Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-06-2007, 07:57 AM

578 posts, read 2,097,849 times

Advertisements

1) How would you describe the split in the market between the Giants and Jets?
-Overall, are the Giants the premier number one team in the New York tri state region and NYC for football in their sport?
-Are the Giants the equivalent of the Yankees in baseball or Rangers in hockey in their local market?
-Is the disparity similar to Yankees Mets of greater such as Rangers and Isles?

2) Would you say this is pretty consistent or are the Jets gradually becoming more and more New York ’s team?
-If they had moved to New York and the Giants remained in New Jersey I was concerned the Giants would become number two, was this correct?

I am kind of confused on this topic. I have been told by people the Giants Jets split is predominantly Giants, that it is even greater than Yankees Mets but less than Rangers Isles.
Pretty much it goes the Giants make up the majority everywhere but Long Island , much like the Mets but moreso.
However at least in my generation I always felt it looks as if the Giants and Jets are pretty even if not the Jets are becoming the future of New York .
I understand the Giants have older season ticket holders and I just wonder if this eventually is going to lead to the new generation in a couple of years being more Jets fans.

3) Overall how would rank the sport of football both in NYC and the metro region?
-I understand the Giants have a long season ticket waiting list, but many out of town people have often said New York is baseball town, but a pretty average football city.
-Is this true and if so why?
-I’ve heard that specifically in NYC itself you can find anybody talking baseball however football has a lot less overall appeal in the city.
-I know New York is baseball first but I thought football was a huge sport passionately followed but somewhat masked simply because baseball is so big.

4) Further, how does the New York region do in regards to youth football?
-Is this a major sport at the amateur level in high school, the premier sport in schools and a producer of solid recruits or does this lag behind nationally?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2007, 08:35 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,235,134 times
To me the Jets are more of the city team. They have a lot of hardcore NYC fans, moreso than the Giants. A lot of NYC Giant fans are fairweather and passive. The Giants hardcore fanbase is Upstate and in Jersey.

The Jets have hardcore fans sprinkled throughout the city, but their base is mostly Queens/L.I. The Jets really should have their own stadium in Queens. But unfortunately it doesn't look like that is going to happen.

But a lot of people in NYC follow both teams with a preference for one or the other. NYC is a baseball town. With football a distant second.

Old 09-06-2007, 09:12 AM

479 posts, read 879,146 times
The G-Men do own the majority of NY fans but I think it is definitely generational. As the Giants are an older team they will have more fans but the Jets own the 14-39 age bracket hands down. Jets fans definitely have more enthusiasm.

Football does play second fiddle to baseball especially when measured in fan support and passion. Listen to any local sports station such as WFAN or WEPN-NY and you will see first hand how polarizing the Yankee/Met rivalry is. I think that many people also follow other teams outside of NY. For example out of my circle of friends I root hard for the Bears while my friends consist of Raider fans, Chief fan, Cowboy fan, Dolphin fan, etc.. only one of my friends roots for the Jets and none for the Giants.

You also must realize though that since NY has a tremendous population that a lot of folks generally couldn't care less about sports so that makes finding diehards a little more difficult in respects to rank. Its easy for a person to pretend to like baseball because Jeter is a household name whereas football is more intricate.

Hmmm.... as for as NY and youth football, it is not a hotbed of talent like Florida,Texas, Georgia or even neighboring NJ because of resources and climate especially in NYC which is why baseball also lags nationally. But you can find no place more competitive in basketball.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City