Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2013, 04:12 PM

424 posts, read 974,968 times

Advertisements

I'm going to be moving from Inwood in a month or two and am looking to move to a calm, "green" area of the city to get my first apartment (having a lease) this summer and am wondering what people would recommend? All of these areas are nice to live in even though they're a bit of a commute.

I'm seeking out advice of posters who live in these areas that I've carefully narrowed which fit me and what I'm seeking from an area I'll be locked into by an apartment lease:

-Forest Hills-it was my first neighborhood I lived in to when I moved into the city. I'd rather live around Austin street/ Forest Hills Gardens instead of north of Queens Blvd since there's a bit more to do around that area, it's by the 71st St subway stop where express trains are. Plus, it at the top of the hill (there was a hill I had to trudge up on 67th Rd to get to the subway everyday that starts at Yellowstone Blvd; not fun)

Though, the commute was a bit long from where I work in Chelsea. On the other hand it was nice to have the LIRR at Penn Station for a calmer commute than taken a packed subway in the summertime...

-Hudson Heights- I discovered this affordable and nice area of Manhattan by accident when I got off at the 190th Street A train going up to Inwood (where I'm moving from), safe, relatively quiet, beautiful Fort Tyron Park, Hudson River views, great big apartments for around $1500-1600 (for a 1 bedroom according to Craigslist). It's becoming more expensive as more people learn about it though, still consider it one of the last affordable nice areas of Manhattan though. That might change if more people move uptown and rents go up accordingly.

A downside is there's been a steady march migration from Manhattan to Queens by all of my friends this year. Commuting back on the train late at night on the weekends from Queens to Upper Manhattan wouldn't be good. It's also becoming more well known competition for apartments is going up.

-Riverdale- Scarsdale in the Bronx and my fav section of the borough. Very suburban feel, though there aren't that many places to go grocery shopping or out to eat and the downtown area's are mostly commercial strips so a lot of errand running would need to be done coming home from work.

The advantage of Forest Hills over Riverdale was there's a CVS and other stores right off the subway stop on Queens Blvd. Another downside is the commute time: the 1 train (I could shorten my commute by taking the express 2 or 3 from 34th Street) or Metro North... I love visiting it and the idea of living there but am not sure what the reality would be like actually living there.

There's no perfect area but I've been rooming around different areas of the city seeking the right area for me (young 20 something 9-5 professional) It might seem strange for someone my age to seek out suburban areas of the city but I think neighborhoods which fall somewhere between urban, dense residential Manhattan (which everyone thinks of when they think NYC) and the suburbs fits me the best based on where I've lived. For other 20 something's "cool" areas of Manhattan and Brooklyn fit them but they also have their own downsides.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2013, 04:17 PM

9,247 posts, read 24,095,470 times
I think Forest Hills,near Austin St.Not sure how there is even a question.The other 2 places don't compare.

Old 05-28-2013, 04:20 PM

1,283 posts, read 2,306,179 times
Well I've already given you my opinions about Riverdale via PM, but I will also add that there are plenty of young folks here due to the private universities, so you feel at all odd living here. That's what makes this neighborhood so wonderful. We have a large amount of seniors here but also many young families AND young single working professionals and plenty of them party hard in the city and come back to Riverdale at night for the peace and tranquility. Shopping isn't that big of a deal either. There is tons of options but you have all of the basics here. Quite frankly if you had more options here, you'd have people flocking here which is exactly what we don't want. All of this is done to keep the neighborhood nice and not overrun and overbuilt. You have Manhattan or Westchester for all of shopping and Manhattan for the nightlife. You have Riverdale for the green and tranquility. I love coming here after a long day at work. The commute is peaceful and not very long, especially if you drive and even with Metro-North it wouldn't be that long.

Old 05-28-2013, 04:25 PM

2,228 posts, read 3,692,463 times
EHanson, All good areas. If your single I think I would go to FH. Have a nice little strip over there. Your in Penn in under 25 minutes. Grosvenor, I'm sorry.

Old 05-28-2013, 04:41 PM

6,885 posts, read 9,938,230 times
I would actually choose Hudson Heights.
FYI - most of the buildings there are stabilized so becoming more expensive won't be such an issue, apartments becoming scarce could be.

Old 05-28-2013, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norwood Boy View Post
EHanson, All good areas. If your single I think I would go to FH. Have a nice little strip over there. Your in Penn in under 25 minutes. Grosvenor, I'm sorry.
Well it's his decision. If he claims he loves Riverdale as much as he claims, he'll move here and experience it. Why move back to Forest Hills again? Might as well try a new flavor, esp. since he's clearly a suburban boy.

Old 05-28-2013, 04:45 PM

205 posts, read 978,365 times
Forest Hills. Beautiful area. I love it.

Old 05-28-2013, 04:48 PM

I like Forest Hills too but we have more mansions here.

Old 05-28-2013, 05:19 PM

424 posts, read 974,968 times
/\ That's true. Forest Hills Gardens is nice but mansions in Riverdale actually have land around them; enough to make you wonder if you're in Westchester.

Rent stabilized in Hudson Heights? That's a plus! It's kind of a mix between the 2, without mansions.

Now I really can't decide... Everyone's pulling me in different areas, between 3 different boroughs. Tough decision!

Old 05-28-2013, 05:41 PM

2,228 posts, read 3,692,463 times
You work in the West Side? FH, Lirr right into Penn. Riverdale, 1 train, slow and local. You do have express bus but I'd rather the rails. Also have metro north but that leaves you on the East Side. Washington Heights is nice but would rather live in Riverdale if deciding between the Heights and Riverdale.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City