Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2011, 01:09 AM

42 posts, read 101,000 times

Advertisements

Hey,

i have been reading a lot of threads that i have found through google on this forum on the topic of Harlem vs Washington Heights and where to live... so, i figured i would pose my own question/twist to the topic

I am looking for some advice from some locals. This is the deal. I am moving to NYC to work for a sales job in lower manhattan. the job is heavily relied on commission and i will only earn 40k salary + bonus. this means i need to find a studio apartment for 1k in a safe area. i might negotiate to 46k which means 1150 would be my cap. i was told after the first 12 months i will beable to move into something nicer once i have a history at my employer where it is salary+bonus...

As you can tell this limits me to alot of areas. My job is off state street and when i visited in March i was taking the 1 train from 94th and broadway to an express train and then taking a 2/3 train from chambers to ferry exit where i would walk to the office...

now where would you move if you were me is really the question here with a 1k budget and maybe a 1150 budget if they agree to my counter offer

the areas that i have found of interest are the 168th street/broadway vs 135/125th/lennox vs finding anything in hamilton heights or inwood

now my question is how dangerous is the 135/lennox area and 125th/lennox area

i dont know how dangerous 168th/broadway is either...i am single 28 year old with no kids, and know that i will be going out past midnight on weekend nights. or even weekday nights...

i have checked brooklyn and the only areas that have a lot of apartments that i am priced into is prospect, but that area seems dangerous

i am so confused because i have only spent 4 days in NYC in my whole life and trying to make the best decision to keep my commute to work as short as possible

Any ideas? I'm posting at around 2AM my time because i have been researching online for the past 2 days...its driving me crazy =/

Last edited by joe n.; 08-03-2011 at 01:44 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2011, 01:05 PM
DAS

2,532 posts, read 6,860,382 times
Were you actually able to find anything for the amount of money you are willing to spend in any of these areas?

Old 08-03-2011, 01:46 PM

5,720 posts, read 20,049,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe n. View Post
Hey,

i have been reading a lot of threads that i have found through google on this forum on the topic of Harlem vs Washington Heights and where to live... so, i figured i would pose my own question/twist to the topic

I am looking for some advice from some locals. This is the deal. I am moving to NYC to work for a sales job in lower manhattan. the job is heavily relied on commission and i will only earn 40k salary + bonus. this means i need to find a studio apartment for 1k in a safe area. i might negotiate to 46k which means 1150 would be my cap. i was told after the first 12 months i will beable to move into something nicer once i have a history at my employer where it is salary+bonus...

As you can tell this limits me to alot of areas. My job is off state street and when i visited in March i was taking the 1 train from 94th and broadway to an express train and then taking a 2/3 train from chambers to ferry exit where i would walk to the office...

now where would you move if you were me is really the question here with a 1k budget and maybe a 1150 budget if they agree to my counter offer

the areas that i have found of interest are the 168th street/broadway vs 135/125th/lennox vs finding anything in hamilton heights or inwood

now my question is how dangerous is the 135/lennox area and 125th/lennox area

i dont know how dangerous 168th/broadway is either...i am single 28 year old with no kids, and know that i will be going out past midnight on weekend nights. or even weekday nights...

i have checked brooklyn and the only areas that have a lot of apartments that i am priced into is prospect, but that area seems dangerous

i am so confused because i have only spent 4 days in NYC in my whole life and trying to make the best decision to keep my commute to work as short as possible

Any ideas? I'm posting at around 2AM my time because i have been researching online for the past 2 days...its driving me crazy =/
168th and Broadway is much much safer than anything on Lennox. W 168th has seen a little gentrification due to it's proximity to the Columbia Presb (hospital)..

Old 08-03-2011, 02:07 PM

6,885 posts, read 9,930,168 times
I would never consider 125 - 135th and Lenox. And yes, I know all about the "luxury" developments in that area, which is filled with drug rehabs and methadone clinics and social service housing. And litter, litter, litter everywhere. Many of the Harlem shootings happen around there. There was just a big bust of a drug operation, hard to know whether this will improve things. Sometimes the guys hanging out playing cards and gambling shoot each other. 125 - 135th and Broadway is marginally safer, if a dump, lower Convent also, but not cheap either, and not within your price range.

Anywhere in Manhattan, including Harlem, that is not 100% ghetto - and many areas that still are - will charge far more in rent than you mention.

You might consider a roommate situation.

Old 08-03-2011, 02:21 PM
DAS

2,532 posts, read 6,860,382 times
Gentrification is not the issue, most places that charge only $1000 for a studio in Manhattan anywhere would most likely be a dump. So with that being most likely being a given, can the OP actually find anything for that price?

Old 08-03-2011, 03:39 PM

6,885 posts, read 9,930,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAS View Post
Gentrification is not the issue, most places that charge only $1000 for a studio in Manhattan anywhere would most likely be a dump. So with that being most likely being a given, can the OP actually find anything for that price?
I have seen a few listings for around that in Hamilton Heights, one of them actually looked very nice. That area can be a bit distant from the subway, one of the challenges with Convent as well. Two or three long blocks either way at a minimum.

Old 08-21-2011, 07:15 PM

42 posts, read 101,000 times
I am looking at sunset park vs Hamilton heights

In sunset I'm looking at 52cd between 4th and 5th ave

Just seems far from alot of sports bars and nightlife

Hamilton heights near Broadway there are apartments just check hotpads.com for a quick reference with a 1000 studio

Trying to determine whether to fly out on Aug 30th or Sept 7 I really want to see the carribean parade in Brooklyn

First day of work is Sept 15th..

Old 08-21-2011, 07:51 PM

1,583 posts, read 3,677,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe n. View Post
My job is off state street and when i visited in March i was taking the 1 train from 94th and broadway to an express train and then taking a 2/3 train from chambers to ferry exit where i would walk to the office...
WHAT?

Old 08-21-2011, 07:57 PM

9,247 posts, read 24,077,765 times
With your price limit you should forget about Manhattan.Period.The areas you can afford in Harlem and Washington Heights will be pretty bad.

Since you will be working downtown you should probably look in Brooklyn.Sunset Park,Kensington,Ditmas Park,Bay Ridge,etc.

Old 08-22-2011, 09:35 AM

84 posts, read 277,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
With your price limit you should forget about Manhattan.Period.The areas you can afford in Harlem and Washington Heights will be pretty bad.

Since you will be working downtown you should probably look in Brooklyn.Sunset Park,Kensington,Ditmas Park,Bay Ridge,etc.

Agree w Bluedog. You need Brooklyn- and not the trendy parts. Sunset park is good. you might be able to afford BayRdige, but the commute will be longer than Sunset Park.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City