Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2012, 04:09 PM

9,519 posts, read 14,848,817 times

Advertisements

Thanks, in advance, for your patience. 1)We are coming to NYC for the first time in October (we're the goyim who are staying in the Hasidic hotel in Borough Park, or I guess we're goyim-I'm Irish, he's Chinese). We're driving in from Chicago and the Mapquest has us approaching Brooklyn on the NJ Turnpike and Verrazano Bridge, many stretches of which are labeled "toll" or "partial toll". Can I assume these toll booths take credit cards or should I bring a bag of quarters and dollar bills? No idea what to expect. 2) We are bigtime Bill Clinton fans. I read today that he still keeps an office in Harlem. Is it near Sylvia's? Anyone know if he still hangs there now that she's passed? We're not stalkers but if I ever get a chance to express to him how much it meant to us when he visited our little town a couple of years ago, I will. Any info on either topic very welcome. Happy Labor Day!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2012, 04:17 PM

9,253 posts, read 24,199,897 times
The toll stations will have cash lanes with attendants who can change small(up to $20) bills so you don't have to have buckets of quarters.They don't take credit cards.

I don't think Bill Clinton spends much time at the office in Harlem so don't count on seeing him.

Old 09-04-2012, 05:54 AM

25,493 posts, read 37,381,378 times
I have heard that Bill Clinton mostly closed his office on 125th St. in Harlem. He moved his foundation down to Water Street in the finanacial district. (77 Water Street.)
But he will still keep a tiny presence in Harlem, probably in name only, in a penthouse office at 55 W. 125th St.

Last edited by Kefir King; 09-04-2012 at 06:13 AM..

Old 09-04-2012, 06:46 AM

3,590 posts, read 5,800,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eureka1 View Post
Thanks, in advance, for your patience. 1)We are coming to NYC for the first time in October (we're the goyim who are staying in the Hasidic hotel in Borough Park, or I guess we're goyim-I'm Irish, he's Chinese). We're driving in from Chicago and the Mapquest has us approaching Brooklyn on the NJ Turnpike and Verrazano Bridge, many stretches of which are labeled "toll" or "partial toll". Can I assume these toll booths take credit cards or should I bring a bag of quarters and dollar bills? No idea what to expect. 2) We are bigtime Bill Clinton fans. I read today that he still keeps an office in Harlem. Is it near Sylvia's? Anyone know if he still hangs there now that she's passed? We're not stalkers but if I ever get a chance to express to him how much it meant to us when he visited our little town a couple of years ago, I will. Any info on either topic very welcome. Happy Labor Day!
No credit cards at the tolls. Cash or EZ-Pass only. Since EZ-Pass is a Eastern thing, I doubt you have one of those.

Be prepared for sticker shock at some of the tolls.

NJ Turnpike is not too overpriced and uses a ticketing system.
Get a ticket when you enter, pay with ticket at a manned booth when you leave.
2 things, 1) Dont lose the ticket else you will get charged the max toll 2) Dont go in an EZ-Pass only lane/EZ-Pass express lanes if you dont have one. You will get a ticket in the mail along with having to pay the toll.

You'll have to cross a Port Authority Bridge or Tunnel at some point to get to NY. This is where the highway robbery starts. $12 to cross any bridge or tunnel. See Tolls - Bridges & Tunnels - The Port Authority of NY & NJ

VZ Bridge from Staten Island to Brooklyn is "free" Brooklyn bound, Its $13 Staten Island bound. See B&T Crossing Charges

Old 09-04-2012, 03:42 PM

2,871 posts, read 4,813,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
I have heard that Bill Clinton mostly closed his office on 125th St. in Harlem. He moved his foundation down to Water Street in the finanacial district. (77 Water Street.)
But he will still keep a tiny presence in Harlem, probably in name only, in a penthouse office at 55 W. 125th St.
KK, my niece works for Clinton and she reports to an office on 6th & 53rd. I think you're right though, he hangs downtown and has many of his workers in the Midtown location I mentioned above.

Old 09-05-2012, 01:10 AM

16 posts, read 33,407 times
Idk but I saw him at an exclusive club and I think we might have slept together.

Old 09-05-2012, 01:44 AM

3,022 posts, read 5,896,817 times
eureka1

Parking in the neighborhood around that hotel will be next to impossible. It's very close to a large hospital and is a very congested area.

It's a safe area & that hotel is right by the D subway line. You can buy a MetroCard at the station. The MetroCard can be used on any NYC Transit subway or bus, it also can be used on the PATH train if you go into New Jersey.

I've only seen the hotel from the outside. I understand the hotel has no televisions.

The Hasidic run private buses in Boro Park on which the females must sit at the back of the bus. I go crazy every time I'm walking down the street & see that.

Let us know how your stay at the hotel turns out.

Old 09-05-2012, 07:05 AM

77 posts, read 65,590 times
LOL LMAO
Tolls and Bill Clinton.
Nice.

Old 09-05-2012, 07:30 AM

19,159 posts, read 14,198,351 times
Why would an Irish and Chinese couple stay at a Hasidic hotel? They are going to go out of their way to make sure you don't feel comfortable, if they even honor your reservation. Not to mention, you will be WAY in the middle of Brooklyn. As tourists, traveling almost an hour into Manhattan every day will blow.

Old 09-05-2012, 11:36 AM

9,519 posts, read 14,848,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daliowa View Post
eureka1

Parking in the neighborhood around that hotel will be next to impossible. It's very close to a large hospital and is a very congested area.

It's a safe area & that hotel is right by the D subway line. You can buy a MetroCard at the station. The MetroCard can be used on any NYC Transit subway or bus, it also can be used on the PATH train if you go into New Jersey.

I've only seen the hotel from the outside. I understand the hotel has no televisions.

The Hasidic run private buses in Boro Park on which the females must sit at the back of the bus. I go crazy every time I'm walking down the street & see that.

Let us know how your stay at the hotel turns out.
Thanks very much. I've heard different things about the parking, everything from "I drove right into their lot" to "had to walk ten blocks". "Safe" is a big factor. I do find it odd that they don't have TV but they do have wi-fi. Our subway stop is apparently Ft Hamilton/New Utrecht. I will definitely give you a report.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City