Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2012, 02:51 PM

20 posts, read 49,615 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jad2k View Post
Right, that's one thing you have to factor in with a house- especially on a single income. With a co-op or even a condo (assuming they have sound financials and enough in reserve) you are somewhat covered on that end.

To the OP- On your budge a co-op is really the best option. You'd own your own space and might even find something with private outdoor space, a garage/parking, and building amenities. Any house in your price range in NYC would be slim pickings- and that's even in the worst of the worst neighborhoods. And on top of that, if you did find something, it would probably need repairs out the wazoo (see likeminas comment about the $5K boiler).

I don't know anything about Queens or which locations would be the best bet, but a quick real estate search turned up some listings for lager co-ops (900+ sq ft). All are under $200K
So you think I should get the condo/coop now and then get a house later when I sell for profit or gain equity however it goes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2012, 03:02 PM
C8N

1,119 posts, read 3,229,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerksauce View Post
So you think I should get the condo/coop now and then get a house later when I sell for profit or gain equity however it goes.
if you are thinking profits... should look at condos instead as you are not going to see too much fluctuation in co-op prices

also, take into consideration of closing fee... which is applied when you buy AND when you sell

do the math and see what makes the most sense

the safest bet is to save the money instead of losing them interest payments, property taxes and etc and put down a big chunk of change on that dream house of yours in the near future

Old 06-20-2012, 03:02 PM

9,847 posts, read 25,256,203 times
Quote:
I know there is soooo much to think about, I am getting a headache.
I just want a nice home for when I retire later in life.

So not one person you know is happy about being a owner
I know people who are happy with their house purchase in New Jersey, PA, etc. But in NYC proper? No. At least when it comes to houses. However I do know several people who are happy with their apartment purchases in NYC...

Old 06-20-2012, 03:06 PM

657 posts, read 717,540 times
Quote:

another thing he should have added that ny people don't like to pay rent......... got a couple of horror stories about tenant that will make you think twice about owning.......... and he right something alway goes wrong with a house. if you young spend your time traveling .... a house destroy big and long vacation..... cause u always got to watch, be at the house ...... just my two cent

Old 06-20-2012, 03:09 PM

2,894 posts, read 5,909,801 times
Quote:
Just so you know; It takes on average 7 yrs to break even on a home purchase. And given the current
levels of appreciation, I think it's a little more.
If you do buy something, mentally prepare yourself to hold on to the property for at least a decade before you see any equity.

Old 06-20-2012, 03:12 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,394,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citylove101 View Post
You cannot get a house in Queens for 100K. I dont think you can get a house anywhere in the five boroughs for that amount-- at least not one in a neighborhood that you 'd want to live in. You can buy a studio or 1 bedroom apartment in some decent neighborhoods in Queens, the Bronx, and maybe uptown Manhattan for that. Or perhaps you can get into one of the affordable housing programs scattered throughout the city.

But a whole real house for $100,000? Unless you can travel back in time 30 years, I think not.
$80k is a pretty good salary though- would he qualify for affordable housing?

Old 06-20-2012, 03:27 PM

3,357 posts, read 4,635,425 times
Quote:

I'm happy to be a home owner so there's at least one in NYC. We bought a house in 2004 (making less than 100K) using a program called Community Works through HSBC. The restriction is that you have to buy in a relatively low income zip code (we live in the nicest neighborhood in our zip code in my opinion). This program had relaxed down-payment requirements, below market interest rates and even in some cases would contribute to the downpayment. I assume the program still exists. If you bought a multi-family, they would count a certain amount of future rental income for you to qualify for the loan. I think it's worth checking out.

Old 06-20-2012, 06:42 PM

20 posts, read 49,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yodel View Post
I'm happy to be a home owner so there's at least one in NYC. We bought a house in 2004 (making less than 100K) using a program called Community Works through HSBC. The restriction is that you have to buy in a relatively low income zip code (we live in the nicest neighborhood in our zip code in my opinion). This program had relaxed down-payment requirements, below market interest rates and even in some cases would contribute to the downpayment. I assume the program still exists. If you bought a multi-family, they would count a certain amount of future rental income for you to qualify for the loan. I think it's worth checking out.
Thanks, this is good info. I will check this out.
Good to hear a happy home owner is here.

Old 06-20-2012, 07:05 PM

9,247 posts, read 24,092,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by C8N View Post
just know when you are borrowing $100k at 3.5% at 30yrs fixed, your monthly payment is $449.04.
at the end of the mortgage you have paid $161,654.40 which means you paid $61,654.40 on interest alone.

when i first started looking into mortgages, these figures just got me sick to my stomach

its unfortunate that most ppl do not have the the upfront down payment to buy a property but it only makes sense when the interest on your mortgage, property tax and any maintenance is equal or less than that of what you would be able to rent for

obviously if you are rich and have money coming out of your dark side of the moon, you can throw away as much money as you like but most of us are not in that situation.

its one thing to be able afford it and more power to you... but its another thing to see if it make sense

Did you not consider that the interest on a mortgage and whatever you might pay in property taxes is tax deductible ?

I guess everyone's situation is different but for me I feel almost like the government is making my payments for me.I pay almost no income taxes since I bought my apartment.My total mortgage payment plus my monthly co op maintenance combined are less than it would cost to rent the same apartment and I get to deduct almost all of it.Sort of like living rent free.

The alternative is to pay someone else's mortgage by paying them rent while you get no tax deductions.

Last edited by bluedog2; 06-20-2012 at 07:22 PM..

Old 06-21-2012, 06:29 AM
C8N

1,119 posts, read 3,229,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
Did you not consider that the interest on a mortgage and whatever you might pay in property taxes is tax deductible ?

I guess everyone's situation is different but for me I feel almost like the government is making my payments for me.I pay almost no income taxes since I bought my apartment.My total mortgage payment plus my monthly co op maintenance combined are less than it would cost to rent the same apartment and I get to deduct almost all of it.Sort of like living rent free.

The alternative is to pay someone else's mortgage by paying them rent while you get no tax deductions.
tax deductible doesn't mean free... you do not get back the $61k in total from the government
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City