Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-28-2011, 03:54 PM

9 posts, read 9,744 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I am currently studying at University in London, uk and I would like to go to Graduate School in US. I have chosen Universities that offer programs I am interested in, I prefer the ones in Cali and Florida. I might also apply to SUNY and CUNY. I have visited Miami few times but I have never been to Cali or NYC.

I would like your opinions on city choices.

Miami, Tampa, Orlando,Naples, Jacksonville

VS

San Diego

VS

NYC

I know this is very general question and it depends n everyone's personal preference. I would just like to know which city do you think is cheapest to live in (big one for students) and best for grad experience (in your opinion).

If it helps I will give you more info about me: I am 24 yo female, going to grad school for Counselling Program, I am down to earth and active, I don't like shallow and superficial people, important things for me in a city i'd live: close to seaside, clean, culture-festivals, art etc, easy to do activities at, not too high living expenses, preferably close to international airport..

oh and I did read a big part of this forum and in some cities in seems like a problem if one don't speak spanish, I dont lol I am fluent in 5 languages but spanish is unfortunately not one of them.

Thank you so much for your help

X
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2011, 05:07 PM

221 posts, read 525,730 times
San Diego.

Old 11-30-2011, 07:12 AM

233 posts, read 721,340 times
You're only in grad school for a short amount of time and then can move anywhere you want to move, so my recommendation is that you choose the best grad school you can get into with the best reputation for its counseling program. I chose a grad school that was close to home and was convenient, but not highly ranked in my field and that choice will affect the rest of my career.

Old 11-30-2011, 07:48 AM

129 posts, read 373,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by florida_boy View Post
You're only in grad school for a short amount of time and then can move anywhere you want to move, so my recommendation is that you choose the best grad school you can get into with the best reputation for its counseling program. I chose a grad school that was close to home and was convenient, but not highly ranked in my field and that choice will affect the rest of my career.

This.

Choosing a grad school has huge implications on your career and profession.

Picking a school based on geographic location (assuming you don't have strong personal reasons to compromise and pick a city.. like moving with your husband) is a bad idea.

Old 11-30-2011, 08:25 AM

3,076 posts, read 5,506,790 times
San Diego

Old 12-01-2011, 11:20 AM

877 posts, read 2,014,752 times
San Diego. Keep in mind that Grad school is expensive and school reputation is priority and so is living in NYC at the same time to pay for rent and other expenses.

Old 12-01-2011, 11:55 AM

6,456 posts, read 7,020,176 times
As a college educated New Yorker for both undergrad and grad degrees, I personally would go with Florida unless you got into somewhere like Columbia.

U Florida or FSU are a far better option provided you would qualify for instate tuition. NYC colleges are generally not worth the price tag in this day and age. The exceptions are the Ivy's and the specialized professional grad programs at NYU or Fordham. Outside of that you are just setting yourself up for life long debt. Besides you can always go to grad school somewhere cheaper and move to NYC later on if you wanted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City