without their cell phones (heaven forbid they actually looked where they were walking ) leads me to believe that mother was likely guilty of the same thing, otherwise I can't quite fathom how one doesn't see that the elevator isn't there. I use elevators numerous times a day (office building and residence) and I always take a second to look before I step in. Texting and everything else can wait, as my safety comes first. Some people walk and text on purpose, which is even worse. It's a tragedy, yes, but one that likely could've been avoided. Had the elevator jumped as she was stepping in (which happened years ago and crushed a lady), that I would've understood. I'll await more details on this one.

Old 10-17-2016, 10:49 AM

19,061 posts, read 12,720,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
I can't quite fathom how one doesn't see that the elevator isn't there. I use elevators numerous times a day (office building and residence) and I always take a second to look before I step in.
100% correct

Old 10-17-2016, 10:56 AM

6,191 posts, read 7,357,387 times
Quote:
I totally agree with you, but to think that people are always on guard 100% of the time in a situation such as walking into an elevator in your building is kinda off key.
Why? Am I the only person who doesn't blindly run onto an elevator? I look in before I get on and I look out before I get off of it. I also like to give people the chance to vacate the elevator if they need to do so.

It's kind of like being a pedestrian---I look before I cross the street, whether it's my light or not. And the same goes for driving---I might have a green light, but I am still responsible for braking when the moron is crossing against the light with his eyes glued to the phone.

Old 10-17-2016, 11:28 AM

Honestly, I don't recall any time I've walked into an elevator thinking it wouldn't be there. Apparently, I will now. Give this woman a break, she lost her kid.

Old 10-17-2016, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by city living View Post
Why? Am I the only person who doesn't blindly run onto an elevator? I look in before I get on and I look out before I get off of it. I also like to give people the chance to vacate the elevator if they need to do so.

It's kind of like being a pedestrian---I look before I cross the street, whether it's my light or not. And the same goes for driving---I might have a green light, but I am still responsible for braking when the moron is crossing against the light with his eyes glued to the phone.
You're one of only a handful these days...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City