Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2012, 03:58 PM

3 posts, read 5,069 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

this is my first post on city-data and I want to use this chance to say Thank You ! I am following this board (the nyc board) since some years now on a daily base. I always was interested in the life and change of this city and got so many knowledge and information through all of you and I remember so many thinks that made me smile, topics that made me perplex and posts that helped me through the dark moments which all of us have. Honestly, thank you.

I am a 29 yo german, my 5th time in New York, 7th time in the United States and this time I am here since the 1st of July (but I have to go back in two weeks). I am in a constant progress of trying to emigrate, applying for Jobs and earning knowledge. I always had an eye on most parts of Brooklyn (Greenpoint, Fort Greene, Park Slope, Sunset Park, Bay Ridge, maybe Crown Heights in the future, etc) and Queens (Sunnyside, Ridgewood, Flushing, Corona, Forest Hills etc), Uptown (espc. Morningside and Washington Heights) and the Bronx and I am at all more interested in the family orientated neighborhoods. I don't need the rush of living below Central Park and I am totally NOT into Hipsters . At least, I don't even drink coffee...

I had been in the Bronx before, I had been in some pockets of the South Bronx and I had been in Crotona Park in July. I enjoyed it a lot and I never have a problem with being "outnumbered"/"outcolored" (I am used to be so), I never had any negative experiences, I met a hell of a lot of wonderful people all over and I have a lot of love for what I am doing and sometimes, it seems to come back.

Back to topic:

I wanna go to the Bronx again and have a walk with a friend. I don't want to see poverty and people struggeling, I just want to have a walk, get some impressions for her and me, get some of the flair over there and don't want to do it without any plan or idea where to go. When I had been in the Crotona Park, I was walking around a little (I am a walking guy!) through the neighborhood east of the park and I enjoyed the street scene with the old men playing their games outside, with the kids playing baseball, with some open fire hydrants and with some cool music on the streets. Thats what I am looking for, again.

We will start at the Yankee Stadium and actually I would walk the Grand Concourse to 174th and there make a turn to the right and continue. What would you recommend? Starting at the stadium is not a must, to get there during the trip is a must (this time).

Thanks a lot and have a nice weekend everyone!

P.S.: Sorry for any language problems
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2012, 04:11 PM

12,115 posts, read 33,715,359 times
making a right on 174th off the Concourse, I don't know. looks like you're looking for a more wholesome street scene and i don't know if the 170's provides that. maybe others can help you

I might consider taking the D train to Kingsbridge or Bedford Park and walking along the Concourse in the 200's or along Bedford Park Blvd eastward toward the Botanical gardens. you have a lot of churches around there and a street scene that describes what you are looking for. nice and family oriented and quiet too

Old 09-14-2012, 04:17 PM

6,459 posts, read 12,038,688 times
Look, the Bronx ain't that kind of "let's take a walk" place.

Make the wrong turn down the wrong block and that could be your *****.

And trust, unsavory peeps can spot "fish" a mile away.

Play stupid if you want to.

Old 09-14-2012, 05:02 PM

2,896 posts, read 9,820,409 times
How do you apply for a job w/o a Work Visa or a Green Card?

You're a (w/b) 'immigrant', so tht crosses you off the Transplant/Hipster list. Transplant/Hipsters are literally Americans!

Your perception of the South Bronx is not that of the average person. Where are you from? What is your native country?

Old 09-14-2012, 05:12 PM

1,487 posts, read 1,709,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcoltrane View Post
How do you apply for a job w/o a Work Visa or a Green Card?

You're a (w/b) 'immigrant', so tht crosses you off the Transplant/Hipster list. Transplant/Hipsters are literally Americans!

Your perception of the South Bronx is not that of the average person. Where are you from? What is your native country?
The OP states in their post that they are German, so i'm guessing Germany is their native country?

Old 09-14-2012, 05:27 PM

3,357 posts, read 4,637,025 times
Great idea. There are lots of areas to go for a walk in the Bronx. My suggestions would be upper Concourse, Bedford Park (nicest part is north of Bedford Park Blvd.), Mosholu Parkway, Van Cortlandt Village, Sedgwick Ave., Norwood, Belmont, Woodlawn.

Edit: I see you want to start at Yankee Stadium - it's not my favorite area and can't give much advice about a nice walk closeby. Good luck

Last edited by yodel; 09-14-2012 at 05:35 PM..

Old 09-14-2012, 05:34 PM

take the D train to the last stop and walk around the Oval in Norwood. its a huge oval shaped playground you will capture the sights and atmosphere you seek

Old 09-14-2012, 05:34 PM

518 posts, read 1,581,150 times
Im new to Pelham Parkway South. (1 year on the 22nd!) And I love it. We are the Bronx Zoo stop on the #2 train
- the Bronx Botanical Gardens are near by and of course an entrance to the Zoo (There are a few, but I think this is the Main) The Bronx Zoo stop lets you off in a dense urban, working class setting. The main strip is vibrant and always bustling. If you like to walk the way my Eurofriends walk, you will find a walk to the Gardens well worth it. Im not sure what kind of scenery you are looking for, but id get a map of the Bronx (if you haven't already) and take a look at the walk from the Pelham Parkway / Bronx Zoo stop to the Botanical gardens.

Please also try some Albanian Bureks if you come across them. Lydig Avenue Cross street Holland Avenue. Delightful!

I also do not want to live among struggling people either,(did that, it didnt work out for anyone RIP Woodhaven) and this neighbor hood by all appearances is on the way up.
There are also some very "Blackforest" feeling (design wise) type of co-ops - lovely rooftops and gardens. (you just missed the garden blooms - fantastic!) You can stroll a few blocks in from train stop and see some very nice units. And if you keep walking you'll hit small ethinc neighborhoods in any direction. Marks for very interesting shopping. Esp if you like tasting exotic food/weird knick knacks.

Good luck.

Old 09-14-2012, 06:20 PM

16,352 posts, read 8,112,248 times
Sounds like fun to me. Plenty of good places to walk in the Bronx. Some places to avoid too. Do some research and know where you're going.

Old 09-14-2012, 06:48 PM

in Bedford Park, Norwood, Pelham Pkwy, Van Cort Village, Belmont, Woodlawn it would be extremely rare that anybody would notice that you were not from the area
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City