Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2011, 11:56 AM

6 posts, read 6,511 times

Advertisements

Hi, My motorcycle broke down last night as I was heading to NJ so I parked it on a sidewalk since I didn't want to leave it in the middle of 10th ave. I took off the plates to avoid getting them stolen. (they are just simply screwed on) I came back the next morning to pick up my bike and find 2 parking tickets. One for parking on the sidewalk and one for having no plates. Is there anyway I can fight this? I didn't purposely park my bike there. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2011, 12:29 PM

19,060 posts, read 13,989,020 times
Actually, based on your statement above, you did purposefully park it on the sidewalk.

Old 11-22-2011, 12:56 PM

2,848 posts, read 7,584,290 times
Why didn't you just park it legally until you could come back to get it and fix the bike?

Old 11-22-2011, 01:03 PM

4,502 posts, read 13,475,916 times
What are you fighting? You CHOSE to park on the sidewalk. You CHOSE to take the plates off. Pay the ticket and call it a lesson learned.

Old 11-22-2011, 01:18 PM

2,211 posts, read 4,853,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by omigawd View Post
What are you fighting? You CHOSE to park on the sidewalk. You CHOSE to take the plates off. Pay the ticket and call it a lesson learned.
It seems pretty straight forward, doesn't it?

Although give it 24 hours so that all the "the police are out to get you" and "bloomberg is just generating revenue" people have time to post and completely muddy the waters.

Old 11-22-2011, 01:19 PM

2,211 posts, read 4,853,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zmichael View Post
Hi, My motorcycle broke down last night as I was heading to NJ so I parked it on a sidewalk since I didn't want to leave it in the middle of 10th ave. I took off the plates to avoid getting them stolen. (they are just simply screwed on) I came back the next morning to pick up my bike and find 2 parking tickets. One for parking on the sidewalk and one for having no plates. Is there anyway I can fight this? I didn't purposely park my bike there. Thanks
Why would someone want to steal your plates? Is that something that normally happens? Aren't they registered to you? What good would they be to a thief?

Did you take the plates off because you were hoping that a meter maid wouldn't be able to ticket you without them?

That seems the more likely scenario.

Old 11-22-2011, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBrown80 View Post
Did you take the plates off because you were hoping that a meter maid wouldn't be able to ticket you without them?

That seems the more likely scenario.
Haha I thought the same thing!

Old 11-22-2011, 01:45 PM

6 posts, read 6,511 times
Wow most of you are such pricks. can't believe people respond like this.

There was no parking in the area I was in.

Yes, my friends plates were stolen off his bike this summer so before you "assume" shut your mouth.

Old 11-22-2011, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zmichael View Post
Wow Mod cut can't believe people respond like this.

There was no parking in the area I was in.

Yes, my friends plates were stolen off his bike this summer so before you "assume" shut your mouth.

We're not assuming. You just clearly told us that you parked your bike on the sidewalk. There's no ifs/ands/buts about it. Too bad your bike broke down. It's unfortunate. You still parked illegally though, so that's why they ticketed you.

Last edited by bmwguydc; 11-22-2011 at 06:01 PM..

Old 11-22-2011, 01:59 PM

10,914 posts, read 31,416,920 times
You can always appeal a ticket, either by mail or in person at a revenue office. For Manhattan, you can get an immediate hearing at 66 John Street, and there are other finance offices for each borough where you may appear in person during regular hearing hours for an on-demand hearing. You may be given an offer of settlement prior to a hearing, but the caveat is that if you opt for the hearing and lose, the settlement is off the table, and you will likely have to pay the full fine and associated costs if you are not successful in your appeal.

License plates do get stolen from both cars and motorcycles that are parked on the street, though it is not as easy with a car sometimes as it is with a motorcycle. If you have the bike parked on the street, at any time, you can get a locking frame, just as you can with a vehicle that can make it that much more difficult to seal the plates. It's a device to deter the theft, not prevent it entirely, but might not be a bad option to consider. Such frames can also be used on cars as well to deter theft of plates.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City