Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2007, 11:49 AM

44 posts, read 127,476 times

Advertisements

Hello folks, we are relocating to NYC. Iam scared to death since I have heard so much negativety (costs, traffic, schools etc.) Our family has lived in Iceland, Ireland, Germany, HOuston TX, Chicago IL, Miami and Naples FL, Grand Rapids MI, Toronto Canada, just to name a few (beleive it or not) and since we are world travellers and have experienced so much we pretty much know exactly what we want and what we dont want.
Question is, how does one get what he wants when we are being sent to NYC? My husband is going to be working in Manhattan but his job entails travelling the whole metro and really the entire North East Region. Apparently his boss commutes by train and it takes him an hour and a half (not sure where he lives though). So I know we do not have to live right in Manhattan. But where shall we choose to live? I am a stay at home mom, so for me its important that I live somewhere where the kids can be free to play and a house with a back yard and safety is a major concern as well as good shopping and amenities. OUr income will be only 80,000 a year. so we have to keep that in mind as well.

I do not want to live in the city. Actually I prefer country living. I want acres of land and have animals. But that might not be realistic. I got that in Houston but land is cheap there.

I am Jewish and would prefer to be in a Jewish community as well but not at the expense of high rents and living in the city. Any chabad communities in the country?
I want a decent modern (newer) home with a fenced in backyard in a quiet neighborhood. I want my kids to go to good safe smaller schools or private jewish schools.
I want to be close enough to a Walmart and Target and good shopping and supermarkets and parks and water ways and lakes etc.without having to tackle traffic jams.
We love to go camping and do nature things. I love mountains and seas....so scenery and nature are a plus for me. How far do I have to go from the city to get any of this? where is the growth going? I mean where are people going to get out of the city to live a healthy lifestyle with families yet still able to commute by train or car to Manhattan? whats reasonable?

as much info as I can attain would help us in our search for the right place. I am really worried we are going to be miserable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2007, 01:21 PM

191 posts, read 901,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chanamiryam View Post
Hello folks, we are relocating to NYC. Iam scared to death since I have heard so much negativety (costs, traffic, schools etc.) Our family has lived in Iceland, Ireland, Germany, HOuston TX, Chicago IL, Miami and Naples FL, Grand Rapids MI, Toronto Canada, just to name a few (beleive it or not) and since we are world travellers and have experienced so much we pretty much know exactly what we want and what we dont want.
Question is, how does one get what he wants when we are being sent to NYC? My husband is going to be working in Manhattan but his job entails travelling the whole metro and really the entire North East Region. Apparently his boss commutes by train and it takes him an hour and a half (not sure where he lives though). So I know we do not have to live right in Manhattan. But where shall we choose to live? I am a stay at home mom, so for me its important that I live somewhere where the kids can be free to play and a house with a back yard and safety is a major concern as well as good shopping and amenities. OUr income will be only 80,000 a year. so we have to keep that in mind as well.

I do not want to live in the city. Actually I prefer country living. I want acres of land and have animals. But that might not be realistic. I got that in Houston but land is cheap there.

I am Jewish and would prefer to be in a Jewish community as well but not at the expense of high rents and living in the city. Any chabad communities in the country?
I want a decent modern (newer) home with a fenced in backyard in a quiet neighborhood. I want my kids to go to good safe smaller schools or private jewish schools.
I want to be close enough to a Walmart and Target and good shopping and supermarkets and parks and water ways and lakes etc.without having to tackle traffic jams.
We love to go camping and do nature things. I love mountains and seas....so scenery and nature are a plus for me. How far do I have to go from the city to get any of this? where is the growth going? I mean where are people going to get out of the city to live a healthy lifestyle with families yet still able to commute by train or car to Manhattan? whats reasonable?

as much info as I can attain would help us in our search for the right place. I am really worried we are going to be miserable.
Ok, so you want utopia. its not here in ny.
if your hubby is comfortable with a 2+ hour commute... EACH WAY, you can get a nice house, with some land waaaaay out in either north western NJ, Southern NJ, or parts of pensylvania. Parts of upper NY might work as well. But your husband will probably never be home to appreciate any of it.
you will probably make some (hmm.. LOTS) of concessions to reach a happy medium, of New house/Land/Schools/Mountains/Healthy life/commute/jews/traffic/ etc.

you will not get ALL of that with any kind of normal commute to nyc.

Old 11-15-2007, 01:28 PM

well thanks for that info, and I am sure you are right. I figured as much after reading other peoples posts on this site. So tell me, what does one do? My husband does not want to turn down the job. Its a chance of a lifetime. I dont want to live in some old beat up apt. with no yard. I dont want to live in chaos. where the heck do I go? I dont want hubby gone all the time either. this really sucks for me.

I am not used to paying high rents so this is going to really depress me. There has to be areas we can look into....have you ever been to Chicago? I lived in what they call Chicagoland. Its the suburbs. There are suburbs that close in are still pricey and old and feel like being in the city, which I hated, but then the further out you go things got better...like Aurora, Naperville - all new, cheaper housing, gorgeous shopping and things to do galore, easy commute to the country for nature and easy commute to the city for jobs. This is what I am looking for in a nutshell. I dont do well with old houses fixer uppers and slumy stuff. I want new and modern and not afriad to let my children play in the neighborhoods...is there a place like that?

Old 11-15-2007, 01:34 PM
KB4

1,032 posts, read 1,645,936 times
Where in Manhattan would your husband's office be? i.e. would it be closer to Grand Central or Penn Station?

Old 11-15-2007, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KB4 View Post
Where in Manhattan would your husband's office be? i.e. would it be closer to Grand Central or Penn Station?
to be honest, Iam not sure. but he will not be staying in that office all day. He will go there in the morning to check in and then he is on the road thruout the entire state all day. He also will be flying across the north east region alot. so we have that flexibility to consider.

Old 11-15-2007, 02:03 PM

1,409 posts, read 5,253,564 times
Sounds like you might want to try the towns along the MetroNorth lines. Off of the top of my head Beacon and Poughkeepsie come to mind, but I have no idea if they are affordable for your budget. I'm most familiar with the Hudson Line, but should look at the Harlem line as well.

Could you cross-check the towns against YM-YWHA's? I wish there were a Hudson Valley forum here for you to check.

Old 11-15-2007, 03:17 PM

7,079 posts, read 37,965,072 times
First, what's your budget?

Second, you need to determine whether the office is on the East side (good for Westchester and CT) or the West side (good for NJ).

And if you can survive Houston, IMO, you'll be fine here.

Old 11-15-2007, 03:48 PM

Iam used to paying around $1500 amonth for a big house with yard in up scale neighborhoods. I know this is not going to happen in NY so I dont know what Iam going to do

our income is 80 thousand a year

Old 11-15-2007, 05:42 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,158,795 times
Maybe this was just a typo on your part, but what happened to the fourth child? On the Sacramento board a few weeks ago you mentioned you were moving there with 4 children. Now you are moving to NYC with only 3!

Old 11-15-2007, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
Maybe this was just a typo on your part, but what happened to the fourth child? On the Sacramento board a few weeks ago you mentioned you were moving there with 4 children. Now you are moving to NYC with only 3!
Yes my 4th child is 20 yrs old and has decided not to move with us.

geeez

and as regards where I am moving....yes we had three options...atlanta , sacramento and nyc. NYC came thru with a better offer....I was hoping to end up in Sacramento, but they didnt come thru for us....yet anyway....so now Iam seriously looking at the NYC area for options....is that ok?????
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City