Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2012, 04:52 PM

110 posts, read 299,991 times

Advertisements

Hey all, I'm back with another question.

I will have 2 months left on my lease as of Oct 1. I have requested a sublet application from my landlord's legal department via email. They sent me this message in response:

"Your lease is up 11/30/12, you cannot sublet for the remainder of the lease and then vacate. Subletting means you are leaving for a period of time and will be returning."

Nothing in my lease says anything about needing a specific amount of time to sublet. My lease DOES say:

"Unless a greater right to assign is conferred by the lease, a tenant renting a residence may not assign his lease without the written consent of the owner, which consent may be unconditionally withheld without cause provided that the owner shall release the tenant from the lease upon request of the tenant upon thirty days notice if the owner unreasonably withholds consent which release shall be the sole remedy of the tenant. If the owner reasonably withholds consent, there shall be no assignment and the tenant shall not be released from the lease."

I requested more information about why I am unable to sublet for 2 months and return in the last week of my lease to clean the apartment. I also sent another email mentioning that I reread my lease and that there was nothing about not being able to sublet due to remaining time in my lease.Neither email received a response.

What do you think my next step is if my landlord continues to refuse to supply me with a sublet application? Think I'll be able to give 30 days notice and be released from my lease (pun not intended)?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2012, 09:21 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,205,038 times
"Unless a greater right to assign is conferred by the lease, a tenant renting a residence may not assign his lease without the written consent of the owner, which consent may be unconditionally withheld without cause provided that the owner shall release the tenant from the lease upon request of the tenant upon thirty days notice if the owner unreasonably withholds consent which release shall be the sole remedy of the tenant. If the owner reasonably withholds consent, there shall be no assignment and the tenant shall not be released from the lease."
Sorry..You loose, either way. You can give 30 days notice since he won't let you sublease. And you have to prove he is being unreasonable even to do that.
But you only have til Oct 30.to be able to give 30 days notice anyway...It is Sept 12....Either way you will be at the end of your lease is a short time. They are not willing to let you sublease for 1 mth...I don't find this unreasonable.....

Old 09-13-2012, 12:15 PM

8,743 posts, read 18,373,343 times
Seriously..why are you even asking the question. It is clear in the lease that it is up to the landlord to allow subleasing, and they are choosing not to. Case closed.

Old 09-13-2012, 12:20 PM

15,592 posts, read 15,659,624 times
I'm not so sure that it's as clear as that. First, sublets are constantly done where the original tenant has no intention of coming back.

More importantly, isn't there something in either state or city law that says the landlord cannot unreasonably refuse to sublet? Moccawaii, you need to check with someone oficial, not just here.

That said, for two months, you may just have to take the hit. I can see where the LL may just not want to be bothered to do you a favor with the extra paperwork.

Old 09-13-2012, 12:23 PM

Thanks guys. I just wanted outside opinions from laypeople before going to someone more official who costs money.

Old 09-13-2012, 12:29 PM

15,592 posts, read 15,659,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moccawaii View Post
Thanks guys. I just wanted outside opinions from laypeople before going to someone more official who costs money.

By "more official," I meant the relevant departments of city or state government - not someone who would cost you money.

Old 09-13-2012, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post
By "more official," I meant the relevant departments of city or state government - not someone who would cost you money.
Ah, of course! I forgot they can be helpful.

Old 09-13-2012, 01:54 PM

1,145 posts, read 2,999,752 times
Don't pay October or November. Just leave.

Old 09-14-2012, 07:07 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,060,391 times
The law says pretty clearly that you CAN sublet with the owner's permission or be freed of the lease.

The only question is timing. Since you have ALREADY received notice that the landlord will not accept a tenant, it seem reasonable to assume that you might consider your tenancy ended and the lease broken by the landlord and you can move out today. I think this would stand up in court if they pursue the matter...which they will not. Basically their argument can only be "we withheld the right to sublet becasue we FELT like it." That is not a cogent argument.

So ultimately crescent is correct:
Quote:
Don't pay October or November. Just leave.
Of course then there will be the inevitable battle over the security deposit...another story.
(P.S. In the ulikely event you haven't paid for September, don't...let them take that from the security deposit, which they are fully within their rights to do so. But at least that would be less you have to wrest back from them.)

Last edited by Kefir King; 09-14-2012 at 08:10 AM..

Old 09-14-2012, 07:17 AM

8,743 posts, read 18,373,343 times
Anyone that tells you to simply walk from the lease is giving you very bad advice. Don't do it. Come to a mutual agreement with the landlord to exit the lease...otherwise you are creating more problems for yourself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City