Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2013, 09:49 AM

128 posts, read 344,808 times

Advertisements

Are there any homeless shelters where:

1) you don't have to worry about other people touching you when you are sleeping (I worry about this because if you sleep together in a big large room with several other people, somebody might wake up early and prowl about trying to touch other people)

2) has a computer room for internet access

3) there are no bed bugs

4) no chance of getting disease from other people
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2013, 09:52 AM

6,459 posts, read 12,023,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Horiz View Post

1) you don't have to worry about other people touching you when you are sleeping (I worry about this because if you sleep together in a big large room with several other people, somebody might wake up early and prowl about trying to touch other people)

3) there are no bed bugs?
Call 311 to get help. They'll be able to answer all of your questions.

Old 01-04-2013, 09:52 AM

1,871 posts, read 4,264,984 times
In short, there are no "good" homeless shelters in NYC. There are some newer ones recently built which I imagine might be a little less miserable but staying in one should be an absolute last resort. If you are being evicted from your apartment, you can work with the city on other solutions which would be far better for you.

Old 01-04-2013, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by barkomatic View Post
In short, there are no "good" homeless shelters in NYC. There are some newer ones recently built which I imagine might be a little less miserable but staying in one should be an absolute last resort. If you are being evicted from your apartment, you can work with the city on other solutions which would be far better for you.
And what "solutions" would the city be able to help the OP with if he's being evicted other than telling them to call 311 to get into the shelter system?

Old 01-04-2013, 10:01 AM

2,894 posts, read 5,904,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marilyn220 View Post
And what "solutions" would the city be able to help the OP with if he's being evicted other than telling them to call 311 to get into the shelter system?
If she qualifies they might direct her to apply for a 1-shot deal (a sort of loan) to pay for rent.
She might also be directed to an agency with listing for low income people, etc.
Barkomatic is right. Shelters are the very last resort. And even then, the deparment of homless services will do anything in their power to avoid housing you. They've been known to offer 1-way tickets out of NYC if a relative is willing to house you elsewhere. So there's no guarantee that she will be accepted into a shelter either.

In a nutshell, there's no such a thing as 'good shelters'.

Old 01-04-2013, 10:09 AM

8,743 posts, read 18,370,266 times
You are using the wrong terminology when it comes to homeless shelters. There are some that are not as bad as others, but none are good, at least not in NYC. If I were you I would avoid them at all costs..bed bugs are the least of your worries.

Old 01-04-2013, 10:18 AM

5,452 posts, read 11,246,530 times
Quote:

3) there are no bed bugs

4) no chance of getting disease from other people
NO! If you need room over your head theres options like the big Homeless Shelter on Jackson Ave. which is a hellhole but atleast you're not going to be left out in the cold.

For internet acsess visit your nearest library.

Old 01-04-2013, 10:20 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,020,627 times
Many of the best hotels have bed bugs and you think there's a shelter that won't? Get real.

Old 01-04-2013, 10:23 AM

128 posts, read 344,808 times
I've heard that some shelters have military cots instead of bed (no bed bugs) and some shelters have professional people come in who gets rid of the bed bugs periodically.

Old 01-04-2013, 10:33 AM

Quote:
I've heard that some shelters have military cots instead of bed (no bed bugs) and some shelters have professional people come in who gets rid of the bed bugs periodically.
Are you trying to get into a shelter or what? If so, then WTF are you worrying about bed bugs??

For the record, most of the shelters will do what they can to get rid of them, because it's something that affects the STAFF as well.

I saw your post on the California forum too.

Are you broke? Are you trying to figure out a new place to move to with no money? If so, than NYC is NOT it. TRUST.

Your best bet is to go to San Francisco. They have the best programs for homeless people.

NYC doesn't and please believe the shelters don't have internet access either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: