Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2013, 09:04 AM

290 posts, read 688,836 times

Advertisements

So I've been living in Forest Hills since I moved up here last July..kind of done the find a place and feel everything out. I truly do like FH, it makes my work commute really easy and the area is very safe. But I don't know, I sometimes think I just want to try out a different area now when my lease is up later this year. Maybe something with a little more of a nightlife scene. I currently pay $1575 for my apt, so would want to keep it around that. I pay that on my own now, and my gf is going to be moving up here with me soon, so raising that up a little will be doable if need be.

So I guess I'm just trying to see if anyone can give me ideas of somewhat similar areas, that I could find apts in the same price range. I know Astoria is a popular area, I've gone in & around there for after-work drink activities. What about Brooklyn? What are some nice areas there? I've gone around Williamsburg and it's kind of cool. I've looked at apts in the UES and been able to find some around $2K..that seem legit? I know anything midtown & below is way out of budget.

I also do know that kind of the norm up here is that when someone gets into an apt, they don't move for a looooooong time. Which is understandable knowing the process to get a damn place up here..such a daunting task..I can only imagine moving from one borough to another. So is this all just wishful thinking in the end? Thanks ahead for any input.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2013, 09:16 AM

5,210 posts, read 4,672,866 times
What are you getting for $1575 in Forest Hills? What is your rental budget and what are the requirements in terms of size, distance to nearest subway etc. I have been looking at apartments lately and there really isn't such a big problem with availability in general but to find something within your budget that satisfies all your requirements is the tough part. In my opinion, Astoria is very overpriced right now because of how popular it has become. Prices in Astoria are probably higher than those in Forest Hills which years ago would be unthinkable. All the hip neighborhoods in Brooklyn will be more expensive than Forest Hills.

Old 04-05-2013, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adhom View Post
What are you getting for $1575 in Forest Hills? What is your rental budget and what are the requirements in terms of size, distance to nearest subway etc. I have been looking at apartments lately and there really isn't such a big problem with availability in general but to find something within your budget that satisfies all your requirements is the tough part. In my opinion, Astoria is very overpriced right now because of how popular it has become. Prices in Astoria are probably higher than those in Forest Hills which years ago would be unthinkable. All the hip neighborhoods in Brooklyn will be more expensive than Forest Hills.
I'm in a 1br by myself right now, very decently sized..I'd say 800-900sf (even though I'm not certain as sf isn't something that's always produced up here). And it's not even really close to the subway..walking it's maybe 5-7 min to the local train, 10-12 min to the express. There is a bus stop (Q23) right outside my door, so if I catch it than I catch it and it's a 4 min ride to the express stop..otherwise I take that walk, which is fine unless it's obviously snowing or raining out..I'm from FL and I've never had to use my umbrella so much. lol. Oh, as for budget, I'd like to stay around where I am now, but as I mentioned my gf will be moving up here with me within the next few months..so while I can't really give a definite answer to what the increase could be, but hypothetically, $2000 for total budget.

I guess my main criteria would be at least a 1br (I still can't bring myself to get a studio), safe area, at least the same distance I am now to the subway if not a little closer, laundry in the building, and lastly somewhat of an updated apt, say either the kitchen or bathroom..no checkered bathrooms! Walk-up, elevator (unless the building's like 10 stories), doorman, all that extra stuff I could care less about. And as for the Astoria thing, I couldn't agree more! I see so many people posting that you can get apts for decent prices there, but any time I look there's nothing less than what you'd find in Manhattan.

Old 04-05-2013, 10:05 AM

2,894 posts, read 5,907,340 times
SQF by SQF Astoria is definitely cheaper than Manhattan below 96st. This is espcially true if you rent in a multifamily private house.

For 2k, you can probably find a fairly decent 1 or 2 br apt.
I pay what you pay in FH, for a 1 1/2 br apt here in Astoria. So it's definitely doable, just gotta have patience and do some research.

Old 04-05-2013, 10:35 AM

6,680 posts, read 8,238,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otown native View Post
I guess my main criteria would be at least a 1br (I still can't bring myself to get a studio), safe area, at least the same distance I am now to the subway if not a little closer, laundry in the building, and lastly somewhat of an updated apt, say either the kitchen or bathroom..no checkered bathrooms! Walk-up, elevator (unless the building's like 10 stories), doorman, all that extra stuff I could care less about. And as for the Astoria thing, I couldn't agree more! I see so many people posting that you can get apts for decent prices there, but any time I look there's nothing less than what you'd find in Manhattan.
Your not finding that in Manhattan below 96th street.

Old 04-05-2013, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by livingsinglenyc View Post
Your not finding that in Manhattan below 96th street.
I have found quite a few well below 96th actually..just not in a place to make the move yet.

Old 04-05-2013, 02:56 PM

2,896 posts, read 9,814,176 times
Quote:
I have found quite a few well below 96th actually..just not in a place to make the move yet.
Really?

Have you actually visited thse apartments?

I think you are seeing lots of crap on Craigslist, which is not real, but come ons to get ripped off!

As far as Astoria, neither appear to know the market in Astoria at aall! Again, reality or Craigslist?

In Astoria you can get a 1 to 2 bedroom in the $1600 to $2000 range. Modern well equipped! For less you can find old and worn.

You can not get that in Manhattan.

Btw, Austin Street doesn't have a enough nightlife?

Old 04-05-2013, 08:07 PM

6,680 posts, read 8,238,729 times
Quote:
You found a 1 bedroom in MANHATTAN below 96th St, with a washer dryer in building that is newly renovated for $1600-$2000...
Please do share those postings!

Old 04-05-2013, 09:31 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,135,160 times
Quote:
Finding online and finding in person are not the same.

Old 04-06-2013, 05:38 AM

43,663 posts, read 44,406,521 times
Quote:
I'm in a 1br by myself right now, very decently sized..I'd say 800-900sf (even though I'm not certain as sf isn't something that's always produced up here). And it's not even really close to the subway..walking it's maybe 5-7 min to the local train, 10-12 min to the express. There is a bus stop (Q23) right outside my door, so if I catch it than I catch it and it's a 4 min ride to the express stop..otherwise I take that walk, which is fine unless it's obviously snowing or raining out..I'm from FL and I've never had to use my umbrella so much. lol. Oh, as for budget, I'd like to stay around where I am now, but as I mentioned my gf will be moving up here with me within the next few months..so while I can't really give a definite answer to what the increase could be, but hypothetically, $2000 for total budget.

I would stay in Forest Hills if I were you. But you might want to check out Park Slope in Brooklyn or if you can afford it also Brooklyn Heights.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City