Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2014, 11:56 PM

2,679 posts, read 1,716,235 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mighty_Pelican View Post

If that is the feeling I got as a paid intern, being an unpaid intern has got to be at least ten billion times worse. How do unpaid interns survive in the city? Why would anyone work for free in such an expensive city?
Well the ones I've known lived with their parents or commuted.

Do you live alone? If you don't have parents that can pay your rent or someone you can stay with that is going to be rough.

"Interns" should just be called unpaid workers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2014, 12:43 AM

16,200 posts, read 23,185,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taxi guy View Post
Two words, Monica Lewinsky.
She deserves intern of the century award. More female interns should follow Monica Lewinsky lead!

Old 01-25-2014, 06:42 AM

1,356 posts, read 1,953,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
I'm going to ignore the NY-bashing because it's not useful. Some people hate NY for plenty of good reasons, and simply shouldn't live here. And that's fine.

Here are the answers to your questions:

1. They often survive by having parents foot the bill.

2. They would work for free in such an expensive city because they have high ambition. I'm sure there could be other answers as well, but NYC tends to draw ambitious people who want to have a good start on a great career, and they may see an opportunity in NYC as a way to begin.
It's easy to have "ambition" and dwyl when your parents are footing the bill.

Old 01-25-2014, 08:46 AM

12,339 posts, read 26,267,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Octa View Post
It's easy to have "ambition" and dwyl when your parents are footing the bill.
Is it? I have heard of more dead-beat kids and adult kids that I can count who have rich parents and end up being good-for-nothings their entire life because they always had everything handed to them.

It's easy to have ambition when you're not rich, too. You sound bitter.

Old 01-25-2014, 12:00 PM

213 posts, read 510,689 times
I've been able to pursue unpaid internships in my field (currently in my second one) mostly because I still live at home, and because my parent is understanding of my soul-crushing struggle to "make it" in my career. Apart from food and shelter, I've fended for myself through part-time work, and full-time work when I'm not interning. Seeing as my family and I are decidedly working-class and living paycheck to paycheck, there's no way in hell I would've been able to intern otherwise.

It's frustrating having the double whammy of being unpaid and just over broke. Interning cuts into the hours I could otherwise spend working to keep my head above water. Many of the interns I've worked alongside with are from well-off families, and have their parents pay most, if not all of their expenses. While they've been hard-working, ambitious and humble, I can't help but feel pangs of envy and bitterness at times, as their support system puts them ahead of me as far as networking and opportunities go. On the other hand, I've found myself struggling just to hold on to my internship, and not give it up altogether because of the bills that need to be paid.

Old 01-25-2014, 12:37 PM

20,548 posts, read 17,897,331 times
If you ask around all those good looking women that work in the fashion or advertising industry, they all look like model material but they are paid like crap. They're all there because they're looking to hook-up or arrangement with a rich investment banker or lawyer. Just having a daytime job to pay for their clothes and makeup is enough for them.

Old 01-25-2014, 12:46 PM

1,431 posts, read 2,631,913 times
Unpaid internships should be illegal--they get around the labor laws because in theory it's "education" for the intern, but in practice it's just free labor for the company.

Old 01-25-2014, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
Is it? I have heard of more dead-beat kids and adult kids that I can count who have rich parents and end up being good-for-nothings their entire life because they always had everything handed to them.

It's easy to have ambition when you're not rich, too. You sound bitter.
The next time you decide you want to jump to anecdotes and psychoanalyzing my post, go look at the information pertaining to the rise of the unpaid internship and how those little microeconomies are sustained(spoiler alert: rich parents).

Old 01-25-2014, 02:24 PM

3,244 posts, read 5,270,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Octa View Post
The next time you decide you want to jump to anecdotes and psychoanalyzing my post, go look at the information pertaining to the rise of the unpaid internship and how those little microeconomies are sustained(spoiler alert: rich parents).
You still sound bitter!

Old 01-25-2014, 03:54 PM

I'm smelling a troll.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City