Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2016, 12:36 AM

25,556 posts, read 24,010,568 times

Advertisements

https://www.dnainfo.com/new-york/201...harlem-portion

So the MTA will issue out the first three contracts for phase 2 of the Second Avenue Subway (96th Street/2nd to 125th and Lexington) this summer, and after then will soon start buying property and moving utilities. Cuomo decided to restore 1 billion worth of funding to phase 2. For any additional funds the MTA plans to get the money from the feds.

Phase one is set to open up in Dec. of this year. Phases 3-4 have not gotten any funding.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2016, 05:04 AM

43,748 posts, read 44,512,487 times
Looking forward to see the first section of the 2nd Avenue subway actually opening to public ridership. It is great that there is more funding for the second section. This is better than not having funding for any part of this line.

Old 04-03-2016, 02:58 PM

7,906 posts, read 7,913,387 times
I figured this was gonna happen. I'm excited about the SAS

Old 04-03-2016, 06:38 PM

1,119 posts, read 2,656,376 times
Second Avenue Subway phase 1 has 3 stations and 2-mile long tunnels. Construction started April 12, 2007, 9 years and counting. Current status: INCOMPLETE. Look back in history, Empire State Building was done in 13 months. Look around the world, China has built a nationwide high-speed rail network while we were dragging along the SAS. Oh, well.

Old 04-03-2016, 06:57 PM

6,680 posts, read 8,249,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bill83 View Post
Second Avenue Subway phase 1 has 3 stations and 2-mile long tunnels. Construction started April 12, 2007, 9 years and counting. Current status: INCOMPLETE. Look back in history, Empire State Building was done in 13 months. Look around the world, China has built a nationwide high-speed rail network while we were dragging along the SAS. Oh, well.
I'm so sick of all this talk and time and money on this SAS. In reality its not gonna do much for people. 3 stops, whop de do. It's only 1 mile and a quarter. Most people can walk that in 20 minutes. We need trains in the outer borough but that won't happen in my life time.

Old 04-03-2016, 06:59 PM

3,475 posts, read 3,284,571 times
I'm excited about it too and I don't even live there. I love watching the progress on it. I can't wait to see what changes this will bring in the future.

Old 04-03-2016, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by livingsinglenyc View Post
I'm so sick of all this talk and time and money on this SAS. In reality its not gonna do much for people. 3 stops, whop de do. It's only 1 mile and a quarter. Most people can walk that in 20 minutes. We need trains in the outer borough but that won't happen in my life time.
It will relieve overcrowding on the 4, 5, and 6. Phase One is 3 stops. The full length of the subway is 8.5 miles and 16 stops.

In this capital budget a new Metro North line going from the Bronx to Queens into Penn Station is funded. The construction of the LIRR into Penn Station is ongoing and funded.

The city just completed a study and is now working on funding a light rail line from Brooklyn to Queens. The state just approved funds for the MTA to do a study on reactivating the Rockaway Beach LIRR and running either LIRR from Penn Station to the Rockaways or trains from the Queens Blvd line to the Rockaways. So a lot is going on.

Old 04-03-2016, 07:58 PM

2,248 posts, read 2,353,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
It will relieve overcrowding on the 4, 5, and 6. Phase One is 3 stops. The full length of the subway is 8.5 miles and 16 stops.

In this capital budget a new Metro North line going from the Bronx to Queens into Penn Station is funded. The construction of the LIRR into Penn Station is ongoing and funded.

The city just completed a study and is now working on funding a light rail line from Brooklyn to Queens. The state just approved funds for the MTA to do a study on reactivating the Rockaway Beach LIRR and running either LIRR from Penn Station to the Rockaways or trains from the Queens Blvd line to the Rockaways. So a lot is going on.
Exactly, any improvement is a great one.

Old 04-03-2016, 08:00 PM

6,680 posts, read 8,249,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Yes but I probably won't see the full length of the subway in my life time. The fact it take YEARS to make a subway just over a mile long is laughable and a disgrace.

Old 04-03-2016, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by livingsinglenyc View Post
Yes but I probably won't see the full length of the subway in my life time. The fact it take YEARS to make a subway just over a mile long is laughable and a disgrace.
But it will eventually happen. Due to current politics they could not instantly get the entire thing funded at once. So the next best thing is to get the money to do what they can, while they can. The reason why phase one of the Second Avenue Subway could even happen is because the city finally opened up the 63rd Street tunnel in the late 80s. Said tunnel used to have trains that only went to 21st street, but now the F train runs through, while the LIRR to Grand Central is under construction underneathe.

NYC is going to be here after your lifetime and infrastructure improvements are not just for people currently alive, but for future generations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City