Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-30-2011, 07:21 PM

110 posts, read 222,241 times

Advertisements

I recently went to an afternoon Yankees game, they beat the Blue Jays by the way, afterwards we went to Stan's Sports Bar for a few beers, it was fun, as it was closing I asked a local police officer if 'there were any local bars he'd like to suggest that we could head to', whilst giving a 'hand gun' gesture, he informed me 'not to go to any local bars' meaning that some locals carried guns and wouldn't really like tourists like myself invading their local, that my best plan would be to 'get back on the subway to Manhattan' he even warned against heading to Arthur Ave as we 'didn't know the area'. This police officer had the best intentions and our interest and well being at heart, but was he being over zealous with his advice or was his caution warranted?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2011, 07:34 PM

801 posts, read 1,105,804 times
Thank God he told you that. Cuz other wise you might been jump around that area. See people likes to go to the game and enjoy after. But on real talk is dangerous, and is not the bars, is the gangs and crack heads that waits for the moment. The best once the game or activity finishes go away!! And if the subway is kind of empty be careful!!!!!!!!!

Old 10-01-2011, 12:27 AM

655 posts, read 1,993,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdaz View Post
I recently went to an afternoon Yankees game, they beat the Blue Jays by the way, afterwards we went to Stan's Sports Bar for a few beers, it was fun, as it was closing I asked a local police officer if 'there were any local bars he'd like to suggest that we could head to', whilst giving a 'hand gun' gesture, he informed me 'not to go to any local bars' meaning that some locals carried guns and wouldn't really like tourists like myself invading their local, that my best plan would be to 'get back on the subway to Manhattan' he even warned against heading to Arthur Ave as we 'didn't know the area'. This police officer had the best intentions and our interest and well being at heart, but was he being over zealous with his advice or was his caution warranted?
Over zealous in my opinion and ignorant as well. By the way in case you're wondering there are at least three other bars in the area and by the way in the area means within a one-block vicinity of the stadium.

In case you're wondering what they are, they are the Yankee Tavern where the Babe is said to have kicked back one or two beers after a game. Also is Billy's which I went to six years ago and found vastly overpriced. And directly across River Avenue from the Stadium is the Dugout, good name for a bar.

So keep that in mind for your next trip to a Yankee game.

Old 10-01-2011, 01:52 AM

16,200 posts, read 23,059,069 times
Those bars are yankee bars great for pre-game drinking and also post-game drinking. IF your an opposing team please check else and go to the Transplant bars that dominate much of Manhattan especially those in the village which does not cater to much NYC sports enthusiasts. The cop was just looking out for you, just mind your business and you should be ok. Besides lots of youths in the hood especially the ghetto types wear all sorts of baseball caps and logos from all across the nation because of hip hop urban fashion. But if you plan on going to those bars after games or to watch a game on the big screen either wear a Yankee cap or NFL Giants or even a Knicks Jersey of some sorts and patrons and local wonts ridicule you or even worse. As for going to Arthur Avenue at night the cop gave you some wise information it gets dangerous there after dark, your probably more safer around the Yankee stadium area due to police presence and Court House and other civil buildings in that area. Two weeks ago I was at a Transplant bar in the village called Riviera I was the only guy with a Yankees cap and a NFL giants Jersey, everyone was was wearing out of state crap, I was really out of place!

Old 10-01-2011, 04:24 AM

5,452 posts, read 11,256,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdaz View Post
heading to Arthur Ave
Please, don't go looking for any Arthur Ave.

Old 10-01-2011, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
Those bars are yankee bars great for pre-game drinking and also post-game drinking. IF your an opposing team please check else and go to the Transplant bars that dominate much of Manhattan especially those in the village which does not cater to much NYC sports enthusiasts. The cop was just looking out for you, just mind your business and you should be ok. Besides lots of youths in the hood especially the ghetto types wear all sorts of baseball caps and logos from all across the nation because of hip hop urban fashion. But if you plan on going to those bars after games or to watch a game on the big screen either wear a Yankee cap or NFL Giants or even a Knicks Jersey of some sorts and patrons and local wonts ridicule you or even worse. As for going to Arthur Avenue at night the cop gave you some wise information it gets dangerous there after dark, your probably more safer around the Yankee stadium area due to police presence and Court House and other civil buildings in that area. Two weeks ago I was at a Transplant bar in the village called Riviera I was the only guy with a Yankees cap and a NFL giants Jersey, everyone was was wearing out of state crap, I was really out of place!
A lot of bars become team bars because things like meetup groups of teams go there and they have arrangements with the owners. My favorite midtown bar is a St. Louis Cardinals and Pittsburgh Penguins spot because of that. I was there Wednesday with the Cardinal fans and we were all rooting against the Red Sox.

Old 10-01-2011, 10:57 AM

16,200 posts, read 23,059,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lhf1979 View Post
A lot of bars become team bars because things like meetup groups of teams go there and they have arrangements with the owners. My favorite midtown bar is a St. Louis Cardinals and Pittsburgh Penguins spot because of that. I was there Wednesday with the Cardinal fans and we were all rooting against the Red Sox.
Good for you! I hope the Redsox lost!

Old 10-01-2011, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
Good for you! I hope the Redsox lost!
Greatest collapse ever in the regular season.

Old 10-01-2011, 04:49 PM

1,280 posts, read 2,443,893 times
Always love to witness the misery of RedSox fans, LoL...
Attached Thumbnails
Yankee stadium area-318631_1528829438000_1752631548_752858_169832136_n.jpg   Yankee stadium area-309522_1539744070714_1748300325_785662_1927128641_n.jpg  
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City