Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-20-2007, 02:47 PM

70 posts, read 239,641 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know of any jobs in Brooklyn where you can work for afew months,like seasonal work,and then go home for afew months,then go back e.t.c ? And do you know of a job where your employer can pay for your flight there and visa ? My friend has just got a job as a camp team leader in brooklyn,and she wants me to go with her,i dont know if she is going for good or temporarily yet.Her flight and visa have been paid by her employer.However i dont think i want to do the same work she is doing.Any advice would be much appreciated.I'm not sure whether i will be living there permanently or temporarily yet,but this kind of work might be best to begin with,as i have never lived abroad before,so it will take some getting used to.Also what is Brooklyn like ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2007, 07:36 PM

10,087 posts, read 14,483,337 times
Hmmm, well I can't really answer the job/visa questions, I'm sorry. But, I can tell you what parts of Brooklyn are like--and I'm assuming you've not been. Brooklyn, overall, has a very dense, large population of 2.5 million and growing population. The population is very diverse and the people hail from all over the globe. There are beautiful brownstone blocks, gorgeous parks, nice beaches, amazing museums, phenomenal restaurants, and very, very friendly people.
Brooklyn is made up of many, many different neighborhoods and most all are crossed by subway lines travelling to all other parts of the NYC area. Gentrification has been spreading like a wildfire in most Brooklyn neighborhoods over the past 3 or 4 years, so many "blight-stricken" 'hoods are now becoming construction sites with new condos, buildings, towers, and improvements.
You have to come visit to appreciate it--like anywhere else.

Best of luck to you.

Old 11-21-2007, 02:16 PM

24 posts, read 147,629 times
Hello, the only jobs that I know of that would pay for your flight and work permit (work visa) are various au-pair programs and 'work-and-travel' ones. Being an au-pair, however, you'll earn only about 140 a week or so - and they do have an age limit of 26 I think (I was one quite a while ago). 'Work and travel' have some requirements as well, but I don't know details...

Old 11-22-2007, 05:44 AM

70 posts, read 239,641 times
I have also been thinking of working in a camp,i'm not sure if they just have camps in the summer though or any other time of year.I've heard some programs start in january,but i'm not sure of any websites where i can find out about this.I would like to go as early early as possible,but if it isnt possible,i wouldnt mind waiting till summer.
It doesnt have to be in brooklyn either,as i think you can live in the camp until your work ends,so i would be on my own there anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City