Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2012, 12:36 AM

3 posts, read 5,870 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

I am considering a job that would require me to transfer to the M35 Bus on the northwest corner of lexington and 125th street. I know this is not a good area, but I'm wondering whether a bus transfer there would be really unsafe. Is there a strong police presence? Do you think I'd have problems while waiting for the bus? Any help is appreciated. TIA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2012, 05:27 AM

340 posts, read 1,186,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sara246810 View Post
Hi everyone,

I am considering a job that would require me to transfer to the M35 Bus on the northwest corner of lexington and 125th street. I know this is not a good area, but I'm wondering whether a bus transfer there would be really unsafe. Is there a strong police presence? Do you think I'd have problems while waiting for the bus? Any help is appreciated. TIA.

you will survive

Old 08-31-2012, 08:25 AM

483 posts, read 854,863 times
That is a really busy area, you'll be fine. There are a lot of vagrants there and it's not aesthetically pleasing but no one will pay you any attention if you mind your own business. I go to the pathmark there all the time and I'm never bothered.

Old 08-31-2012, 09:57 AM

1,145 posts, read 3,001,919 times
No, the area of Lex/125 is fine and well-lit.

However, your problem is the M35. The M35 bus is the homeless bus.

The route exists more or less to transport homeless people to various shelters on Wards' Island.

I rode it once to get to the tennis center on Randall's Island. The bus smelled; most fellow riders appeared some combination of homeless, smelly, drunk, or high.

I assume you are considering a job somewhere on Randall's or Ward's Island. You will absolutely not want to take this bus as your daily commute. Unless you can bike or drive there, I don't see any other way on public transit.

You may want to read this.
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/07/06/ny...ty/06home.html

Old 09-01-2012, 02:12 PM

1,687 posts, read 1,284,369 times
You'll likely be fine but 125th and Lex is about the most ghetto intersection on Manhattan.

If I were you I wouldn't carry anything I care about losing (or can easily replace or cancel like bank cards etc...).

If you over 6'2" and look 215< lbs. it won't realy matter.

Old 09-01-2012, 05:26 PM

Thanks everyone for your replies! It sounds like the M35 bus is not a great option for a daily commute.

I haven't spent a lot of time in New York but I have heard driving there is very difficult so I wasn't considering a driving commute. However, if I did decide to drive to work (the job would be on Wards island), how bad would the drive be from Manhattan? We are considering living in Greenwich village but are open to other areas if they would be an easier commute.

Old 09-01-2012, 07:44 PM

It's not a bad drive from the Village, per se, maybe 25 minutes, but the usual problem is finding parking and paying for it.

If it's just about convenience and driving, I would live in Astoria- it would be a 5-10 minute drive on the RFK/Triborough Bridge to work, but I assume you would have to pay the $4.80 toll both ways.

Old 09-01-2012, 10:17 PM

Thank you so much! This has been really helpful. One final question... sorry if this is a silly question. Parking is free at the job, and they reimburse bridge tolls, so I would just have to pay for parking at my apartment. Is it difficult to find apartment buildings with attached or closeby parking garages in the Village and/or in Astoria? I know parking is very expensive, but I'm just curious whether it is difficult to find. Thank you!

Old 09-02-2012, 04:38 AM

51 posts, read 166,746 times
I think you would have a better chance of finding street parking in Astoria and than you would have in the village... it can be difficult to find apartment building with attached parking in the city and parking garages around the city can be very pricey. i would stick with astoria

Old 09-02-2012, 09:15 PM

> Is it difficult to find apartment buildings with attached or closeby parking garages in the Village and/or in Astoria?

I would say no. You may have to walk a block or two in the Village- attached parking buildings will be extremely difficult to find. Astoria I would guess there are lots you can pay for if the streets are always filled.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City