Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2007, 07:29 PM

2,806 posts, read 16,403,624 times

Advertisements

Hey,

I've been noticing recently that this board has become a mob scene with people from the Bronx.

However we only have 1.4 million out of the city's 8 million people. So I think people from other boroughs need to start speaking up.

What about you guys from Brooklyn and Queens. Why don't we get more posts going about those boroughs? How about all you yuppies down in Manhattan south of 96th st. Why aren't you guys doing any posting?

I'm sure I'll get trashed for this, but whatever, I just thought it needed to be said. I live here and all, but the Bronx isn't all there is to NYC. There's more out there than our borough.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2007, 07:35 PM

564 posts, read 1,730,891 times
Bronx is probably the most interesting borough in terms of neighborhoods, demographics, and the future. I love talking about it, but Staten Island and Manhattan are severly under-talked about on this forum.

Old 09-19-2007, 07:41 PM

12,115 posts, read 33,811,569 times
I'll give it a shot. Does anyone know the firehouse on 782 8th Avenue and 48th street, Engine Co 54 which was the firehouse which most of our hero firefighters who died on 9/11 worked at?

That firehouse was built in 1973 and opened in 3/74.

I always liked the architecture of that firehouse and felt it always contrasted sharply with the block it was on, which was terribly run down and there always seemed to be a lot of undesirable characters hanging around

My question is what was there before it was built?

Old 09-19-2007, 09:31 PM

842 posts, read 4,318,104 times
Yea, let's talk about something else LOL. I think New York is overrated. It's just a place to live. But, honestly, I still believe living in Manhattan is what makes NYC special (from a global aspect). When I grow older and become successful, I want to buy an apartment near Lincoln Center (66th St.). Back when I was a kid and my parents were still together, we used to take trips to Lincoln Center as a family. We used to dress formal and enjoy classical music. The people, the smell, and the sights are still pressed into my memory. I know this is a rant but I just wanted to talk about something other than the Bronx.

Where is your dream residence?

Old 09-20-2007, 01:58 AM

1,529 posts, read 2,818,815 times
I am surprised Staten Island and Queens North (Minus Corona/East Elmhurst) don't get a lot of attention. A ton of neighborhoods with relatively high quality of life.

A lot of nice areas to live in on Staten Island, just don't move in too close to any NYCHA or section 8 developments. These are concentrated on the North Shore. Same rules apply for Queens North.

Better for them I guess.

In Manhattan a lot of areas are decent south of E 96th/W 110th and away from low income public housing (PJ's of the LES for example). However there are plenty of quality of life issues in Manhattan South, unless you are a pro urban freak. Nice place to visit, wouldn't wanna live there.

This is a pro city message board so of course the more urban boroughs will get discussed first though. Another forumer also took it upon himself to bump every Bronx thread he missed over his brief exodus.

As for my dream residence. Not in NYC that's for sure, Haha.

Old 09-20-2007, 06:20 AM

1,526 posts, read 5,616,222 times
Yes, there are quality of life issues in Manhattan South. Many people live in tiny apts and can't live like normal adults, but kind of like perpetual college students. I read a recent NY Times article about a couple living in the west 20's, I think, sharing a 300 square foot space to be in Manhattan. And if you rent there, you have a good chance of being priced out of your little hovel at some point.

Take a look see at Lincoln Center rents. You'd have to be very successful indeed to afford living there. But anything's possible...

Old 09-20-2007, 08:24 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,331,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mead View Post
Hey,

I've been noticing recently that this board has become a mob scene with people from the Bronx.

However we only have 1.4 million out of the city's 8 million people. So I think people from other boroughs need to start speaking up.

What about you guys from Brooklyn and Queens. Why don't we get more posts going about those boroughs? How about all you yuppies down in Manhattan south of 96th st. Why aren't you guys doing any posting?

I'm sure I'll get trashed for this, but whatever, I just thought it needed to be said. I live here and all, but the Bronx isn't all there is to NYC. There's more out there than our borough.
It's interesting to see the Bronx is such a hot topic on here. I think it is because the Bronx is currently undergoing the most change of all the boroughs. Whether these changes will turn out good or bad is yet to be determined.

However, Brooklyn has gone through quite a bit of change in recent years as well, and there aren't that many Brooklyn threads. I don't know, maybe there just happens to be a concentration of Bronx people on here.

Also am I to presume SI, and Queens people are pretty happy with their quality of life and therefore don't have much to talk about. Your not going to see a ton of happy threads.

Last edited by NooYowkur81; 09-20-2007 at 08:50 AM..

Old 09-20-2007, 09:32 AM

2,978 posts, read 4,025,659 times
Brooklyn has had its time in the limelight from about 1993-2005. It was during this period where the borough was set for a transformation and was ultimately inundated with the hippies, yuppies, stock brokers, and other manhattan-style residents. There are still many areas in Brooklyn that are reasonably priced, however the hype of Brooklyn has faded because it has already been overruun fairly quickly.

Not sure what to say about Queens, except that it is very residential/suburban, and every country in the world is represented there. You love diversity...move to Queens...every block has a different country!

The Bronx is the hot topic as of late because so many are hedging their bets there. There are numerous speculators, investors, homeowners, transplants, newbies, immigrants moving into the borough that it is definitely in a transition, however nobody knows what the heck will happen. There is alot of interesting speculation, but one thing is for sure, the Bronx is improving, and attracting much more attention, and it is feeding off itself. Only time will tell if the Bronx is in the beginning stages of a resurgence, or just alot of hype...I believe it is somewhere in the middle.

Old 09-20-2007, 03:19 PM

318 posts, read 1,101,487 times
Quote:
Hey,

I've certainly noticed that this forum is currently very Bronx-centric. For a borough that's been so neglected for so long, it's really getting its 15 minutes.

Maybe some follow the progress of the Bronx as they would the underdog in the ballgame. Maybe others need an easy target to talk bad about in order to feel better about their small apartment, high rent or extreme commute. Some may hope to attract investment while others may hope to discourage it for fear of being displaced. I love reading all the different opinions and hearing all the debate. To me, it's the most interesting thing to look at on this forum. But there must be interesting things going on in other parts of the city. No?

Old 09-20-2007, 05:25 PM

34,168 posts, read 47,673,463 times
Quote:
Hey,

part of it is due to the fact that currently the bronx is the cheapest boro to live...and many eager middle-class new yorkers are anxious to see the bronx become the new place to live for a family making 50K-100K a year.
staten island is basically a suburb.
queens is so diverse we may need a spearate forum for that.
brooklyn gentrification is only in a few areas.
manhattan is for the rich folk.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: