Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2016, 06:37 PM

5 posts, read 28,600 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I just found a room in a shared apartment on Granite Street (between Broadway Junction, Chauncey St and Bushwick Av Aberdeen St subway stops).

The place seems really nice, the roomates too. Although, the price of the rent is really low (compared to everything else). It's explain because the room is not very big, but I was wondering about the safety of the area.

From what I heard, Bushwick is a "tricky" area. Years ago it was really bad, now hipsters and couples are moving in this neighborhood. I also heard that some places in Bushwick are really good and safe, and some other are not at all.

What do you think ? I'm a french dude, 20 years old. I'm tall but thin as ****. I'll be living here for 6 months so I don't want to be freaked out everytime I come home a bit late etc.

Thanks, (and sorry if my English is not perfect, I'm here to improve it)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2016, 07:30 PM

368 posts, read 391,534 times
It isn't a very good neighborhood, and I think you would look like an obvious target.

Old 02-13-2016, 07:36 PM

****.. It's that bad ?

Old 02-13-2016, 07:54 PM

107 posts, read 219,322 times
There are much safer, and better areas with more amenities elsewhere.

What are you looking to pay?

Old 02-13-2016, 08:03 PM

My budget is about 800$ monthly. I can go for 900$ if I found something really really worth.

I'm looking for a housing since 2 weeks, and with my budget I can get something in Washington Heights, Harlem, Queens (Astoria, Ridgweood), and Brooklyn (Bedsuy, very rare, Bushwick etc).

I visited a place in Washington Heights two days ago after work, and the neighborhood was pretty worrying.

The place in Bushwick I'm visiting tomorrow, seems to be a great deal (several roomates, from my age, not expensive at all 550$/monthly, and furnished, I just need to spend 100$ more to buy the furnitures).

I feel like something is not "clear" with this prize, but...

Old 02-13-2016, 08:15 PM

Will you be a student or working nearby? Broadway Junction is a very unsafe area, one of the worst in Brooklyn. You might see younger white people there and generally you won't have problems during the day if you keep to yourself. Getting home late at night is something I wouldn't do in that area.

Check out Inwood west of Broadway in Manhattan, bay Ridge in Brooklyn Kingsbridge in the Bronx.

Old 02-13-2016, 08:21 PM

I work from 10am to 5pm in Manhattan (34st madison avenue).

The day is ok I think, but the night yeah not very reassuring.

I have also Chauncey St and Bushwick Aberdeen as subway stop, closest than Broadway Jct.

I mean, I can avoid Broadway Jct station I think. From Chauncey, I have two street to cross to get to the apartment (from what I saw on Google Map).

I'll visit the apartment tomorrow, I'll go down at Broadway jct, around 11am I think. I'll see how bad it is...

Old 02-13-2016, 08:26 PM

In that case, look into crown Heights as west as you can afford. Commute will be better.

Old 02-13-2016, 10:20 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,969,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moustiquerino View Post
My budget is about 800$ monthly. I can go for 900$ if I found something really really worth.

I'm looking for a housing since 2 weeks, and with my budget I can get something in Washington Heights, Harlem, Queens (Astoria, Ridgweood), and Brooklyn (Bedsuy, very rare, Bushwick etc).

I visited a place in Washington Heights two days ago after work, and the neighborhood was pretty worrying.

The place in Bushwick I'm visiting tomorrow, seems to be a great deal (several roomates, from my age, not expensive at all 550$/monthly, and furnished, I just need to spend 100$ more to buy the furnitures).

I feel like something is not "clear" with this prize, but...
Maybe you'll luck out on the place in Bushwick. Don't prejudge until you actually visit the place.

And basically you should be reasonably safe in those neighborhoods. Most of the victims of crimes in those neighborhoods are criminals. You might not want to come home drunk late though. For that just take Uber or Lyft home and you'll be fine.

Old 02-14-2016, 02:34 AM

11,554 posts, read 9,324,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
You might not want to come home drunk late though. For that just take Uber or Lyft home and you'll be fine.
The price of Uber/taxi is something to take into account. If he likes going out at night twice a week all that taxi money will add up quickly
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City