Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-04-2014, 03:02 PM

50 posts, read 98,493 times

Advertisements

I got a DUI a few months ago in the city.

Getting insurance after the "incident" appears to me more of a hassle than it's worth.

This SR22 nonsense, DMV registering, etc. etc. is a thorn in my side.

Can anyone point me in the direction of cheap auto insurance in the NYC area following a DUI?

I don't want to pay the $500/month rates that I'm getting quoted.

Thanks

(Please spare me the lectures from people on their high horses.. I messed up, I know. Thanks)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2014, 03:05 PM

12,115 posts, read 33,670,625 times
no because with the DUI you generally cant get insured in the voluntary market, you get relegated to a state insurance plan (or at least thats what they tell us in the defensive driving class and according to the DMV manual) and i doubt you have any other choice.

Old 01-04-2014, 03:08 PM

I don't think that's true. I just need to fill out an SR22 form. (An SR-22 is a certificate mandated by the state and provided by your auto insurance company that verifies that you have auto insurance liability coverage. The SR-22 is also a promise to the state from your insurance that they will notify the state immediately if there is a lapse in coverage, and if there is, they will revoke your license.)

Old 01-04-2014, 03:17 PM

i remember a statement from the DMV manual that you can no longer buy insurance on the voluntary market after a DWI. are these private companies that are quoting you or are they state policies? speak to the DMV or your agent, they probably know more

Old 01-04-2014, 03:19 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,292,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesfenimorecooper View Post
I don't think that's true. I just need to fill out an SR22 form. (An SR-22 is a certificate mandated by the state and provided by your auto insurance company that verifies that you have auto insurance liability coverage. The SR-22 is also a promise to the state from your insurance that they will notify the state immediately if there is a lapse in coverage, and if there is, they will revoke your license.)
The trick is getting an insurance company that WANTS to insure you without charging you an arm and a leg.

That is why rlrl mentioned the NYS Insurance Pool ... that is where the drivers go insurers feel are very risky ... insurers take turns insuring those people. For instance, brand new drivers who have never had insurance before start out there with their first car.

Old 01-04-2014, 03:21 PM

DUI Car Insurance: Finding Affordable Coverage - CarsDirect

heres a link

Old 01-04-2014, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlrl View Post
i remember a statement from the DMV manual that you can no longer buy insurance on the voluntary market after a DWI. are these private companies that are quoting you or are they state policies? speak to the DMV or your agent, they probably know more
Well, the cheapest I found so far was this one - Get New York Auto Insurance Quotes At NewYorkMotorInsurance.com , but now you have me worried that it might not be legit. So, I need to find a state policy?

Old 01-04-2014, 03:27 PM

i remember when i bought my 1992 Toyota Tercel i switched from Hanover Insurance to Allstate

my new Allstate agent noticed that my former Hanover Policy seemed like an assigned risk plan but she was wrong (possibly because it didn't offer a 6 month renewal or something...). My new Allstate agent at first wouldnt sell me the insurance but she had to call Hanover to verify that it was not an assigned risk plan

my point is that you might have to pay at least 6 months or even an entire year of premiums up front and you may not have the luxury of deferred payment plans after a DUI

Old 01-04-2014, 03:30 PM

it could be legit but you have to provide info about your conviction and they will pull your driving record so you can get your quote

again, your agent or the DMV can be clear about this

Old 01-04-2014, 03:35 PM

maybe that SR22 makes any policy become a state policy i don't really know. its like being supervised by the govt, you don't have the freedom you once had

again your agent can direct you to any choices you may have. they can't recommend specific companies but they can answer the question about the state policy better than i can

maybe you can still be insured with your company just at a much higher rate
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City