Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2013, 11:39 PM

3 posts, read 11,960 times

Advertisements

Hi all,
My hubby and I are moving to NYC soon and I am visiting at the end of this week to hopefully sign a lease on a place. Our favorite area we visited last month was the DUMBO area (we are wanting to live in Brooklyn- DUMBO/Vinegar Hill/Brooklyn Heights/Cobble Hill/Boerum Hill) and sort of walked through Vinegar Hill but didn't quite explore as much as we'd like. I am seeing some nice looking listings within our price range and have done google street view, but I am reading horror stories from a couple years ago since some are situated near the projects. We are looking at properties at 99 Gold Street (Gold Street Lofts), 109 Gold Street, 206 Front Street, and 100 Jay Street (most are bordered by Water, Gold, and Front Streets). Is this a relatively safe area? I will have to be walking to the F train at York St. around 5:30-6pm some days by myself (I am a female)- is that an ok walk after dark? Or if I am walking my dog by myself after dark will it be ok? Thanks for all your advice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2013, 01:01 PM

18,484 posts, read 31,688,256 times
I have rode my bicycle there many a times, it is a fun neighborhood to be in. It is close to DUMBO and Carrol Gardens and Brooklyn Bridge Park. I also ride the bike through Navy Street to Flushing which is right along the projects during the day, I felt completely safe. There is a bicycle trail that from there goes all the way to greenpoint, a must if you ride a bike.

I have never walked through at night, only parking by car, I felt fine, but then I am a male and not afraid. I would go there at the times you say are in question before you move there and get a feel for it. Always go by your gut feeling.

Vinegar Hill is a little desolate, which to me, is a treasure, but not so for every one. I like the neighborhood.

Old 01-23-2013, 07:13 AM

2,770 posts, read 3,546,691 times
Use common sense and you will be fine.
Don't walk around distracted (headphones, texting, etc) otherwise you are asking to be mugged.
If you hear popping sounds when in the vincinity of the projects, hit the ground.
Vinegar Hill crime against transplants are mostly petty (mugging, broken car windows, robbery). No one will murder or rape you.
Most of the major crimes,murders etc occur in the projects and are bidness related.

Of the apartments you listed, 100 Jay is the best/safest and pretty much is in DUMBO. The others are literally across the street from the projects.

I live in DUMBO, its funny a few blocks makes a dramatic difference.

Old 01-23-2013, 11:51 AM

2,896 posts, read 9,821,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
Vinegar Hill is a little desolate, which to me, is a treasure, but not so for every one. I like the neighborhood.
I like it for precisely the same reason!!

I discovered it back in the old "Brownstoner" days in the late 80s early 90s.

It is ridiculous, building modern monstrocities, like the buildings the OP is considering, are allowed! The Community Board must be asleep and/or dominated by DUMBO residents.

Btw, OP, have you considerd you'll be living and breathing daily, the pollution from the Con Ed plant in the immediate looming distance?

Unless things have vastly changed (possible), it w/b dark, lonely, and desolate, after dark. Particularly, during Winter!

Btw, Carrol Gardens is *quite* distant from Vinegar Hill; both Fort Greene, Brooklyn Heights, and downtown Brooklyn are far closer!

Old 01-23-2013, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcoltrane View Post
I like it for precisely the same reason!!

I discovered it back in the old "Brownstoner" days in the late 80s early 90s.

It is ridiculous, building modern monstrocities, like the buildings the OP is considering, are allowed! The Community Board must be asleep and/or dominated by DUMBO residents.

Btw, OP, have you considerd you'll be living and breathing daily, the pollution from the Con Ed plant in the immediate looming distance?

Unless things have vastly changed (possible), it w/b dark, lonely, and desolate, after dark. Particularly, during Winter!

Btw, Carrol Gardens is *quite* distant from Vinegar Hill; both Fort Greene, Brooklyn Heights, and downtown Brooklyn are far closer!

I never thought of that, but I don't remember seeing smoke stacks though. maybe I missed it.

I would be thinking the same thing, for us men, not a problem, but female, walking alone in desolate, not so good. I have never really been there after dark, as there is no reason for me to be there, but the projects are there so that has to weigh in on some sort of decesion.

I was on my bike, so Carroll Gardens didn't seem that far, but if you are walking, well, I guess you wouldn't be walking that far. I do stand corrected.

I am thinking maybe this summer i would like to ride around at dusk to night time just for the feel of it, and for my own knowledge.

Old 01-23-2013, 12:19 PM

510 posts, read 1,444,729 times
To me the area does have as much of a sense of a neighborhood nowadays- It almost seems like its slowly melting into downtown Brooklyn with all of the new high rise buildings and condo buildings, etc. It's a shame, I think its losing a lot of it's charm.

Old 01-23-2013, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
I never thought of that, but I don't remember seeing smoke stacks though. maybe I missed it.
Look UP! Next time; but, do watch where you are going! LOL!

