Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What is more important to you?
Love 18 64.29%
Career 10 35.71%
Voters: 28. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2013, 05:29 AM

3,076 posts, read 5,496,338 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastBoundandDownChick View Post
No, they didn't catch the person so I pretty much got screwed on that one. But luckily I have good insurance and most of my truly sentimental stuff is at my family's home in Michigan. Some of the things taken will never be replaced but I can't control that. Just thankful to be alive and safe, and hope most of you (the non-crabby ones) are having a good holiday thus far. Somehow being stripped bare of everything of value made me realize they can't take what's inside your soul. I initially freaked out because I lost half my wardrobe and couldn't dress properly for work. But the love came back to me, even though I was dressed like a mess for a few days. I cannot even believe still how much care, concern, and support everyone has given me. I thought I was going to fall apart things got so rough but friends and family got me through it. On this forum and IRL, luckily there are still a lot of good people out there.

I doubt that the person who did this to me will ever be caught. I assume it was for drug money, because I have a hard time wrapping my brain around the idea that someone would have done this consciously. It is scary because there is no doorman in my building. I wasn't the only one hit, and this building has basically been on lockdown ever since. Can I just say, seriously, I HATE the people who leave the door open for the person behind them. There should be a law to make that a $1500 fine or something in this city because it's NEVER okay. Maybe one day I will be rich enough for proper security. I guess that's my goal for 2014. I tried to save money on rent, look where it got me. Penny wise and pound foolish. Well, not exactly pennies but I still am beating myself up over it. Anyway, cheers to everyone on CD and hopefully we have a good New Year.

I am not drinking 100 year old scotch on the roof right now LOL. Try a 1992 bordeaux that came out for the season on a hardwood floor. It is very, very silent in here. Very empty. And thank God my client gave to me, because I think I would lose my mind drinking that cheap sh*t right now. The other thing I have learned: the closer to Christmas Day, the higher the quality of alcohol you need. These are things I wished people had told me growing up. You can't joke around with the Absolut or any of that crap once this time of year hits. You need the real sh*t. And other than good people, that is what I am most grateful for. Once you let love embrace you, the rest becomes easy. But when you get to be alone, at peace... with God... that is the best. I feel at peace. Even though I have nothing but a check and little else. He walks with us, at strange times.
I am so sorry this happened to you, what a nightmare.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2013, 05:52 AM

11,879 posts, read 14,200,113 times
For me Career is the most important living in the exurbs of NYC. You NEED sufficient income to support yourself out here, and the cost of living is much higher than most of the USA (besides Coastal California cities). Its not that I don't value love, but a decent career will provide you with a much better sense of financial relief and make you feel more confident.

Finding time for love is difficult, and I very well understand that NYC is a high stress work environment. My dad is completely worn out after working in this area for close to 20 years. However, if possible on weekends (possibly Sunday nights), try calling him over and go out to eat or on a walk. Try to forget about work and other tasks for those couple hours, and come back happy after spending some time with your loved one outdoors. Trust me, this frees up your brain and improves your mood which helps you perform your tasks in a more efficient manner.

Worst comes to worst, quit and work for a company within the same field of study which allows you to balance work and personal life. However, don't give up your career completely. As a senior year college student, I would be really glad right now to Get a job in the NYC area. However, it looks like that's a long lost dream at this point .

Wish you a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year .

Old 12-24-2013, 01:51 PM

25,368 posts, read 37,053,451 times
Gosh,
Can we choose LONG WALKS ON THE BEACH?

Jesus, LOVE or CAREER? You've seen too many really bad movies.

Old 12-26-2013, 04:37 AM

1,739 posts, read 2,566,942 times
Long walks on the beach? Here?? I don't have the time or the money to go to the tropics, wtf. And, yes, I enjoy bad romantic/satirical films. That is where the inspiration for this thread came from *rolls eyes*.

Old 12-26-2013, 08:13 AM

4,294 posts, read 4,424,318 times
Quote:
I think I would lose my mind drinking that cheap sh*t right now. The other thing I have learned: the closer to Christmas Day, the higher the quality of alcohol you need.
Mezcal : Gusano Rojo Brand

www.merwinsliquors.com

Old 12-26-2013, 11:30 AM

1,739 posts, read 2,566,942 times
I was very blessed today (add sarcasm here). The postman shows up with a huge box of yellow roses and black and white cookies. First thought was this is from family, but no, just simple card with money in it from 'Anonymous'. I still can't figure it out. Why would someone do this? The message read: 'To get back on your feet'. My life just gets weirder and weirder. I suppose there are still good people in this world. But I am going to a doorman building ASAP as soon as I get out of this lease. The stairs are giving me nightmares. Especially when I have to go up them at night. You may laugh at me but I am walking through a special section of hell right now. I know, it's hilarious.

Last edited by EastBoundandDownChick; 12-26-2013 at 11:41 AM..

Old 12-26-2013, 12:12 PM

387 posts, read 870,720 times
Quote:
I was very blessed today (add sarcasm here). The postman shows up with a huge box of yellow roses and black and white cookies. First thought was this is from family, but no, just simple card with money in it from 'Anonymous'. I still can't figure it out. Why would someone do this? The message read: 'To get back on your feet'. My life just gets weirder and weirder. I suppose there are still good people in this world. But I am going to a doorman building ASAP as soon as I get out of this lease. The stairs are giving me nightmares. Especially when I have to go up them at night. You may laugh at me but I am walking through a special section of hell right now. I know, it's hilarious.
LOL
That was nice and kind of weird at the same time. Hope your life gets better from now on

Old 12-26-2013, 12:28 PM

2,770 posts, read 3,537,213 times
At least for dudes, better career = better dating prospects. NYC Chicks don't dig poor dudes.

Old 12-26-2013, 12:36 PM

1,058 posts, read 1,992,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 85dumbo View Post
At least for dudes, better career = better dating prospects. NYC Chicks don't dig poor dudes.
\\\\

If you run into a "chick" who gives one hoot about what you have in the bank run the other way.

Always marry for love then the money needed will come.

Old 12-26-2013, 06:02 PM

3,452 posts, read 4,616,330 times
Quote:
I have been thinking about this a lot lately. My life requires me now to work insane hours. By the time I am done with work, there is little to no time for dating. Realistically, I could probably only go on one or two dates per week at this point. I have met men who say they will take care of this problem by letting me live with them rent-free or at a reduced rate. But I never had any real connection with any of them. How do you find love when you are so tied down in your work? Is it even possible? Just wondered what your experiences are.
The best possible men are not going to want to compete with your job for face to face time. If you are looking for love than you need to begin making the necessary changes to get ready to receive it. That could mean stacking up your money where you currently are and begin looking for a job that allows you more free time. I consider myself to be a great catch and I have definitely let women go because they were never available. Like I said earlier...the BEST men are not going to compete with your work schedule. Stay far away from those guys that tell you otherwise, because they are probably only interested in sex.

I personally and in the same position and decided to cut my work schedule down quite a bit in 2014. Going to miss out on some good money. But my peace of mind, health and love life are top priority for 2014.

Trust me....prepare yourself now. Work on clearing up that schedule a bit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: