Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-09-2012, 01:00 AM

1 posts, read 2,139 times

Advertisements

To New York City residents:

I have a fairly unique problem and I was wondering if you could help.

I think I made all the mistakes I could with Manhattan real estate. I received a fellowship for the summer last minute, which meant I had two days essentially to find a place in the city last week, since I won't be returning from abroad until the day before I start work in August. So I jumped on padmapper and found the lowest priced listing close to my future office in midtown east and submitted an application.

However the broker was very pushy and lied constantly.....the brokers fee was 40% more than what he told us....but I signed out of pressure that 'someone else would' without thinking things through, and also on his guarantee that the apartment would be clean and sufficiently repaired by the time I moved in. When I went back to get the keys and see the place though it took four hours of lysol and scrubbing just to see the counters and there was paint all over the windows, damaged parts of the wood floor and counters were not corrected as promised, etc. I understand these are not exactly huge reasons to cancel a lease, but I was wondering if in your time working in Manhattan if you know that this is a possibility, or what the consequences would be.

It's probably too late for a restart but do you know if it is possible to get money back one from the broker and two from the management?

It has been five days since we signed, and we haven't received the papers back.

Thank you so much in advance for your help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2012, 01:29 AM

240 posts, read 621,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miwamagoo View Post
To New York City residents:

I have a fairly unique problem and I was wondering if you could help.

I think I made all the mistakes I could with Manhattan real estate.

Your problem is not unique. You simply made all the mistakes you could with Manhattan real estate!

1) You rushed into it.
2) You did not do proper research
3) You actually signed paperwork before verifying the unit.
4) You took the word of the broker over a stipulated written contract.

I'd say your only recourse at this point would be to take the broker to Small Claims court & explain to the judge that you, "have a fairly unique problem and I was wondering if you could help?"

Old 05-09-2012, 07:36 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,073,996 times
You are stuck, just suck it up. It will likely be short term, right?

Don't even THINK of trying to get money back via court becasue it is rarely worth the trouble and expense unless the amounts are HUGE.

A lot of the things you mention, like splattered paint, filthy counters just come with the terrrain and you are correct to assume that if you didn't snap it up someone else would.

Forget the apartment and try your best to enjoy the City...it is a wonderful place.

(Take a safety razor blade to the windows to get the paint off. Cover anything ugly with something pretty.)

P.S. Brokers are one step up from the kid in Tijuana who comes out of an alley and says "Do you want my seesta, senor?" My experience: 1 for 1 was a crook...that's 100%.

Old 05-09-2012, 08:29 AM

655 posts, read 1,992,242 times
The standard broker's fee should be 15 percent. Have you tried contacting the management of the brokerage the agent works for?

Old 05-09-2012, 08:44 AM

2,894 posts, read 5,906,363 times
A lease is basically a contract. If you signed it you must now abide by it.
You learned your lesson the hard way. Hopefully next time you'll do things better.

Old 05-09-2012, 01:04 PM

393 posts, read 782,947 times
Looks like you are stuck. Signing a lease without seeing the apartment is way too risky. Even when people are available to see apartments for themselves, most of the time they find that the properties are very different in reality than how they were described by brokers. I've only met one broker who was completely honest with us and tried his best to help us find the type of property we were looking for. That's one out of like 25 that I've dealt with over the years.

Like the above poster said, just enjoy the city. Unless the place is seriously unlivable, you can definitely make it work.

Old 05-09-2012, 07:42 PM

4,947 posts, read 10,813,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
P.S. Brokers are one step up from the kid in Tijuana who comes out of an alley and says "Do you want my seesta, senor?" My experience: 1 for 1 was a crook...that's 100%.
So you did in fact pay for his sister?
But he ripped you off?
What were you planning on doing?

Hmmmm.....

Old 05-10-2012, 08:41 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,073,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StaggerLee22 View Post
So you did in fact pay for his sister?
But he ripped you off?
What were you planning on doing?

Hmmmm.....
No, I might have paid for his BROTHER but my rip-off was by a croooked rental broker.
But over the years, the RENT CONTROLLED apartment I got was worth tens of thousands to me so I forgave him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City