Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2008, 06:26 PM

4 posts, read 51,726 times

Advertisements

What's the border of East Williamsburg and Bushwick?

Also, if you happen to know the area.. I'm moving to Bushwick Ave near the Central Av subway station, would this be considered a non-safe area for a young woman? It seems to be a common answer that every corner is different in terms of safety in Bushwick so if anyone can give me some specific info i'd really appreciate it!

Oh, and subway stations... what's safer, Myrtle Av or Central Av? Both? Neither? Depends?

Cheers!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2008, 08:04 PM

25 posts, read 172,480 times
You're realtor lied to you.....there is no East Williamsburg. Either you are in the 'hood or the gentrified 'hood. I ride the M line every day. Are you referring to Myrtle-Wycoff or Myrtle-Broadway Station. I suggest you take a ride on the J/Z and realize what you are getting yourself into.

Old 01-07-2008, 08:58 PM

4 posts, read 51,726 times
- Myrtle Broadway

and yeah, I would've visited before-hand except I don't live in the states. I've lived in NYC before but not Bushwick.

Old 01-07-2008, 09:34 PM

1,121 posts, read 6,552,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by l'angleterre View Post
What's the border of East Williamsburg and Bushwick?

Also, if you happen to know the area.. I'm moving to Bushwick Ave near the Central Av subway station, would this be considered a non-safe area for a young woman? It seems to be a common answer that every corner is different in terms of safety in Bushwick so if anyone can give me some specific info i'd really appreciate it!
What separates Williamsburg and Bushwick is Flushing Av. That area you're at is ugh. It's not as dangerous and the eastern end of Bushwick near East New York, but it's not a cakewalk either. The more obvious gentrified area would be along the L, near Wychoff Av.

Quote:
Originally Posted by l'angleterre View Post
Oh, and subway stations... what's safer, Myrtle Av or Central Av? Both? Neither? Depends?

Cheers!
Your closer to Central Av., so stick to it. But between those 2 in terms of safety, I would say Central Av. is calmer.

Old 01-11-2008, 06:29 PM

99 posts, read 729,892 times
Hope you wear running shoes!

Old 01-14-2008, 05:53 PM

510 posts, read 2,243,421 times
I would really consider getting your money back. The area is NOT safe no matter how your realtor tried to spin it. I am a 28 year old white male and I do not feel safe walking around that area. I would dread the thought of my girlfriend living in that area.

Yes, there are excellent parties, concerts, and big raw spaces in the area but move elsewhere and take a car service in.

FYI, the Bushwick "scene" is clustered around the Morgan L stop. Even that supposedly up-and-coming neighborhood has a long way to go. The area around the Central Ave JMZ stop is a verrrrrry bad idea for a single girl.

Old 01-14-2008, 09:05 PM

1,669 posts, read 6,397,108 times
The area is not safe for anyone. Realtors will sell you a dream. Central Ave or Myrtle, what's the difference. None, crime remain the same. The only difference is that realtors, landlords are trying to make you believe that you are in Williamsburg or a neighborhood with a upswing. No disrespect to the caucasian commuinity, please visit before laying down money. I've seen a co-worker relocating from California, thinking she's in Williamsburg, when in fact her apt was in Bushwick. As a black woman with two relatives on Stockholm and Wyckoff I would not live there.

Old 01-14-2008, 10:14 PM

1,121 posts, read 6,552,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arussell View Post
As a black woman with two relatives on Stockholm and Wyckoff I would not live there.
What's so dangerous about that area?

Old 01-14-2008, 10:19 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,119,784 times
Maybe arussell will come back and explain, but I actually read that differently than you did. What I read was that she was saying the area the OP mentioned (Bushwick near Central Ave) was dangerous and she wouldn't live there. The way I read the sentence about Wyckoff was that she was saying she has relatives in that area, therefore she is a person who is familiar with Bushwick and not someone who has never been there -- and therefore someone who is qualified to comment.

Old 01-15-2008, 02:30 AM

4,437 posts, read 7,670,391 times
Correct. Bushwick is still the hood. At the same time, the poster will have to get a feel for herself of the neighborhood. And yes, realtors can and will wrongly give a neighborhood a false name, so be careful of that!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City