Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-20-2014, 10:52 PM

2,625 posts, read 3,411,439 times

Advertisements

Questions for those of you who live in Manhattan:

Just curious, as I always see cars all around Manhattan . . . not just cars being on the roads and streets but parked everywhere on the streets and in garages, lots, et al. I don't assume that these are ALL vehicles owned by others who don't live in Manhattan and are just visiting Manhattan but that some of them must belong to Manhattan residents as well. So my questions are as follows:

1. Do you own an automobile of whatever type while living in Manhattan? If yes, what type of auto is it (i.e., car, minivan, full-size van, pickup truck, trailer)?
  2. Where do you keep your car parked each day while living in Manhattan? (a) Is it in a garage built into your apartment building or otherwise in a commercial garage or parking lot? If a commercial garage or parking lot, how close to your home is it? (b) Or do you have arrangements with a friend or family member or relative or neighbor or someone else let you keep your vehicle parked on their home or business property (e.g., in their driveway)? (c) Or do you own your own townhouse or brownstone or other type of private home in Manhattan with its own built-in garage in which you keep your vehicle parked? (d) Or do you own your own business or company or professional practice located in Manhattan and you have parking at your own business or company or professional practice building in which you keep your car parked daily? (NOTE: I don't imagine that anyone tries to simply keep their vehicle parked on the street each and every day.)
  3. For that matter, do you, in fact, keep your vehicle parked in Manhattan while living in Manhattan, or instead, do you keep your vehicle parked outside Manhattan somewhere (e.g., in Queens, Brooklyn, Bronx, New Jersey)?
  4. (If you don't mind sharing this info, which is entirely up to you): Which neighborhood in Manhattan do your reside in?
  5. (If you don't mind sharing this info, which is entirely up to you): Assuming you don't get to park your vehicle for free daily, how much does it cost you to park your vehicle? (i.e., state the cost and for what time stretch, such as weekly, monthly, quarterly, or yearly)? Or do you, in fact, get your park your vehicle for free daily?
  6. And finally, do you use your vehicle to drive to work in Manhattan daily or to shop in Manhattan or to visit other Manhattan dwellers in their homes or to dine out or pursue whatever type of recreation in Manhattan? Or instead, do you pretty much only use your vehicle to drive OUTSIDE OF Manhattan for whatever purpose and choose instead to get around Manhattan by walking or subway or bus or taxi or bicycle or motorcycle/motorscooter?
In the end, I'm curious if you find it rather burdensome to own a car while living in Manhattan in terms of the cost and availability of parking and in terms of how dense and congested Manhattan is or must be to drive around and through with any regularity (compared to the other boroughs or outside NYC for that matter).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2014, 11:00 PM

Default How many Manhattan residents own a car, where do you park it, and how much does it cost you to park your car?

Questions for those of you who live in Manhattan:

Just curious, as I always see cars all around Manhattan . . . not just cars being on the roads and streets but parked everywhere on the streets and in garages, lots, et al. I don't assume that these are ALL vehicles owned by others who don't live in Manhattan and are just visiting Manhattan but that some of them must belong to Manhattan residents as well. So my questions are as follows:

1. Do you own an automobile of whatever type while living in Manhattan? If yes, what type of auto is it (i.e., car, minivan, full-size van, pickup truck, trailer)?
  2. Where do you keep your car parked each day while living in Manhattan? (a) Is it in a garage built into your apartment building or a parking lot attached to your building or otherwise parked in some commercial garage or parking lot? If a commercial garage or parking lot, how close to your home is it? (b) Or do you have arrangements with a friend or family member or relative or neighbor or someone else let you keep your vehicle parked on their home or business property (e.g., in their driveway)? (c) Or do you own your own townhouse or brownstone or other type of private home in Manhattan with its own built-in garage in which you keep your vehicle parked? (d) Or do you own your own business or company or professional practice located in Manhattan and you have parking at your own business or company or professional practice building in which you keep your car parked daily? (NOTE: I don't imagine that anyone tries to simply keep their vehicle parked on the street each and every day.)
  3. For that matter, do you, in fact, keep your vehicle parked in Manhattan while living in Manhattan, or instead, do you keep your vehicle parked outside Manhattan somewhere (e.g., in Queens, Brooklyn, Bronx, New Jersey)?
  4. (If you don't mind sharing this info, which is entirely up to you): Which neighborhood in Manhattan do your reside in?
  5. (If you don't mind sharing this info, which is entirely up to you): Assuming you don't get to park your vehicle for free daily, how much does it cost you to park your vehicle? (i.e., state the cost and for what time stretch, such as weekly, monthly, quarterly, or yearly)? Or do you, in fact, get to park your vehicle for free daily?
  6. And finally, if you work as well in Manhattan, do you use your vehicle to drive to work in Manhattan daily? Or do you work outside Manhattan and use your vehicle to drive to work outside Manhattan daily? And do you shop in Manhattan using your vehicle or visit other Manhattan dwellers in their homes using your vehicle or dine out or pursue whatever type of recreation in Manhattan using your vehicle? Or instead, do you pretty much try to limit the use of your vehicle to drive OUTSIDE OF Manhattan for whatever purpose and choose instead to get around Manhattan by walking or subway or bus or taxi or bicycle or motorcycle/motorscooter?