To be fair, Vinegar Hill Is VERY tiny, likely smallest neighborhood in the entire city. Even though small, it appears to be separated by some industrial something or other. Note, Front Street does NOT go all the way through!

Anyway, from my bygone days in the area, and from Google viewing the OP's building choices, it appears the neighborhood is separated in TWO!

The OP's location appears to be a sort of secondary area.

The primary area is directly in and around the Con Ed plant. Vinegar Hill is notable, because some of its VERY few residential buildings date back virtually to the origins of Brooklyn!

It is NOT known for the multi unit modern monstrocities, which are wholly out of neighborhood character. Though with all the industrial property and goings on, it is hard to disallow such w/o some sort of zoning variences.

The community of residents who appreciate the old is so *tiny* though.

Anyway, if you didn't notice the smokestacks, perhaps you were in the OP's vacinity. If you google view, facing Front Street, you can see the plant to the left in the distance.

Back in the day, the area was VERY peaceful, almost bucolic! Absolutely NO foot nor auto traffic. Quiet! Cobblestone streets and old!

The Con Ed plant and the questionable resale value, caused me not to buy. Never forgot the place, and always thought of it, as a last ditch, things did not go my way, place to escape to; BUT, I guess not anymore!

Old 01-23-2013, 01:02 PM

2,770 posts, read 3,546,691 times
The Con Ed plant, also has frequent transformer fires. Last explosion a few months ago was actually quite dramatic. Could smell it from DUMBO. Love the smell of fresh PCBs in the morning....

Old 01-23-2013, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcoltrane View Post
Look UP! Next time; but, do watch where you are going! LOL!

To be fair, Vinegar Hill Is VERY tiny, likely smallest neighborhood in the entire city. Even though small, it appears to be separated by some industrial something or other. Note, Front Street does NOT go all the way through!

Anyway, from my bygone days in the area, and from Google viewing the OP's building choices, it appears the neighborhood is separated in TWO!

The OP's location appears to be a sort of secondary area.

The primary area is directly in and around the Con Ed plant. Vinegar Hill is notable, because some of its VERY few residential buildings date back virtually to the origins of Brooklyn!

It is NOT known for the multi unit modern monstrocities, which are wholly out of neighborhood character. Though with all the industrial property and goings on, it is hard to disallow such w/o some sort of zoning variences.

The community of residents who appreciate the old is so *tiny* though.

Anyway, if you didn't notice the smokestacks, perhaps you were in the OP's vacinity. If you google view, facing Front Street, you can see the plant to the left in the distance.

Back in the day, the area was VERY peaceful, almost bucolic! Absolutely NO foot nor auto traffic. Quiet! Cobblestone streets and old!

The Con Ed plant and the questionable resale value, caused me not to buy. Never forgot the place, and always thought of it, as a last ditch, things did not go my way, place to escape to; BUT, I guess not anymore!

so noted. cobblestones are not your friend on a bicycle....

The web site forgotten-ny has a whole spread on Vinegar Hill, with a lot of pictures.

I also rode down Navy Street to Flushing, which is taking you out of VH, but I was looking for the abondoned "Admiral Houses" that are going to be torn down. A total shame that they were never restored to their full glory, as they would have all stood handsomely in a row along Flushing Ave, and really would have been a nice site to see....

But yes, VH is very small. I love Little Street with the commanders hose set all the way back behind the fence.

I am now curious to see what it is like at night time. There are really no convenience stores in case you need milk or little stuff though.

Old 01-23-2013, 04:03 PM

[quote=nightcrawler;27905508]The web site forgotten-ny has a whole spread on Vinegar Hill, with a lot of pictures.

Thanks for the mention. I think I looked at it once, or maybe I intended to....

Quote:
I also rode down Navy Street to Flushing, which is taking you out of VH, but I was looking for the abondoned "Admiral Houses" that are going to be torn down. A total shame that they were never restored to their full glory, as they would have all stood handsomely in a row along Flushing Ave, and really would have been a nice site to see....
Brooklyn Navy Yard. Back in the day, I kept hoping they'd put them up for auction; but, then that is *really* close to the projects (if memory serves)!

I recall a big revitalization with a supermarket and all was planned for across the street. Don't know if it ever came off.

Quote:
But yes, VH is very small. I love Little Street with the commanders hose set all the way back behind the fence.
I don't recollect.

Quote:
I am now curious to see what it is like at night time. There are really no convenience stores in case you need milk or little stuff though.
Nope! Nothing. Nada!

I like that though, short car ride to BH and everything!

It is not really a "neighborhood", but a *spot* which miracously remains standing, when all of downtown Brooklyn, on that side was BULLDOZED!! Urban renewal!

I w/n live there and be public transport dependant!!

I wonder, WHAT appeals to the OP, likely cheaper than DUMBO for modern housing!!

OP, you should try Hunter's Point in Queens, likely more to your liking, and with a similarity to VH, but a bit more lively, with great views, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City