Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2012, 10:49 PM

10 posts, read 26,080 times

Advertisements

I am a 29 asian male who will work at st barnabas hospital as a medical intern. My wife and I will move to bronx and we are looking for a studio or 1 bedroom in Bronx. My maximum rental price would be 1200 dollars (40*monthly income). I don't have a car and will rely on public transportation to the hospital. Safety is the first priority. There are two places I am looking for now:

1,downtown riverdale: it would be 10-14min walk to 238st bus stop where I can take Bx9 to the hospital.

2, middletown-pelham bay park: it could be also 5-10min walk to the Bx12 pelham bay park bus stop.

I was told that the intern usually finished the job around 10pm-2am at night everyday. I am wondering if it is safe to walk back home from these two bus stops at night. I read the forum that in riverdale there is "steps" between waldo ave and 238th street, which is not very safe. A guy was killed at west 232st when he returned back home from manhattan at 12.30am last month. And also it is said there are homeless people around pelham bay park station, which concerns me. Which of the two places is safer? I never live in NYC before. Any inputs would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2012, 11:24 PM

10,914 posts, read 31,471,200 times
W238th is not far from the police station on W236th and Kingsbridge, so it is not a terrible location. Stair streets are actually more dangerous for cars parked in the vicinity of the top of the stair streets as it is easier to sustain property damage/theft and evade detection. Unfortunately, the murder on W232nd appears to have been the case of a targeted crime,i.e., the alleged perpetrators saw the iPhone on the train and followed him to steal it at a secluded spot. Serious crime is not very common in the 50th precinct, that covers Riverdale, but you do need to take adequate precautions, such as not walking around with an iPhone or iPad in use on the bus, on the street, etc.

An alternative to the Bx9, since you would be walking up the hill anyway, would be to take the Bx1 to W231st & Riverdale Avenue, and then getting the Bx7 to points up the hill via Riverdale Avenue. The Bx1 would let you off close to the stop for the Bx7, which is in front of the Manhattanville Nursing Home at W231st and Riverdale. That would be a route I would recommend, provided both routes are operating, though I would forego the walk in from Broadway to the stairs late at night, because the streets are pretty quiet, and would instead walk up the hill on Riverdale. It's a more challenging walk, but Riverdale is a wide, bright avenue, and has more traffic as well.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 05-28-2012, 12:31 AM

bmwguydc, thank you very much for all your great suggestions!

Old 05-28-2012, 12:47 AM

anyone has the idea of pelham bay park station? Walk at night there would be safe?

Old 05-28-2012, 06:51 AM

25,426 posts, read 37,226,186 times
As an intern, you will work HARD and LONG. You don't want commuting time to be a single minute longer than it has to be.
In your situtation I would try to find the best buiding on the safest street within a 3 or 4 block walk from the hospital complex, perhaps there is a block with a lot of hospital personnel? Ask everyone you come in contact with in the hospital.
A years' lease will give you ample times to sort out first hand what most suits you in a living arrangement.

Old 05-28-2012, 07:31 AM

9,253 posts, read 24,137,024 times
If you are going to look in the East Bronx and use the Bx 12 it's not necessary at all to be all the way over to Pelham Bay.Anywhere along Pelham Parkway,which is the route of the Bx12,is fine and will provide a much shorter commute.Actually,the neighborhoods around Pelham Parkway and Williamsbridge Road and Pelham Parkway and Eastchester Road are nicer,IMO.

I'd look around Williamsbridge Road ,just to the South of Pelham Parkway.Nice neighborhood there with lots of shops and restaurants and only a few blocks from the subway for when you want to go to Manhattan.It's really much nicer there than the area right around the Pelham Bay station.There are also a lot of Asian people living there and a number of Asian owned businesses.There is also a very large medical community there because it is adjacent to Albert Einstein College and Jacobi Medical Center.A nice sized 1 br for 1,200 should be no problem in this area.A studio would be around 1,000,maybe 950 if you are lucky.

Last edited by bluedog2; 05-28-2012 at 08:01 AM..

Old 05-28-2012, 08:04 AM

To Kefir King: thank you very much for the suggestion. I was told that Belmont was a rough neighborhood. I am worried that there would be potential danger since I have to walk back home very late at night every day. So I decide to choose a neighborhood where I can safely walk at night.

To bluedog2: I have read many of your threads and good comments about pelham parkway/morris park. There seems to be more apartments for renting near white plains road than williamsbridge road in morris park. Also my concern would be whether it is safe to walk every night once I get off the Bx12? because I read in different forums that there are more crimes around white plains road. Morris park is mainly composed of houses, very few apartments for renting. I am not sure whether I can find one.

Thank you very much to both of you for the suggestions!

Old 05-28-2012, 08:40 AM

9,253 posts, read 24,137,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxintern View Post
To Kefir King: thank you very much for the suggestion. I was told that Belmont was a rough neighborhood. I am worried that there would be potential danger since I have to walk back home very late at night every day. So I decide to choose a neighborhood where I can safely walk at night.

To bluedog2: I have read many of your threads and good comments about pelham parkway/morris park. There seems to be more apartments for renting near white plains road than williamsbridge road in morris park. Also my concern would be whether it is safe to walk every night once I get off the Bx12? because I read in different forums that there are more crimes around white plains road. Morris park is mainly composed of houses, very few apartments for renting. I am not sure whether I can find one.

Thank you very much to both of you for the suggestions!
White Plains Road around Pelham Parkway is fine.The White Plains Road crime corridor,if that's what you want to call it,is much further North,up in the 220's and 230's.I use the Pelham Parkway stop @ White Plains Road at all hours and never even feel a sense of danger.It is an extremely busy transportation and shopping hub with 24 hr businesses( many of them owned by Asians by the way) and I think that keeps a lid on crime.There are always large numbers of people around.

Yes,there are probably more apartments near White Plains Road than around Williamsbridge Road but there are plenty around and on Williamsbridge.Use this street view to familiarize yourself with the neighborhood.

Not sure what makes you think either 238 and Broadway or the area under the Pelham Bay 6 stop are "safer" than this area of Pelham Parkway because they aren't.The stretch of Williamsbridge from Pelham Parkway down to Morris Park Ave is the "safest" of all the areas we are talking about.
2172 williamsbridge Road,bronx - Google Maps

You would have absolutely no problem walking from the Bx12 stop at the corner of Pelham Parkway and Williamsbridge.

I suggest you visit all these areas and see for yourself.

Last edited by bluedog2; 05-28-2012 at 09:09 AM..

Old 05-28-2012, 04:50 PM

Thank very very much, bluedog2. I will definitely visit all these areas at night to feel the neighborhood.

I originally try to find an apartment near pelham parkway because it is close to the hospital. However, when I look at the crime map: http://www.trulia.com/real_estate/Ne...ew_York/crime/
It seems there are more issues around the white plains road than the other two areas. That's reason I decide to see around in riverdale and pelham bay. Maybe I am too worried. Personally I like white plains road more than the other two, because there are more people shopping around, giving a sense of safe.

Last edited by Bronxintern; 05-28-2012 at 05:07 PM..

Old 05-28-2012, 05:23 PM

4,840 posts, read 9,942,636 times
I agree with bluedog. I personally find Morris Park/Eastern Pelham Parkway a lot nicer then Pelham Bay [except for Country Club of course]. It is also a shorter commute to Manhattan from those areas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City