Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2012, 12:32 PM

2,691 posts, read 4,334,508 times

Advertisements

Yep, they will FINALLY provide delivery to the Bronx-- and that's the ENTIRE Bronx, not just Riverdale! Also, they have a promotion going for a $50 discount/coupon on the first two orders for new [Bronx] customers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2012, 12:45 PM

8,743 posts, read 18,389,726 times
Ok so here is the deal with that. The ONLY reason they are now serving the entire Bronx is because of all the bad press and pressure from the Southern Bronx community about their ridiculous deal to move into the area. They had NO interest in serving us EVER, however because NOW they are getting bad press they made an about face. Secondly, and more importantly, WE DONT WANT THEIR WAREHOUSE BLOCKING THE WATERFRONT NOR THE THOUSANDS OF TRUCKS COMING INTO AND OUT OF THE COMMUNITY SPEWING TOXINS.

Their announcement only means they are feeling the pressure from their existing members, local officials, as well as Southern Bronx community. We have no interest in their business relocating to our community, and as such will be fighting their move into the Southern Bronx. This entire move is a tax funded giveaway, and confiscation of the waterfront with NO COMMUNITY INPUT.

Sorry but we are just getting started with our Fresh Direct protest. Try learning about the reality of the Fresh Direct deal, and you will quickly see why it is bad for the Bronx.

South Bronx Group Calls For FreshDirect Boycott - DNAinfo.com

Old 05-18-2012, 12:53 PM

1,682 posts, read 3,171,333 times
Since this is likely,

How can this factory better integrated into the existing Bronx River Greenway plans? Greenroof?

Electric truck requirement?

Warehouse deliveries by rail?

Old 05-18-2012, 01:12 PM

Umm...there is nothing to indicate this is likely. A total review of this deal is being requested by our elected officials, litigation will be commencing, and the 99 year lease deal made with the city and the owners of the site is being reviewed.

Stay tuned because this is all just getting started.

Old 05-18-2012, 01:25 PM

2,691 posts, read 4,334,508 times
That's all fine and good but, where is their warehouse now and why aren't there similar issues or concerns with that location (or are there concerns too and that's why they are moving)? Also, if I'm representative of many POVs, I may "get" the protests and the reasons behind why they now, all of a sudden, are delivering to the BX but I'm less concerned about the politics behind the reason then the fact that I can now get delivery. You know, not everyone cares about the hoopla and protests, only that they can get services and amenities that were once lacking. When I lived in the BX I was quite irritated that they wouldn't deliver to 10467. I don't even use FreshDirect! I just like the option to be able to use them. There was also quite a bit of people up in arms about Whole Foods coming to Red Hook; many [related] concerns about why it would be bad for the neighborhood etc...

Old 05-18-2012, 01:36 PM

jad2k, I cannot speak for the situation in LIC. Maybe the residents love the fumes? Maybe the warehouse is not blocking accessing to the waterfront or placed in the way of parkland/residential development? I will let the good people of LIC determine what is best for them.

And yes, now you are blessed with paying exorbitant prices for food, as well as the pleasure of having trucks idle nonstop in your neighborhood, with all the noise and fumes that come with it. But the Bronx is not the only one complaining about the truck noise, traffic, and fumes, residents of the UWS have also been complaining about the problem in their neighborhood. How exactly does a business who prides itself on "good health" flood the city with trucks, noise, and fumes????

Whole Foods does not drive around the city idling trucks as the core of their business model!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

But don't take my word for it...
UWS Neighbors Say Fresh Direct Trucks Deliver Too Much Noise - DNAinfo.com

Old 05-18-2012, 01:38 PM

2,475 posts, read 2,772,952 times
Fresh Direct is way overpriced. I would never shop through them.

Old 05-18-2012, 01:51 PM

2,894 posts, read 5,911,237 times
Riverdale aside, will there be really a demand for this service?

Old 05-18-2012, 01:53 PM

95 posts, read 259,820 times
How about you purchase a small shopping/laundry cart (if you do not own a car) and head to the local supermarket. I can see how many people wouldn't mind getting food deliveries in return with higher asthma rates and obesity from the laziness.

Old 05-18-2012, 01:56 PM

I am hoping there is no demand and that they ultimately stay in LIC. We do not want the truck traffic, fumes, and noise. Since they serve Riverdale and Woodlawn exclusively in the Bronx, I am happy to have the warehouse in Riverdale or Woodlawn. I am sure both neighborhoods would welcome the 2,000+ trucks trips a day, and all the noise and fumes to go with it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City