Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2013, 09:32 AM

2,008 posts, read 4,723,058 times

Advertisements

Because I really don't believe my super because he's lied plenty of times and just straight up talked out of his *** even more times... I'm hoping I can get a conclusive answer from you fellow CD'ers who would have more experience in this area than me.

I have an air conditioner in my bedroom window that sits over the fire escape. Right next to that is another window that sits over the fire escape, so even though I have an A/C in one window, I still have the other window right next to it to escape out to the fire escape should anything happen.

My super just told me that I need to remove it or I could get a fine. It's fine to have it in the summer, but now that summer is over it's not ok to have in the window anymore. That's the part that doesn't make any sense to me. I still use the A/C because even with windows open it doesn't cool down the room at all because of where our apartment is in the building.

So fellow CD'ers.. is this illegal or legal?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2013, 10:21 AM

12,340 posts, read 26,123,133 times
I also have two bedroom windows that open on to a fire escape. I was not allowed to put the a/c in either of the windows. I do have a third bedroom window so I ended up putting in the 3rd one. At the time I did look up the rules and found the super was correct (don't have a link but if you search around on the nyc.gov site you could probably find it). I live in a coop and we do follow the rules -- even down to not being allowed to have doormats outside our doors in the hallway. This is because the fire department says nothing can "obstruct" hallways, and I guess a mat is seen as an obstruction.

After the a/c incident I paid close attention to a/c's in windows as I was riding the 7 train and saw TONS of a/c's in windows over fire escapes. So I'm not sure how often the fire department hands out fines, but I do believe it's possible.

Old 10-18-2013, 10:38 AM

That's so funny about the hallway mats. I have one of those too, as well as probably 60% of the residents in our building!

I wish we had a 3rd window in our apartment as I would be happy to put it there, the only windows in our apartment just provide us with lots of noise from the outside (restaurants right below) and no ventilation.

Even in our building I went out on to the fire escape to make sure that I had mounted the A/C properly and there were some more up and down in it.

Old 10-18-2013, 10:55 AM

916 posts, read 2,246,157 times
It's illegal, but the fire department don't go around handing out fines to random people as long as no one
complaint to DOB, but you and your landlord will be in trouble if there happen to be a fire in the building.
My old neighbor from Ridgewood was ordered by DOB to remove some flower pots from the fire escape,
but the next building with people putting their mountain bikes on the fire escape for years no problem.

The rule is not there just for the occupants to escape out safely, but it's also for your neighbors from
upstairs and firemen during emergency. They don't want any obstructions on the fire escape that may
trip over someone on a panic escape during a fire with bad visibility because of smoke.

Old 10-18-2013, 12:31 PM

Thanks for the info. I'm going to keep my A/C in my window as I enjoy sleeping and it's small so it doesn't stick out enough to block any egress up or down the fire escape.

Old 10-18-2013, 12:41 PM

12,115 posts, read 33,673,781 times
we were just given notices that our window AC's must have a bracket installed and if we don't have one we can have the super install one at our expense

i know mine has a bracket because last year PC Richard told me that installing a bracket in Bronx County was mandatory for them and that i was free to install the AC without a bracket but then PC Richards would not install it. so they did it. actually the fit is better than the jobs my former super did when he installed it

but ive never heard of any rule that we cannot leave the AC in the window

Old 10-18-2013, 01:26 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,454,351 times
During the fall, a window fan might be a decent replacement for an A/C

Old 10-18-2013, 02:38 PM

268 posts, read 480,857 times
I keep my ac in the window and blowing during the winter.

..it keeps out the noise of the city

Old 10-18-2013, 02:42 PM

12,115 posts, read 33,673,781 times
its good(the fan) for white noise if someone's TV under me is annoying

Old 10-18-2013, 02:53 PM

1,212 posts, read 2,252,141 times
Can you get a portable a/c for the bedroom? They're not as efficient as the window ac but since the unit is entirely inside it shouldn't violate the fire code
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City