Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-26-2014, 12:01 PM

3 posts, read 9,418 times

Advertisements

My wife and I have outgrown our Brooklyn apartment and are looking for a better bang for our buck in Long Island (or New Jersey if it makes sense). My wife has to end up in Midtown which LI is very well designed for, however, I need to find my way into Bay Ridge, Brooklyn which is the western most point of the island.

My office hours in Bay Ridge are 9:30AM-6:30PM. I'm not sure if it helps or hurts the potential commute.

Are there any nice towns with decent schools and young professionals in the community that would not be a nightmare commute driving into Bay Ridge? What could I expect from say, Rockville Center? Are there areas that have a decent rail commute (30 minutes into Atlantic Station) where I can transfer to the R line?

Any help would be appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2014, 12:24 PM

3,445 posts, read 6,066,898 times
Even with a slightly later schedule your drive, even from Rockville Center, into Bay Ridge will not be pleasant. The only option you really have is the Belt Pkwy and that will not be an easy commute.

Old 02-26-2014, 02:08 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,496,782 times
All the lines except the Port Washington line you can transfer at Jamaica for Atlantic Terminal, and many have a few direct trains rush hour. From Rockville Centre, the time to Atlantic Terminal is about 37 minutes.

The express N/D runs on the same platform as the R at Atlantic Terminal. So if either come first, you could take it and then switch to the R

Old 02-26-2014, 04:42 PM

897 posts, read 1,253,338 times
Bay Ridge is a problem man, because from LI you'll either take the LIE to the BQE (nightmare) OR you'll take the Southern State (OK) into the belt pkwy (nightmare).

As far as train, I don't know - does the 7 make it all the way out to LI? If so, maybe that's good. I would avoid taking the LIRR to the subway personally.

Good luck either way, doesn't sound like the most friendly commute

Old 02-27-2014, 07:47 PM

6,191 posts, read 7,358,901 times
I have this commute in the opposite direction.

I work nights so the drive to LI isn't bad but when I leave work at 7 AM (LI), I'm in traffic most of the way. And I'm really only a few exits into LI on the Southern State so I'm not coming from very far. You'll probably be on the Belt Parkway, like yours truly, and stuck in traffic as well. To give you an idea, my ride to work will take me 25-30 minutes but the ride home is ALWAYS over an hour unless it's a weekend or holiday. It's actually an easy drive and pretty much a straight shot but you'll be in traffic.

Depending on where you end up, you could potentially take the LIE to the BQE but IMO, that's usually a worse drive and there seems to be an accident on the LIE everyday.

I have a co-worker who used to commute from Brooklyn by train but it was a LONG ride. She eventually moved closer to work. Sure you don't want to buy a coop in Bay Ridge?

Old 02-28-2014, 10:37 AM

633 posts, read 1,165,108 times
I wouldnt want to commute from there to Bay Ridge. My dad commuted to the Brooklyn VA in Fort Hamiliton, Brooklyn from Jackson Heights, Queens for 20+ years....brutal!!!! That is why we never moved out to LI
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City