Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-09-2012, 09:01 PM

1 posts, read 4,133 times

Advertisements

When I bought my car in New York, I purchases an extended warranty separately by credit card (I paid for the car in cash). The car dealer promised me that the extended warranty covers everything, and I believed him. When I went to the mechanic last week he told me that I got the least coverage possible (basically only covers engine parts, no suspension ac etc). I want to know if I now dispute the charge on my cc if the cardealer can put a lien or something on my car. I paid $1645 for the extended warranty. I never signed anything with any fine print.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2012, 10:01 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,730,816 times
Quote:
I want to know if I now dispute the charge on my cc if the cardealer can put a lien or something on my car. I paid $1645 for the extended warranty. I never signed anything with any fine print.
Yes you can dispute the charge and it will freeze that dollar amount on the dealerships side for a short time period. But if you don't have a contract showing what you paid for and they do, then you will lose. You're signature on the CC reciept would be enough proof as accepting the terms of the contract. If you are over 18 then its your responsibility to have read the contract. Have you contacted the dealership to attempt to resolve this issue?

They can't put a lien against you since they've been paid. By contacting the cc company, you are putting a freeze on other funds being paid to their account. Thus that dollar amount is held in limbo.

Old 08-09-2012, 10:26 PM

2,008 posts, read 4,722,538 times
only a bank/credit union/financing company can put a lein on it. and thats if you owe money on it from financing it. the dealer has nothing to do with it.

Old 08-10-2012, 06:56 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,053,451 times
Berns,

What does the Extended Warranty that you bought SAY is covered? Does it say ONLY engine parts? (Obviously the mechanic read SOMETHING to that effect somewhere...presumably in a CONTRACT.)
Do you have "Standard Power Train" coverage?

Quote:
and I believed him
WHOA...this is a CAR dealer, right?

Old 09-17-2012, 10:05 PM

664 posts, read 2,093,121 times
Did the dealer charge your CC or did the "warranty" provider charge your CC? It could be either. If it is the provider then it will do nothing to the dealer. If you dispute the charge and WIN... the provider will take the commission back from the dealer though. Which in your case it probably $800-1000.

As previously mentioned if the dealer or "warranty" provider has your signature on the application or the payment authorization then they will most likely win.

At that point you could speak to the dealership, though you probably won't get anywhere or you can cancel the coverage and get a prorated refund.

You may also file a complaint again the dealership with the BBB.

Old 09-18-2012, 02:36 AM

106,579 posts, read 108,713,667 times
many extended warranties allow for an upgrade in coverage within a certain period of time of purchase.

the best way to get an extended warranty on a new car is through the internet. by frequenting the forums that pertain to your car you will learn of the dealers that blow warrantys out at just a few bucks over cost.

i have a 2012 jeep and the dealer wanted an insane amount for the extended warranty.

went on the chryslerwarrantys.com site and got a price hundreds less.

i gave the dealer the option of meeting it and they said it didnt pay for them to erite up the paper work at that price so i bought it on line.

lots of dealers sell warrantys to out of state customers since its found money as these customers would never buy a thing from you so its all found profit.

you can try disputing it but the fact is you didnt read your contract . verbal unless you can prove they said otherwise is meaningless in disputes like this.

Old 09-20-2012, 06:43 PM

6,292 posts, read 10,592,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berns19 View Post
When I bought my car in New York, I purchases an extended warranty separately by credit card (I paid for the car in cash). The car dealer promised me that the extended warranty covers everything, and I believed him. When I went to the mechanic last week he told me that I got the least coverage possible (basically only covers engine parts, no suspension ac etc). I want to know if I now dispute the charge on my cc if the cardealer can put a lien or something on my car. I paid $1645 for the extended warranty. I never signed anything with any fine print.
How long ago did you buy this car? It already needs service?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City