Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-24-2011, 10:15 AM

18 posts, read 48,684 times

Advertisements

Hi folks,
I just got a job offer for $80k based in Downtown Brooklyn. I am a mom of a 19-month-old and my husband is a stay-at-home dad. We are considering taking the offer and moving from the W. Coast. We've lived in NYC before so we know something about it.

The neighborhoods we can afford on the salary I'll get (which qualifies us for about $2000/month in rent) seem to be either Bay Ridge, Brooklyn, or Sunnyside Queens. I'd like a commute of 45 minutes or less and Sunnyside is a bit too far--unless I could drive (is that insane to consider?). We'd love to live in areas like Cobble Hill or Brooklyn Heights but these are too expensive. We're considering the Lower East Side or Battery Park City as well.

What are some neighborhoods within a 45 minute commute of Downtown Brooklyn that have decent amenities (restaurants) and reasonable elementary schools? Should I just not take this offer?

Let me know what you think. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2011, 02:28 PM

2,848 posts, read 7,582,502 times
For just $80k you want to move across the country for a family of 3? I would make a list of what is important to you. Especially when you keep your child's schooling in mind, and what else you want to provide for your family. Maybe others will have a differing view, but I think it will be challenging. Is it possible? Yes, absolutely, and many do it. I just want you to think out the pros/cons, especially coming from the West Cost.

Old 09-24-2011, 02:59 PM

25,373 posts, read 37,093,283 times
Forget Sunnyside...no sense enduring the tedium of the commute and Sunnyside is just not enough of a catch to swing the pendulum.

Why not look for an apartment in Downtown Brooklyn? I am always fond of trying to live where you work.

Old 09-24-2011, 03:14 PM

1,809 posts, read 7,063,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
Forget Sunnyside...no sense enduring the tedium of the commute and Sunnyside is just not enough of a catch to swing the pendulum.

Why not look for an apartment in Downtown Brooklyn? I am always fond of trying to live where you work.
Agreed, because from Sunnyside she would have to go through
Manhattan to get into downtown Brooklyn, the alternate would be the slowest line of them all, the "G" after transferring from the "7" at
Court Square or the "7" to Times Square, to the "2" into Brooklyn.

A commute of 45 minutes or less from Sunnyside? good luck with that.

Old 09-24-2011, 05:05 PM

3,921 posts, read 9,132,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purplegrrl View Post
Hi folks,
I just got a job offer for $80k based in Downtown Brooklyn. I am a mom of a 19-month-old and my husband is a stay-at-home dad. We are considering taking the offer and moving from the W. Coast. We've lived in NYC before so we know something about it.

The neighborhoods we can afford on the salary I'll get (which qualifies us for about $2000/month in rent) seem to be either Bay Ridge, Brooklyn, or Sunnyside Queens. I'd like a commute of 45 minutes or less and Sunnyside is a bit too far--unless I could drive (is that insane to consider?). We'd love to live in areas like Cobble Hill or Brooklyn Heights but these are too expensive. We're considering the Lower East Side or Battery Park City as well.

What are some neighborhoods within a 45 minute commute of Downtown Brooklyn that have decent amenities (restaurants) and reasonable elementary schools? Should I just not take this offer?

Let me know what you think. Thanks!
Battery Park City would probably be too expensive (probably more than Cobble Hill or Brooklyn Heights). I don't think the schools in the LES would be too good.

You're probably better off in Brooklyn. The (R) train goes along 4th Avenue, so you could try Bay Ridge. You can also try Midwood (the (B)/(Q) go to DeKalb Avenue, where you can transfer to the (R)).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City