Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2012, 05:47 AM

12,322 posts, read 17,149,676 times

Advertisements

Was reading an article about tow truck drivers towing legally parked cars out of sight of the owners, And demanding $200 from them and getting it or they would take it to an impound lot. they have been doing this in shopping are parking lots, Including Caesar's bay here in Brooklyn. The thing I can't understand-If the owners know they are parked legally in the lot why would they not call the police and tell them their car got seized illegally? This is robbery, Plain and simple.

EXCLUSIVE: City cracks down on scammer tow companies - NYPOST.com

I know it's the NY Post but the story is accurate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2012, 05:55 AM

9,247 posts, read 24,093,843 times
They get away with it a lot of the time because the "public" parking lots around shopping centers,malls and strip malls are not really "public" at all.They are private property.Better off parking on the street at a meter.

Old 12-03-2012, 06:06 AM

6,191 posts, read 7,366,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Scott View Post
Was reading an article about tow truck drivers towing legally parked cars out of sight of the owners, And demanding $200 from them and getting it or they would take it to an impound lot. they have been doing this in shopping are parking lots, Including Caesar's bay here in Brooklyn. The thing I can't understand-If the owners know they are parked legally in the lot why would they not call the police and tell them their car got seized illegally? This is robbery, Plain and simple.

I have been to the same place to shop. It's not really a place too many people would park and go somewhere else---maybe to the water but that's about it. I've seen plenty of tow truck drivers sitting around parking lots, just waiting to get someone.

If someone did that to me, I'd be ready for a fight and I would definitely call the police on the spot.

And the guy they talk about in the article has relocated to Florida? He's probably doing the same thing...

Old 12-03-2012, 10:15 AM

10,914 posts, read 31,421,261 times
Very common practice in Riverdale and Kingsbridge as well, but you can pick the spotters. A friend of our family came out of a bakery to find her car being hooked up to a tow truck in just such an instance. The tow driver and spotter were nasty and threatening, despite her showing receipts that she had been in the bakery and grocery store. She would not pay their ransom, nor would she move out of the path of their truck until the police showed up, despite their aggressive behavior.

It turns out that the spotter allegedly picked out the wrong car, and they released her car unharmed. The only thing fishy with that story is that she drives a large black BMW sedan, and there was no car similar to it in the parking lot, not even another black car. It seems like that was an attempted scam, either they figured she'd pay the ransom not to hassle with them, or they would tow the car and charge her for that.

Now, she's adept at knowing the spotter vehicles and walks over to them and calls attention to the fact that she is parked there and where she is going, and that if her car is missing, the store manager and owner of the shop will complain to the landlord, and that she will call the police and prosecute them for grand theft.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 12-03-2012, 10:25 AM

2,894 posts, read 5,910,137 times
I've seen these tow truck guys going around some parking lots.
I heard of cases where people park and go buy elsewhere.
Never happened to me, but it surely sounds like a racket.
Maybe the Mafia has its hand on this one...

Old 12-03-2012, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwguydc View Post
Very common practice in Riverdale and Kingsbridge as well, but you can pick the spotters. A friend of our family came out of a bakery to find her car being hooked up to a tow truck in just such an instance. The tow driver and spotter were nasty and threatening, despite her showing receipts that she had been in the bakery and grocery store. She would not pay their ransom, nor would she move out of the path of their truck until the police showed up, despite their aggressive behavior.

It turns out that the spotter allegedly picked out the wrong car, and they released her car unharmed. The only thing fishy with that story is that she drives a large black BMW sedan, and there was no car similar to it in the parking lot, not even another black car. It seems like that was an attempted scam, either they figured she'd pay the ransom not to hassle with them, or they would tow the car and charge her for that.

Now, she's adept at knowing the spotter vehicles and walks over to them and calls attention to the fact that she is parked there and where she is going, and that if her car is missing, the store manager and owner of the shop will complain to the landlord, and that she will call the police and prosecute them for grand theft.
Exactly. The more the news gets out, The more people will know to recognize this scam. Great story how she handed it to them!

Old 12-03-2012, 10:42 AM

3,244 posts, read 5,245,451 times
Quote:
tow truck drivers towing legally parked cars
Happens everywhere:
Ambulance gets 'booted' while paramedics tend to emergency | wwltv.com New Orleans
Quote:
If the owners know they are parked legally in the lot why would they not call the police and tell them their car got seized illegally?
How can you prove where your car was parked? Take a time-signature photo when you park?
Unfortunately, people don't have the time or ability to properly assert their rights. The scammers have their established practices, and the police have neither the time, nor the inclination, to investigate a dispute that arose on private property.
The dilemma arose, because cities don't want to have police officers used to enforce private parking restrictions. So, they empowered private property owners to contract with tow companies to handle the problem. Of course, bottom feeders abuse the system, both owners & towers.

Last edited by bigjake54; 12-03-2012 at 11:12 AM..

Old 12-03-2012, 10:55 AM

3,445 posts, read 6,070,984 times
Quote:

Did the Times find this Fit to Print? or just the Post?

Old 12-03-2012, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30to66at55 View Post
Did the Times find this Fit to Print? or just the Post?
Only a related story a while ago regarding people needing assistance and then getting scammed. The story pertaining to this thread is worse because it's just auto theft outright.

How to Avoid Tow Truck Scams - NYTimes.com

Old 01-31-2013, 09:15 PM

2 posts, read 3,269 times
Default Facebook Page: Stop Predatory Illegal Towing

Hey everyone, I found this thread because my parents were the victims of a similar towing scam in Elmhurst, NY (the restaurant plaza with all the Asian restaurants). I was appalled by this and decided to take some action. I've connected with a couple other people who were victims of the same scheme in that parking lot, and we decided to start a facebook page just to try to connect everybody and share stories, plan a course of action, and raise awareness. Our take on it is that if everybody is acting alone, not much will happen, but if a lot of people come together, then maybe we can actually change things. Here is the link to the facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/StopIllegalTowing

We're also trying to publicize our stories through other media sources, contacting elected officials, maybe starting a class action, etc. We're still trying to figure out what the best course of action is, but for now we're just trying to get together as many people as possible who've had similar experiences.

Please "like" and share widely!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City