Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2011, 06:08 PM

25,368 posts, read 37,053,451 times

Advertisements

One myst be careful with spelling.

PSYCHICS is the study of mind reading
PHYSICS is the study of Enema Technique.

Old 11-10-2011, 07:55 AM

83 posts, read 99,401 times
Default They teach mind-reading?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andez View Post
You guys do know in my graduating class at Brooklyn Tech (very recent) there was about 1,000 black and hispanic kids combined. Yeah the percentage may not be that high but let's stop acting like they don't go to the school. My psychics class actually had more blacks than Asians...
So you are saying students of color are more interested in reading minds than other ethnicities? OMG! What racism!

I'm joking. Did you mean physics? I guess that was a typo. I hope that was a typo. I pray that was a typo.

Old 11-10-2011, 07:59 AM

Default I think the OP meant Stuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by bg7 View Post
No ones "acting like that", hyperbole doesn't help.
I don't think the OP mentioned BK Tech. I, personally, think BK Tech is closer to the ideal of a "specialized" school. It has high standards and is accessible to a wide variety of students.

I'm from another large American city, but if I had grown up here and had gotten into Tech instead of Stuy, I don't think I would have been too upset.

Old 11-10-2011, 08:15 AM

4,663 posts, read 4,545,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by celticvisa View Post
I don't think the OP mentioned BK Tech. I, personally, think BK Tech is closer to the ideal of a "specialized" school. It has high standards and is accessible to a wide variety of students.

I'm from another large American city, but if I had grown up here and had gotten into Tech instead of Stuy, I don't think I would have been too upset.
The criterion used for acceptance to Brooklyn Tech is exactly the same as the criterion used for Stuyvesant: performance on a single test. Are you saying that it's closer to the ideal of a specialized school because the standards are lower?

Old 11-10-2011, 11:12 AM

13,648 posts, read 20,767,629 times
Quote:
This is truly simple-minded thinking and a case of blaming the victims.

What caused this "bad culture"? What caused this "faulty upbringing"? You don't see any racism or ignorance or lack of humanity in your attitude?
What caused this "bad culture"? Same explanation for what causes bad culture in a vast array of situations and settings. Forget race and compare Norway to Greece if you want to see good (government) culture vs bad.

Let's start by defining culture:

The distinctive ideas, customs, social behaviour, products, or way of life of a particular society, people, or period. Hence: a society or group characterized by such customs, etc. (Oxford English Dictionary)

The kids we are tallking about most likely have grown up in households headed by one parent, probably a very young and immature parent. The other parent is fleeting, if not absent from the scene. Household earnings are scarce and the domestic environment is predictably chaotic due to siblings from other partners, drug abuse, and an overall lack of stability.

Does this sound familiar? Of course it does. Pat Monyihan described it way back in 1965 and Jesse Jackson continues to describe it today.

Not exactly an environment that would foster the necessary educational drive and intellectual curiosity needed to gain admission to Stuyvestant. To do well academically, one requires parents that motivate: help with homework, involvement with the school/PTA. It requires frequent and voracious reading.

Do you honestly think the kids we are discussing are receiving anything close to that?

Now, compare that to, let's say, a Jewish or Asian family and their children. Do you honestly think they are mirror images of each other? Do you think the same committment to education is going on only to be twarted by the new Bull Connor at the New York City Board of Education? Come one.

As for "blaming the victims", I am not. I blame their parents who saw fit to get knocked up before they themselves had requried the life skills to make a living and raise a family.

Quote:
You don't see any racism or ignorance or lack of humanity in your attitude?
This makes you sound a bit thick.

I am the one who said this was NOT genetic. Its a cultural problem. As such, it is NOT permanent. These kids, given a proper and nurturing environment, would do just fine, indeed many would be superior.

And lack of humanity? I want them to do better. I know they can do better. Where is the lack of humanity in that?

I would suggest you dispense with the bedwetting, histrionic, and oh so hackneyed smears and take a sober look at this. Calling people racist is the simpleton's way.

Old 11-10-2011, 08:18 PM

2,223 posts, read 5,351,521 times
[quote=DAS;21642405]
Quote:

The curriculum may not be challenging, is an opinion. However most students that graduate from parochial schools have 12 solid years of education, with solid English and math skills. They usually can go to 4 year colleges, and don't require remedial courses. Which is more than a lot of public school educated graduates have after 12 years of school.

Alot of that is not only the school but also the home. Most people that will pay for their child's education, is going to provide the home atmosphere that is conducive to learning.
Somehow, the quote attached to this had my name on it. That wasn't from me. I don't know much about the curriculum in Catholic schools today. I know that when I went from public middle school to Brooklyn Tech back in the 80s, a lot of Catholic school kids -- lots of Hispanics -- came from those K-8 schools, most of which are now closed.

Old 11-11-2011, 03:34 PM

877 posts, read 2,012,282 times
The problem is not the "racism" admittance in these specialized high schools, but rather the racism that exists in colleges.

Old 11-11-2011, 05:34 PM

25,368 posts, read 37,053,451 times
Quote:
To do well academically, one requires parents that motivate: help with homework, involvement with the school/PTA. It requires frequent and voracious reading.
Speaking from experience, motivating parents are completely unnecessary towards developing a mind that will excell at on Intelligence test. A bright child is born not manufactured.
A bright child will read voraciously and a dim one will not and the number of parents is totally immaterial.

Old 11-11-2011, 07:06 PM

4,663 posts, read 4,545,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
Speaking from experience, motivating parents are completely unnecessary towards developing a mind that will excell at on Intelligence test. A bright child is born not manufactured.
A bright child will read voraciously and a dim one will not and the number of parents is totally immaterial.
I don't know if this is entirely true. If you leave a toddler in front of a TV with a bunch of toys day after day, they're *never* going to find the discipline to sit still and read a book on their own.

Old 11-11-2011, 07:20 PM

Default closer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Zero View Post
The criterion used for acceptance to Brooklyn Tech is exactly the same as the criterion used for Stuyvesant: performance on a single test. Are you saying that it's closer to the ideal of a specialized school because the standards are lower?
I said it's closer to the "ideal" of a specialized school because it has high standards and diversity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City