Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2012, 04:16 PM

15,590 posts, read 15,696,876 times

Advertisements

Much as I've come to despise Bloomberg - who has really turned me against ultra-rich people running for office, which didn't used to bother me - I have to say that I like him speaking up for gun control, apropos of the Aurora Batman killings. Apparently neither Obama nor Romney said anything against the availability of guns in this context, and in this case, Bloomberg's money does exactly what it's supposed to do - it insulates him from pressure from the NRA. (Of course, it's also probably relevant that he's not currently running for anything.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2012, 04:47 PM

4,497 posts, read 6,250,674 times
From Firearms Regulations in the 20 Largest Colorado Municipalities

Aurora
1. "Dangerous weapon" includes firearm
2. Revocation of license for furnishing a firearm to a minor or someone under the influence.
3. Window displays cannot include firearms with barrels less than 12 inches long.
4. Unlawful to carry concealed "dangerous weapon"
5. Unlawful to discharge firearms, unless by law enforcement on duty or on shooting range.
6. Unlawful to possess firearm while under the influence of intoxicant
7. Unlawful to have loaded firearm in motor vehicle.
8. Unlawful for a juvenile to possess a firearm.

It seems there are plenty of gun laws this psycho broke when he murdered his victims. What would another law to break do in preventing this from happening?

The problem isn't guns it's the psycho who committed the crime. That politicians jump on such an tragedy to push political agendas is atrocious.

Old 07-22-2012, 04:58 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,220,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomJones123 View Post
From Firearms Regulations in the 20 Largest Colorado Municipalities

Aurora
1. "Dangerous weapon" includes firearm
2. Revocation of license for furnishing a firearm to a minor or someone under the influence.
3. Window displays cannot include firearms with barrels less than 12 inches long.
4. Unlawful to carry concealed "dangerous weapon"
5. Unlawful to discharge firearms, unless by law enforcement on duty or on shooting range.
6. Unlawful to possess firearm while under the influence of intoxicant
7. Unlawful to have loaded firearm in motor vehicle.
8. Unlawful for a juvenile to possess a firearm.

It seems there are plenty of gun laws this psycho broke when he murdered his victims. What would another law to break do in preventing this from happening?

The problem isn't guns it's the psycho who committed the crime. That politicians jump on such an tragedy to push political agendas is atrocious.
It also bothers me when gun nuts jump all over these crimes as if everyone needs to be carrying a gun. In a dark theater filled with smoke, would it be safe for random people to start firing in hopes they hit the right person? Just pointing out that this goes both ways when being used by politicians.

All those regulations you posted are for after the fact, but these crimes always seem to involve psychos carrying large magazine clips, why exactly does that need to be legal?

Old 07-22-2012, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
It also bothers me when gun nuts jump all over these crimes as if everyone needs to be carrying a gun. In a dark theater filled with smoke, would it be safe for random people to start firing in hopes they hit the right person? Just pointing out that this goes both ways when being used by politicians.
Actually, in Aurora's case it is already illegal to conceal firearms or carry one to a theater in your car.

As for the magazines, he could have kept several low capacity magazines and accomplished the same thing.

And I agree. Anyone, pro-gun or anti-gun should not use this to advocate their positions.

Old 07-22-2012, 05:16 PM

3,357 posts, read 4,635,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post
Much as I've come to despise Bloomberg - who has really turned me against ultra-rich people running for office, which didn't used to bother me - I have to say that I like him speaking up for gun control, apropos of the Aurora Batman killings. Apparently neither Obama nor Romney said anything against the availability of guns in this context, and in this case, Bloomberg's money does exactly what it's supposed to do - it insulates him from pressure from the NRA. (Of course, it's also probably relevant that he's not currently running for anything.)
I very much agree. We've all seen something similiar happen many times over - how surprised can we possibly be? It's illogical not to dramatically strengthen gun control laws (if one cares about innocent human lives being lost). Bloomberg seems to have been one of the few trying to do anything about it in past years.

Old 07-22-2012, 05:19 PM

3,357 posts, read 4,635,425 times
Quote:
Anyone, pro-gun or anti-gun should not use this to advocate their positions.
Only if your position on gun control has nothing to do with innocent people getting killed.

Old 07-22-2012, 05:33 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,220,208 times
Quote:
Actually, in Aurora's case it is already illegal to conceal firearms or carry one to a theater in your car.

As for the magazines, he could have kept several low capacity magazines and accomplished the same thing.

And I agree. Anyone, pro-gun or anti-gun should not use this to advocate their positions.
Yes, but one requires more loading time and the other option allows the person to keep shooting, which situation sounds better? Regardless, I see zero need for large magazine clips. Seriously, explain to me the point of them.

Old 07-22-2012, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Yes, but one requires more loading time and the other option allows the person to keep shooting, which situation sounds better?
Neither. And I won't use this tragedy as an excuse to debate gun control/ pro-gun. Have fun, I'm out.

Old 07-22-2012, 05:53 PM

106,793 posts, read 109,020,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yodel View Post
I very much agree. We've all seen something similiar happen many times over - how surprised can we possibly be? It's illogical not to dramatically strengthen gun control laws (if one cares about innocent human lives being lost). Bloomberg seems to have been one of the few trying to do anything about it in past years.
Someone better teach the bad guys how to read the laws.
No state has tougher laws than us. What good do laws do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City