Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-23-2007, 10:36 AM

35 posts, read 241,973 times

Advertisements

We are thinking of moving to an area in Brooklyn like Park Slope or somewhere similar. Does anyone know of a good public school that is bilingual...meaning they teach half the day in Spanish or French and the other half in English. I'm looking for a good school that is not private. I can't really afford bilingual private schools.

If there isn't one in Brooklyn, is there one in Queens or somewhere that is a safe, family friendly neighborhood with plenty of amenities and things to walk to? We aren't stuck on Brooklyn or Queens but we are not open to the Bronx.

Any advice would help. thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2007, 12:47 PM

110 posts, read 355,756 times
maybe you are looking for a public school that teaches American English in french or spanish (ESL)? because there is no practical reason for American public schools to present math, science, history... material in foreign languages. such a thing doesnt really exist in this country.

since many public schools in NYC have majority immigrant populations from Haiti, Mexico, and Latin America, they usually have classes that are taught in those languages.

You should look into public schools in Haitian, Latin nieghborhoods. You can contact the Board of Ed http://schools.nyc.gov/ to find out more.

Old 12-23-2007, 01:00 PM

9 posts, read 71,107 times
Default bilingual

PS 87 on the upper west side has a "dual immersion" program for Spanish and English. It's MWF Eng, TT Span I think. You have to start your kid in K unless s/he is already bilingual. It's a good program, but not for every kid (ie very hard esp if only 1 language is spoken at home). Lookd for other dual immersion programs, there aren't that many in NYC. More focus on ESL than teaching a 2nd lang here. Also consider financial aid at a school like Lycee Francais or UN School.

Old 12-24-2007, 10:41 AM

Of course there is a practical reason for them to teach those subjects in another language other than english.
I know of plenty of public schools in other states that do this so I don't think it is out of the question to ask that there be one in NY.
I'm not looking for ESL. I'm looking for a bilingual curriculum so that my daughter can be fluent in another language other than English. We already speak to her in English and Spanish because I have a degree in Spanish but it would be nice for her to continue to learn another language in school too. Not just from her classmates but so that she can learn how to read and write bilingually as well.

Old 12-24-2007, 07:01 PM

34 posts, read 153,370 times
I think finding what your looking for in a *public* school isn't going to easy (or even possible).

Old 12-24-2007, 08:40 PM

81 posts, read 410,947 times
I did some research and found one! P.S. 24 in Sunset Park, Brooklyn is a dual-language immersion school in which half the subjects are taught in English, half in Spanish. Is that what you're looking for? Go to InsideSchools.org if you want to check it out/

Old 12-24-2007, 08:42 PM

4,502 posts, read 13,466,626 times
If you have a degree in Spanish, then why don't you teach her to write in Spanish?

I also agree that you're not going to find this in a public school. You're going to have to lay out the tuition for a private school if you want her to have half a school day taught in another language. You may also consider hiring private tutors to teach her whatever other languages you want her to speak.

Most of the language programs in schools are for ESL to teach foreign born kids to speak, read & write in English or for kids who were born here & don't speak English to learn it.

I think the best you will do is when your child hits the upper grades and can take elective classes.

Old 12-28-2007, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrudiRose View Post
I did some research and found one! P.S. 24 in Sunset Park, Brooklyn is a dual-language immersion school in which half the subjects are taught in English, half in Spanish. Is that what you're looking for? Go to InsideSchools.org if you want to check it out/
This is exactly what I'm looking for. Thank you!

I don't know why it is so hard for people to understand that dual language learning is a good thing. I do speak and teach my daughter Spanish but it's better if she can be immersed in it while in school ALSO. The more you use the language the better you are at it. Schools in other countries learn in their native languages along with English. If the U.S. were more open to learning about other cultures and their languages we'd probably be in a better state. Also, if there is a PUBLIC school in Alaska (the place that most would not expect there to be) among other places where they teach half the day in English - half in Spanish then it shouldn't be so hard to find in NY. NY is supposed to have everything right? They do exist. You don't always have to send them to a private school.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City