Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2012, 01:48 PM

141 posts, read 185,670 times

Advertisements

I have been noticing that the traffic on Nostrand around the Junction gets worse than I thought it could get sometimes. I also notice a decent number of vehicles going southbound on Nostrand that will actually go into the opposing lane to make a left turn onto Glenwood. You can get a handful of them doing it at once too, and the funny thing is that while they are doing this, I see [practically] no vehicles heading north on Nostrand from Flatbush. And we all know that northbound traffic on Nostrand approaching Flatbush is usually pretty light, while the southbound traffic approaching Flatbush is always heavy. More southbound vehicles want to make the turn onto Flatbush, rather than continue straight down Nostrand.

It seems to me that it could still take longer than 4-5 minutes to get from Newkirk to H at certain times, even though the B44 SBS is not stopping at Glenwood. To get an idea of how long it would take a B44 SBS bus to get from Glenwood to H, I recently took note of how much time it took a B44 LT to get from Glenwood to H when I was at the Junction on a Sunday afternoon. It took exactly 4 minutes for the bus to travel from Glenwood (the bus started moving as soon as the signal changed to green there) to H. It left 40 seconds after it arrived at H, as soon as it had a green signal again. A SBS bus probably would have picked up the people quickly enough to make it through before the signal became red, but it definitely would not be able to do anything about the traffic approaching the Junction. I figure it takes about 45 to 60 seconds to drive from Newkirk to Glenwood, and while I was standing at the Junction I noticed that damn near every vehicle on Nostrand (including every B44) had to stop twice between Glenwood and Flatbush. That means that in the worst case scenario, it would still take a B44 SBS about 5 minutes just to travel that little distance from Newkirk to H. That is rather pitiful.

In light of all this, I believe DOT should make Nostrand one way southbound between Farragut and Flatbush. This way there is dedicated space on Nostrand for vehicles that want Flatbush Ave southbound (or want to make a left on Glenwood) and dedicated space for vehicles that want Nostrand Ave southbound. The proposed curbside peak hour bus lane between Farragut and Flatbush.

I also believe that Nostrand Ave northbound between H and Flatbush should be permanently closed off to any vehicle that is not a MTA bus. Note that this would mean that they would not be able to put a curbside peak hour bus lane on Nostrand between I and H.

It would also mean that the dollar cabs that always line up on the northbound side of Nostrand would have to line up heading southbound rather than northbound if they were to remain on that side of the street. They would have to turn around via Nostrand, Flatbush, H, and East 31/32 or New York Ave to head back north to wherever they generally go. B44 locals would either operate via H and New York or Flatbush, Glenwood, and New York, rather than Farragut and New York. Probably the latter option.

Vehicles that want to travel from points along Nostrand south of H to points along Flatbush west of Nostrand should travel via H and Flatbush.

The alleviation of the traffic issues on Nostrand between Farragut and Flatbush would mean that they could keep the number of parking spaces on Nostrand the same. As I have stated before, the way to fix Flatbush is to simply ban parking and standing between H or I and Nostrand heading northbound and between Farragut and Nostrand heading southbound.

Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2012, 06:06 PM

3,327 posts, read 4,357,041 times
Transplants say the darndest things!

Old 04-06-2012, 06:20 PM

5,000 posts, read 8,214,988 times

Old 04-06-2012, 06:48 PM

19,041 posts, read 13,955,559 times
Anyone who can put together such a coherent thought does not belong living in that area.

Old 04-06-2012, 07:54 PM

I do not live in Brooklyn and I am not a transplant.

Old 04-06-2012, 09:26 PM

2,628 posts, read 4,609,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by detroitdiesel View Post
I do not live in Brooklyn and I am not a transplant.
If you don't live there then why care so much about it?

I'm guessing you either go to school at Brooklyn College or you work in the area.

Considering how LONG Nostrand Ave. is, (Sheepshead to Williamsburg) making it a 1 way at ANY section simply does not make sense.

Not to mention, how do you propose rerouting the B44 would go and the inconvenience that would cause?

Old 04-07-2012, 09:18 AM

It already is one-way from Flushing Ave to Farragut Rd.

When MTA makes the B44 SBS they will send the northbound route via Nostrand, Flatbush and Rogers/Bedford instead of Nostrand, Farragut, New York, Fulton, and Bedford. The local route will still operate via Nostrand, Farragut, New York, Fulton, and Bedford.

If they made Nostrand one-way between Farragut and Flatbush I would propose that the northbound B44 local operate via Nostrand, Flatbush, Glenwood, New York, Fulton, and Bedford.

Right now they just plan on banning left turns off Nostrand onto Flatbush northbound for anything that is not a MTA bus. They also want curbside peak-hour bus lanes between I and Flatbush northbound, and between Farragut and H southbound.

Some people have to know about the B44 changes. They were discussed at community board meetings. The only B44 local stop that would be eliminated if they sent it via Nostrand, Flatbush, Glenwood, and New York rather than Nostrand, Farragut and New York would be Nostrand Ave-Farragut Rd.

Last edited by detroitdiesel; 04-07-2012 at 09:27 AM..

Old 04-09-2012, 07:06 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,597,244 times
You want to make Nostrand one-way and what...divert even more traffic onto Flatbush? If that was what you had in mind, then you didn't have to announce that you don't live in Brooklyn; it was obvious.

Old 04-09-2012, 08:12 AM

357 posts, read 727,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
Anyone who can put together such a coherent thought does not belong living in that area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
You want to make Nostrand one-way and what...divert even more traffic onto Flatbush? If that was what you had in mind, then you didn't have to announce that you don't live in Brooklyn; it was obvious.

Quote:
Originally Posted by detroitdiesel View Post
It already is one-way from Flushing Ave to Farragut Rd.

When MTA makes the B44 SBS they will send the northbound route via Nostrand, Flatbush and Rogers/Bedford instead of Nostrand, Farragut, New York, Fulton, and Bedford. The local route will still operate via Nostrand, Farragut, New York, Fulton, and Bedford.

If they made Nostrand one-way between Farragut and Flatbush I would propose that the northbound B44 local operate via Nostrand, Flatbush, Glenwood, New York, Fulton, and Bedford.

Right now they just plan on banning left turns off Nostrand onto Flatbush northbound for anything that is not a MTA bus. They also want curbside peak-hour bus lanes between I and Flatbush northbound, and between Farragut and H southbound.

Some people have to know about the B44 changes. They were discussed at community board meetings. The only B44 local stop that would be eliminated if they sent it via Nostrand, Flatbush, Glenwood, and New York rather than Nostrand, Farragut and New York would be Nostrand Ave-Farragut Rd.
Unfortunately, this would wind up being worse than what we have now.
Making Nostrand one way for that stretch would have only worked if New York Avenue didn't get cut off the way it does.

Old 04-09-2012, 10:49 AM

I would expect the vehicles to go up Flatbush and Rogers. Northbound Flatbush traffic approaching Nostrand is not as bad as the southbound Flatbush traffic. And the northbound traffic on Flatbush between Nostrand and Rogers Ave/Farragut Rd is not really congested. There is a bit of a delay at Glenwood due to the traffic signal for vehicles making the left off Flatbush onto Glenwood eastbound, but this does not create parking lots for northbound traffic.

If the only thing I can do is throw my hands up, then I will throw my hands up and say that the only solution is to ban parking and standing on Nostrand between Glenwood and Flatbush and on Flatbush between Glenwood (maybe even Farragut) and Nostrand southbound at all times. And maybe make Nostrand one-way between Farragut and Glenwood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City