In the end, I'm curious if you find it rather burdensome to own a vehicle of whatever type while living in Manhattan in terms of the cost and availability of parking and in terms of how dense and congested Manhattan is or must be to drive around it and through it with any regularity (compared to the other boroughs or outside of New York City proper for that matter).

Last edited by UsAll; 06-20-2014 at 11:22 PM..

Old 06-21-2014, 04:21 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,447,987 times
A breakdown is given on page 17. Only about 20-25% of households have a car in Manhattan, even excluding poorer Upper Manhattan.

http://www.nyc.gov/html/dcp/pdf/mn_c...core_study.pdf

Old 06-21-2014, 05:12 AM

10,786 posts, read 11,307,745 times
I owned a station wagon when I lived in Midtown Manhattan. And I used it to commute to work in Lower Manhattan while keeping a bike in the trunk in case my parking spot on either end wasn't close enough to my apartment or office. I parked on the streets and only used a garage if desperate.

There was also a time when I'd park my car in LIC or Greenpoint, but that was back when those nabes were mostly industrial.

Old 06-21-2014, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
A breakdown is given on page 17. Only about 20-25% of households have a car in Manhattan, even excluding poorer Upper Manhattan.

http://www.nyc.gov/html/dcp/pdf/mn_c...core_study.pdf
Thank you for this very useful and informative report reference, NEI.

Old 06-21-2014, 08:59 AM

2,565 posts, read 5,511,840 times
I live uptown in West Harlem, but work out on the Queens/Nassau border and have a car.

There are no garages near me (closest one is about 8 blocks away), so I park on the street. During the day, parking is fine and I can usually get a spot right in front of my building or very close. Late at night though it gets pretty tough. Most of the garages in the extended area are around $200 a month, which I would gladly pay if only there was one nearby.

Street cleaning in my neighborhood isn't until 11am, so it's not a big deal if I have to run down and move it to the other side of the street for an hour and a half.

Old 06-21-2014, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Febtober View Post
I live uptown in West Harlem, but work out on the Queens/Nassau border and have a car.

There are no garages near me (closest one is about 8 blocks away), so I park on the street. During the day, parking is fine and I can usually get a spot right in front of my building or very close. Late at night though it gets pretty tough. Most of the garages in the extended area are around $200 a month, which I would gladly pay if only there was one nearby.

Street cleaning in my neighborhood isn't until 11am, so it's not a big deal if I have to run down and move it to the other side of the street for an hour and a half.

It must be annoying and burdensome to some degree, though, to always have to be around your home each single day of the week to possibly have to move your car and find another place to park. Unless you have other persons (family, friends, relatives, neighbors) who have key access to your car and they can move the car for you in your absence if you have to be away from home for a while but are leaving your car behind.

Are there times when you simply cannot find parking on your home's block or very nearby and have to park it at a notably greater distance?

Old 06-21-2014, 01:16 PM

2,727 posts, read 2,832,514 times
It's usually too expensive for those of us in manhattan that work for a living....you know, unless you're getting subsidized living in nycha and get to park for next to nothing right in front of your house for, you guessed it, a subsidized price! Must be since they're sooo busy driving back and forth to their three full time jobs

Old 06-21-2014, 01:22 PM

2,565 posts, read 5,511,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UsAll View Post
It must be annoying and burdensome to some degree, though, to always have to be around your home each single day of the week to possibly have to move your car and find another place to park. Unless you have other persons (family, friends, relatives, neighbors) who have key access to your car and they can move the car for you in your absence if you have to be away from home for a while but are leaving your car behind.

Are there times when you simply cannot find parking on your home's block or very nearby and have to park it at a notably greater distance?
It's rarely an issue. If I'm working a day shift, the street cleaning doesn't affect me because I'm at work when it's going on. If I worked an overnight shift and am coming home at 6:30 in the morning, I can usually get a spot on the right side of the street since most people are getting up and heading to work at that time. The only time it's really tough is late at night.

But yeah, there have been a handful of times when I've had to park pretty far. There's an overpass on Riverside Drive in the 120's that usually has parking, even late at night, and I've had to park there a few times. That's about 3/4ths of a mile from my apartment.

My girlfriend and I go out of town on a lot of weekend trips, but I drive for that, so what to do with the car isn't an issue. If I'm going on a long trip (I went on a cruise earlier this year), I leave my car at work and then take the train back into the city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: