Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-27-2011, 07:22 AM

2,223 posts, read 5,351,521 times

Advertisements

I'm wondering if anyone has had experience with applying for a NYCDOE Gifted & Talented (G&T) middle school? I am getting conflicting information about the requirements and which schools serve which communities. There was a time when the community middle schools had IGC (intellectually gifted child), SP (special progress - skips 8th grade) and E (enriched) programs but this no longer seems to be the case -- and the G&T programs, which seem to be isolated in just a few communities, draw from the entire city, and entrance is highly competitive.

Any information you can share on this would be helpful. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2011, 08:34 AM

5,517 posts, read 8,762,507 times
Almost all of the top academic middle schools now require some sort of test or examination to get into, whether they accept students citywide or restrict attendance to kids in the district, borough or some other area. Its wildly competitive because there are too few good middle schools in the city. Some of them accept solely on the basis of the city G& T test, while others have their own specific applications, tests, procedures or even auditions. Some will take students at any level while others, like Hunter, have only one entry year (7th grade for Hunter).

Unlike high schools there is no single unified procedure for the most academically rigorous middle schools, which is indeed a pain in the butt. But hey, this is New York. So start looking and visiting web sites early to see what might be good for your student. Aso be aware that some of these schools are accelearated, with kids typically working at least a year above grade level, some are enriched, with extra art or scince offerings, and some are both. The right fit, as I never tire of saying, is critical. The right kid in the a school he/she is not cut out for will only lead to unhappiness on the part of parent, the child, and the school. I've know kids who were never accepted to a G & T or accelerated program, but went to "regular" local middle schools where they excelled and had excellent high school acceptances. So make sure you know what typed of kid you have, do the research and pick for "fit", not "name."

Among the mot rigorous, whether they are labeled G & T or not: TAG (East Harlem) Anderson School , Center School, and Delta/MS 54 (all on the Upper West Side), Columbia Secondary School for Math (Morningside Heights), Manhattan East (East Harlem), NEST-M (Lower East Side), Simon Baruch (Gramercy Park), East Side Middle School (Upper East Side), Mark Twain (Midwood), Philippa Schuyler (Bushwick), MS 51 (Park Slope), Baccalaureate School (Astoria). There are also G &T or SP classes offered at some "regular" individual schools, especially I understand out in Queens and Brooklyn--but not at every one. I don't know all the G& T programs because the list changes every year. I'm sure I've left some good ones off.

If the above list looks very Manhattan-centric, it is. And unfairly so I think. I know that Manhattan is an easy commute, but personally I think there should be more of these types of schools in the outer boroughs. I know that there has been an attempt to place more G&T schools outside of the city in the past year or two, but as my kids are now through middle school, I don't know how those efforts have panned out. Maybe someone else here does.

But like I say, there is no unified process for applying, so you'll have to check out each school individually. If it is for 2011-2012 school year its probably too late for most of these programs. But if you're looking for 2012-2013 you've started in time.

Last edited by citylove101; 06-27-2011 at 08:43 AM..

Old 06-27-2011, 10:00 AM

2,223 posts, read 5,351,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citylove101 View Post
Among the mot rigorous, whether they are labeled G & T or not: TAG (East Harlem) Anderson School , Center School, and Delta/MS 54 (all on the Upper West Side), Columbia Secondary School for Math (Morningside Heights), Manhattan East (East Harlem), NEST-M (Lower East Side), Simon Baruch (Gramercy Park), East Side Middle School (Upper East Side), Mark Twain (Midwood), Philippa Schuyler (Bushwick), MS 51 (Park Slope), Baccalaureate School (Astoria). There are also G &T or SP classes offered at some "regular" individual schools, especially I understand out in Queens and Brooklyn--but not at every one. I don't know all the G& T programs because the list changes every year. I'm sure I've left some good ones off.

If the above list looks very Manhattan-centric, it is. And unfairly so I think. I know that Manhattan is an easy commute, but personally I think there should be more of these types of schools in the outer boroughs. I know that there has been an attempt to place more G&T schools outside of the city in the past year or two, but as my kids are now through middle school, I don't know how those efforts have panned out. Maybe someone else here does.
Wow, this is very Manhattan-centric. The students I am working with are in the outer boroughs and not in any of the Queens & Brooklyn neighborhoods listed here.

Can you recommend websites with the most updated information on G&T "magnet" schools and local schools with G&T classes? I am particularly interested in schools in the outer boroughs. Manhattan is a brutal commute for a 11-14 year old coming from neighborhoods in southeast Queeens, for example. Heck, it's brutal for adults!

Does anyone else have info on efforts to get more G&T programs into outer borough schools?

Old 06-27-2011, 10:21 AM

5,517 posts, read 8,762,507 times
I think that the insideschools.org site has a find-a-school button that you can use to select schools by neighborhood and selectivity so you might try that. the DOE also has a site on its home page which may be up to date (or not. this is, after all, new york city): * - Gifted and Talented - New York City Department of Education

Old 07-14-2011, 03:37 AM
yib

5 posts, read 23,228 times
IS 119 in Glendale has G&T program.
IS119 (24Q119) The Glendale - Homepage

Old 07-15-2011, 07:31 AM

4,663 posts, read 4,545,565 times
If you're looking at Queens, The Academy at P.S. 122 in Astoria is worth a look. It's a feeder to the specialized high schools.

Old 05-31-2013, 10:27 AM

1 posts, read 15,614 times
DD just got into Mark Twain on science talent. Is there anyone who can tell me how the program is? Does your child like being there and how are the teachers? Thanks

Old 05-31-2013, 01:36 PM

136 posts, read 240,253 times
Default Mt

My child just got rejected by MT, but please do not misunderstand when I say that I was relieved. I heard that MT is either a great place or a horrible place, there does not seem to be any middle ground when it comes to that school. Some kids really do well, they like the super, hyper competitive spirit. And others, really do not, and under perform. My friend's daughters was in the school a few years back and told us that there is great disparity between the students. For example, while the kids in the Math program are truly superior in Math, the kids in the Dance program are not. As a result, the overall mix of student abilities is uneven. Also, I am a bit fearful of the neighborhood. Having said that, I know MT has great admission rates to great High Schools. I hope your child does well and is happy wherever he/she ends up.

Old 10-20-2014, 10:04 AM

1 posts, read 10,405 times
How about School of Future? Is it any good? I rarely see it listed as part of these other screened middle school such as Baruch, etc.. Is there a reason why?

Old 10-20-2014, 01:54 PM

295 posts, read 281,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kflem View Post
How about School of Future? Is it any good? I rarely see it listed as part of these other screened middle school such as Baruch, etc.. Is there a reason why?
Maybe because S.O.F. Doesn't use the hard test score cut-offs that a lot of the other schools use. Admission's more based on interviews, report cards, previous work, etc.

Also while it might be a desirable school to get into, I wouldn't classify it as a gifted and talented/ultra academically rigorous type of place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City