Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-14-2013, 10:35 PM

13 posts, read 58,300 times

Advertisements

I have just started my process with a Union Ironworkers Apprenticeship, and 2 weeks later I got my acceptance letter to start the process for NYPD School Safety agent... The starting pay with the Union is $20.75 per hour and thats 50% pay of the total salary. in 4 yrs I would be making double plus a little more once I become a Journeyman into the Union. Now the paying salary for NYPD School saftey Agent at the start is somewhat almost the same but not so. Just a bit under, but at TOP pay what would I be looking at?

I know the 2 careers are 2 majorly different careers and opportunities. Im having trouble decided if I should stick with the Union career and see how it goes, or go along with the process into NYPD School Safety Agent...

anyone have any say? What is the earnings, in future of a NYPD School Safety Agent? What would you choose and WHY?

HELP :-/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2013, 10:41 PM

Also to NOTE that Retirement for NYPD School Safety Agent is after 22.5 years I believe and for the Union its after 30 years.

Old 08-14-2013, 11:16 PM

943 posts, read 4,258,275 times
Top pay for school safety is about 50k. Retirement after 25 years. As of today, free healthcare during and through retirement... the two jobs are so different, I don't think you can compare. My suggestion is to start with school safety and move to corrections after two years. You will make the construction pay with city benefits.

Old 08-18-2013, 02:04 AM

I think im gonna go to the interview in a few days, hear what they have to say. and ask many questions if possible. The money actually sucks for todays living expense in NY. The Union job will put a beating on my body in time but I can live a much more comfortable life with the money earned i guess. many pros and cons to each career, this decision sucks and is a make or break decision. its killing me to think and decide. :-(

Old 08-18-2013, 04:06 AM

3,445 posts, read 6,064,674 times
Take the city job. Its secure with excellent benefits and ,as one poster commented, you could move to other city agencies if you desire.

Nothing wrong with being an ironworker but you have to expect to be unemployed when constructuion is slow. Also, from what i have read, the union is struggling against many projects being built with non union labor. And, as you said, your body will take a beating. I know a number of ironworkers and they all have been hurt at some point. One is now permanently disabled from a fall.

Tough decision but be grateful that you have good job prospects in this market.

Old 08-20-2013, 11:52 PM

There are 3 Local Unions for Iron Workers in NYC Im pretty sure. Local 40, 361 and 580. I am referring to Local 580 ornamental Iron Workers. The pay starts at $20.75 hr, and ends with $43.50 on my last 6 month of my 3rd year in Apprenticeship. Then as a Journeyman its a bit more. Yes, there will be times I will have to collect unemployment which sucks but the money coming in will be almost double throughout the year compared to the NYPD School Safety career which from what I understood is $35,323 per year after the 2nd year. and ill have holidays off and when schools are closed ill have off unless some over time will be needed depending on the situation.

Im having a tough time to balance out the PROS and CONS of the two and make a clear decision.
I want to buy a house within the next 2-3years and Im not sure if I will financially be able to do that with the NYPD School Safety career :-/

Old 08-21-2013, 12:39 AM

1,496 posts, read 2,237,451 times
Ironworking is much more highly paid, much more dangerous. more stressful, and more fun. You have to be able to budget your money for the downturns. The possibility of an emergency room visit at some point in your career is rather good.

School safety is a lot less money, safe, non stressful, and boring.

Old 07-30-2014, 07:19 AM

4 posts, read 16,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy456 View Post
I have just started my process with a Union Ironworkers Apprenticeship, and 2 weeks later I got my acceptance letter to start the process for NYPD School Safety agent... The starting pay with the Union is $20.75 per hour and thats 50% pay of the total salary. in 4 yrs I would be making double plus a little more once I become a Journeyman into the Union. Now the paying salary for NYPD School saftey Agent at the start is somewhat almost the same but not so. Just a bit under, but at TOP pay what would I be looking at?

I know the 2 careers are 2 majorly different careers and opportunities. Im having trouble decided if I should stick with the Union career and see how it goes, or go along with the process into NYPD School Safety Agent...

anyone have any say? What is the earnings, in future of a NYPD School Safety Agent? What would you choose and WHY?

HELP :-/
Wait what? You did not have to take the Dcas exam like everyone else. Your getting in as an apprentice ?

Old 12-04-2015, 01:46 PM

1 posts, read 4,931 times
hi guys!! I took the 4321 exam back in feb 2014 my list number is 54 anyone have a clue on the process? or what exam they are up to?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City