Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-06-2007, 10:54 AM

12,115 posts, read 33,713,141 times

Advertisements

I remember giving a female advice on this walk last month. However now I myself am curious because i always use a car but this time I won't be using the car.

I have to meet someone at the pelham bay Diner (E GunHill Rd and I 95) sometime this weekend. I will be walking from the # 26 bus at Allerton and Lodovick Ave into E GunHill rd to the Diner. I know exactly what's there- a Home Depot and big supermarket but i want to know will this walk be a safe one for a male even? During the day or evening? It's kind of barren looking with Co-Op City sticking up into the sky and the cold impersonal feel of cars coming and going to I 95. maybe i could walk on the sidestreets which have nice houses (Waring, mace)? I'd hate to have to spend $ for a cab and parking is a problem in my area upon return on weekends
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2007, 11:09 AM

2,806 posts, read 16,376,230 times
I go and hit golf balls at the driving range on E Gun Hill Rd every once in the blue moon (possibly America's sketchiest golfing range). I've also shopped at the Home Depot there every once in a while, but I like the one off the Deegan in Yonkers better, which is also quicker for me to get to.

That area is certainly weird in that it looks empty and desolate. I dont' think its unsafe to walk along those streets if only because nobody is around there. So I'd say there is a 99% chance you'll be fine, but its one of those areas where if something did go down, nobody would be around to help you, unless a driver stopped his car and got out (fat chance of that happening). This would only apply to this area at night, during the day I'd say you really don't have to worry about anything in that area.

Is that Diner there any good?

Old 10-06-2007, 11:26 AM

No idea about the diner but I've heard good things about it. After waiting to get out of co-op city traffic one needs a good meal. it's a bit tricky to get to it. area reminds me of va off i 95 around richmond

Old 10-08-2007, 09:47 AM

2,978 posts, read 4,007,006 times
The diner is fine..and the fact that there is a golfing range with mainly people of color is an interesting sight! You will be fine!

Old 10-08-2007, 10:50 AM

I'd say the golfing range is usually mixed. There is always an Irishmen or two, a couple of Italian guys from Morris Park/Country Club. Blacks, Puerto Ricans, and there are even some Asians who usually show up on the weekend. I think usually they are Korean but I'm confused as to where are they coming from? I hope they're not driving from Queens to hit golf balls in the Bronx.

Its a nice place though, which is surprising considering that it is wedged in between 95 and the Bus Depot. It is surprisingly quiet out there.

Old 10-08-2007, 11:49 AM

2,978 posts, read 4,007,006 times
Agreed Mead...I went to the bowling alley a few blocks from there...I do not recommend...the Home Depot though is a nice plus...I go there often for the many things I can't find at the local shop.

Old 10-08-2007, 05:09 PM

I fixed my car so I drove. Thanks for the tips though. You know, the E side of the boro has a totally different feel than my side, Riverdale. I'm not talking status or one "better" neighborhood being better than the other either. I have gone to house parties in Morris park (Yates and Pierce), Throgs neck (Stadium Ave) and a function at Maestros (Morris Pk and Bronxdale) and after i go back to Riverdale (Bway and 252 street) I feel so strange. It's like a culture shock. Very hard to define.

Old 10-08-2007, 05:17 PM

the Eastern part of the Bronx is mostly Italian and more residential, almost suburban in a sense.

The Northwest part of our borough has small pockets of Jewish and Irish in more high density areas.

Like Country Club or the nice areas of Throgs Neck don't even feel like you're in the city. Its almost like being in a suburb because there's not many if any corner stores around or local establishments where you can walk to.

Old 10-08-2007, 05:30 PM

yes!!!, it's the Italian influence perhaps that gives it that different feel.I remember sitting on the terrace in Throgs Neck, everyone was talking about Westchester Square or Morris Pk and I'm telling everyone I'm in Riverdale and they didn't even know what to say. You could be on an identical block that looks the same in Riverdale or Morris park where the ethnic make of the block is say 80% caucasian, yet it feels totally different than the other

Someone on another board attributed this to the fact that Riverdale is very close to manhattan and therefore can be considered an extension of it(according to them)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City