Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-31-2012, 12:46 PM

2 posts, read 2,456 times

Advertisements

I'm job hunting right now, and there's a potential job for me in Fort Lee, NJ. One of my priorities is to live some place where I can conveniently go out and enjoy the nightlife (which isn't the case currently, and is the main reason I'm looking at jobs). Another priority is to not have a horrible commute, I'd say 30 minutes each way max. I don't mind driving, nor do I mind taking public transportation as far as the commute goes.
So if I were to work in Fort Lee, I would want to be able to go out in Manhattan. My question is, where could I live so that I could have a reasonable commute to work, but could also go out on the weekends conveniently. Is it even doable?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2012, 01:29 PM

5,538 posts, read 8,865,652 times
You're looking at anything along the A/C line, From 207th St to maybe 110th st , or the 1 line from 181s St to 96th. You'd take the train to the GWB bus station and hop onto one of the many little shuttles (not NJ transit) that run at almost all hours and take you into Ft. Lee for a couple of bucks. You'd have to check to see that they let you off somewhere near where you worked--IIRC they all have slightly different routes.

So your neighborhoods could be Harlem, Washington Heights, Hudson Heights, Morningside Heights, or Manhattan Valley--with Hudson Heights being closest. Depending on where you lived there, you could actually just walk to the bus terminal. Of course living in any of these places is hellish for a car owner what with alternate side of the street parking, so you'd have to get a garage.

Both the A/C and 1 (and 2/3 below 96th st) go downtown and connect with trains for anyplace else in the city you'd want to go for your social life.

Old 06-01-2012, 09:54 PM

3,452 posts, read 4,651,048 times
Default Fort Lee

I would highly recommend looking for a place in Fort lee/Cliffside park. There are buses that can take you to Grand Central Station in Manhattan (any time of the day) and most will get you there in under an hour. I am also very sure that there are buses that cross the george washington bridge and can get you to parts of upper manhattan within 10-15 mins. Not sure what the bus lines are but you can easily find that info online. I do know that they run several buses through fort lee each hour.

I lived in Cliffside park/fort lee for a short 3 month stint and absolutely love the area. Nice shopping strip, plenty of grocery store options, and very nice and clean neighborhoods. Also many nice apartments & condo's as well!

Think that you will absolutely love it. Good luck!!

Old 06-01-2012, 10:01 PM

11,685 posts, read 12,857,105 times
Why not just live in Fort Lee? There are plenty of highrise buildings. The buses to Manhattan run frequently and it's a fairly short ride.

Old 06-08-2012, 07:58 AM
C8N

1,119 posts, read 3,247,972 times
night life doesn't only exist in the manhattan
hoboken nj has a night life
some places in jersey city has that west village feel

and if you do need to go into the city, it is only a couple stops on the nj path trains
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City