Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-01-2014, 08:43 PM

132 posts, read 282,474 times

Advertisements

In February of 1952, New York City's Department of Traffic revealed the first pedestrian signals that showed "DONT WALK" and "WALK."

Manufactured by the Crouse-Hinds company, the units were horizontal in appearance, and a handful of this kind were in service at Times Square in the borough Manhattan. One of the first handful (as shown in the photograph below) was installed by then traffic commissioner T.T. Wiley and a worker.

At the time, these pedestrian signals functioned with two-section (red and green) traffic signals, and they were attached to the existing poles the traffic signals were mounted on. A rather simple arm/guy wire set-up held each pedestrian signal like so.

The sequence of this pedestrian signal functioned exactly like the "Barnes dance," which future New York City traffic commissioner Henry Barnes would experiment with to a great extent at many New York City intersections. The first direction of vehicular traffic had the right-of-way, while pedestrians waited to cross. Once the first phase terminated, then the second platoon of vehicles on the cross street were allowed to proceed. During an all-red, pedestrians were then allowed to cross when the green "WALK" indication appeared illuminated. It lasted 11 seconds, which was then followed by a flashing "DONT WALK" clearance. Pedestrians had ample to time to cross safely at this time. Then a steady "DONT WALK" indication appeared. The entire cycle (based on 60 seconds) repeated itself.

Because of the design of the pedestrian signal, some New Yorkers were rather confused by the red "DONT" and green "WALK" both lit at the same time. T.T. Wiley would realize this was a failure to the improvement of the safety of pedestrians, and, as a result, he discontinued future production of the Crouse-Hinds units, not to mention removed those that were already in service by 1955.

Thus, the new design (from T.T. Wiley's staff) and introduction of the first bi-modal neon units from Winko-Matic, which would prove to be successful at the time of their debut.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2014, 09:10 PM

8,103 posts, read 6,745,378 times
What a huge waste of tax payer money.

Old 10-01-2014, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Above Average Bear View Post
What a huge waste of tax payer money.
New York City's Department of Traffic implemented the pedestrian safety program in 1952, which was at the same time these first units appeared. In the past, there were other methods that attempted to improve pedestrian safety, but they were not successful.

T.T. Wiley admitted the first pedestrian signals were unsuccessful, due to a design flaw from the manufacturer. Though future units (from a different manufacturer) that were installed by the city's Department of Traffic decreased the common risk among pedestrians (based upon observations at certain areas for a certain period of time).

Old 10-01-2014, 10:37 PM

8,103 posts, read 6,745,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SI197981 View Post
New York City's Department of Traffic implemented the pedestrian safety program in 1952, which was at the same time these first units appeared. In the past, there were other methods that attempted to improve pedestrian safety, but were not apparently successful.

T.T. Wiley admitted the first pedestrian signals were unsuccessful, due to a design flaw from the manufacturer. Though future units (from a different manufacturer) that were installed by the city's Department of Traffic decreased the common risk among pedestrians (based upon observations at certain areas for a certain period of time).
The design flaw resides in NYC pedestrians. It's in the brain, right around the area that regulates following directions.

Old 10-02-2014, 08:01 AM

8,011 posts, read 11,398,173 times
why do you keep taking us back in time with these antiques, man??

Old 10-02-2014, 12:20 PM

1,653 posts, read 2,306,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11KAP View Post
Keeping certain aspects of the past alive helps you appreciate the present day.

Old 10-02-2014, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11KAP View Post
I have an interest in New York City's traffic control history, and I intend to preserve it, because its background is significant in many ways, which greatly stems to present day. I study and do research on my own time to educate people about my findings and what I know that helped to improve everyday traffic in New York City one step further.

I do what I enjoy to do, and, if you could care less, then that is okay with me. Like almost everything else that you could think of, there is a history behind the signals that control everyday traffic in the city of New York.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: