Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2013, 01:59 PM

24 posts, read 50,934 times

Advertisements

If that's what I'm looking for, what neighborhoods should I be looking at? I'm familiar with Douglaston, but that's about it. Would I need to look in Nassau (or elsewhere) for such a thing?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2013, 02:08 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,132,425 times
Too many to list. I think almost every neighborhood in Queens has single family detached homes. Try this Queens Single-Family Homes For Sale — Trulia.com

Old 06-03-2013, 02:27 PM

7,841 posts, read 13,236,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ekb88 View Post
If that's what I'm looking for, what neighborhoods should I be looking at? I'm familiar with Douglaston, but that's about it. Would I need to look in Nassau (or elsewhere) for such a thing?
What is your budget and preferences? Do you need public transportation or would you like to be in a neighborhood that is easy to commute back and forth to work? There are TONS of areas in Queens that have detached homes. Do you have young school aged children? Where do you currently live that you are only familiar with Douglaston?

Old 06-03-2013, 02:42 PM

Sorry, I didn't put much background. We are moving up there for husband's job. He'll be working in Jamaica, most likely commuting by car. We currently live in northern Virginia. I grew up north of the city, and only ventured to Queens to visit family/friends. I've been to Middle Village and Whitestone and find those areas just too dense for my liking. I am a suburban girl at heart, but husband has gotten used to a short (i.e. 15 minutes or less) commute down here, and doesn't want to live too far away from work.

Most of what I had found for rentals was apartments or attached housing. That trulia link was helpful, thank you. We could probably go up to about $4k/month for rent for a 3bdr. We'll only be there for two years most likely, and our oldest is just now 3, so not really worried about schools. I do want a house with enough of a yard that the little ones could play without me worrying about them.

Old 06-03-2013, 03:02 PM

7,841 posts, read 13,236,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ekb88 View Post
Sorry, I didn't put much background. We are moving up there for husband's job. He'll be working in Jamaica, most likely commuting by car. We currently live in northern Virginia. I grew up north of the city, and only ventured to Queens to visit family/friends. I've been to Middle Village and Whitestone and find those areas just too dense for my liking. I am a suburban girl at heart, but husband has gotten used to a short (i.e. 15 minutes or less) commute down here, and doesn't want to live too far away from work.

Most of what I had found for rentals was apartments or attached housing. That trulia link was helpful, thank you. We could probably go up to about $4k/month for rent for a 3bdr. We'll only be there for two years most likely, and our oldest is just now 3, so not really worried about schools. I do want a house with enough of a yard that the little ones could play without me worrying about them.
Unfortunately, pretty much all of Queens is dense

If your husband will be working in Jamaica, there are several nearby areas that he can commute to easily by car: Forest Hills, Kew Gardens, Howard Beach, Bayside. A friend of mine lives in Howard Beach and commutes to Jamaica Hospital. It only takes her about 15 minutes without traffic and knowing side roads helps too

Old 06-03-2013, 03:08 PM

7,296 posts, read 11,864,950 times
You're looking for detached homes? How much is your budget? Look at Little Neck, Douglaston, Howard Beach (relatively nice aesthetically), Valley Stream, Lynbrook.

Other than the "local culture" in Howard Beach, I find the area pretty nice to raise a family provided one does not need to commute to Manhattan every day.

What are your expectations re. public school?

Old 06-03-2013, 03:30 PM

8,011 posts, read 11,404,247 times
howard beach. jamaica. woodhaven. ozone park, etc.

you have too look around for the style of house
you want.

Old 06-03-2013, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellakin123 View Post
Unfortunately, pretty much all of Queens is dense
Yea, that's what I'm afraid of .

Thank you for the suggestions, I'll check them out.

Old 06-03-2013, 03:52 PM

82 posts, read 218,820 times
Far be it from me to recommend Long Island, but you might have a situation for which it works out nicely. This is especially so because many trains go directly to Jamaica. So while husband may not have a 15 minute commute, he could have a very short train commute. For example, from a quick google it looks like Rockville Centre (a random Long Island town) is about 20 minutes to Jamaica by LIRR.

All bets are off if it has to be a car commute, though.

Old 06-04-2013, 12:33 PM

10 posts, read 20,229 times
There are some in Richmond Hill, specifically above Atlantic Avenue to the neighborhood of Kew Gardens and Woodhaven and between 111st and Lefferts Boulevard. You can drive up to Kew Gardens and to try to find more detached houses but those houses are more expensive. I'm not sure where you're going to commute to so I don't know location of the neighborhoods is going to help but there is easy access to the Van Wyck Expressway and the Jackie Robinson Parkway by car.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City