Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-18-2011, 04:58 PM

13 posts, read 24,506 times

Advertisements

Hi,

So I'm going to be staying in Jersey City for a few months and had a situation that I'd like to consider regarding biking to work. I will be working at 59th and Lexington and would like to ride my bike to work after taking the PATH to the city. The problem with taking my bike on the PATH is that it is too crowded during the morning rush hour when I will be commuting and I don't really think it is allowed anyways during those hours. So after being hopelessly discouraged in this sense, I started thinking: what would be the feasibility (in terms of security) of parking my bike around the World Trade Center PATH station? I would take the train to WTC and then bike to work. After work, I would park it outside the WTC and take the PATH home. I'm not sure if this would be okay in terms of how secure my bike would be for keeping it long-term. If this is possible, what's the best method to lock it (u-lock, chain, ...)? Or if there are any other suggestions, I would be happy to hear them as well. My bike is not really fancy, just an old Schwinn Le Tour that's probably from like the 80's that I rescued from a junkyard. So not a big loss if it's stolen, but I would still like to keep it awhile for the exercise/to avoid taking the subway.

Any help would be great, thanks! And sorry for the long post.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2011, 05:54 PM

5,545 posts, read 2,038,797 times
As a bicyclist myself, I can offer you advice on how to properly lock your bike in the city. I know Hal Ruzal, the manager and expert mechanic at Bicycle Habitat on Lafayette Street. Please watch this very informative and helpful three-part series on his grading of bike locking methods around the city. He's entertaining, funny, and shows you how (not) to lock your bike.

Old 05-18-2011, 09:55 PM

13 posts, read 24,506 times
thanks, these videos were really great! Funny and really helpful. I guess a u-lock around back wheel, frame, and post attached to a cable lock around the front wheel is the way to go. If it works out, I guess I would probably take the seat with me as I go home, which also should discourage thieves since they have no seat to ride away on. However, any insight into actually parking my bike around the WTC long-term?

Old 05-19-2011, 03:25 PM

5,524 posts, read 8,789,571 times
there are various garages in the city that offer bike parking for a few bucks every day, though i don't know if those prices that I see, like $2 - $5, are for daytime working hours only or whether they give you 24/7 access. i've also seen that those rates are reduced if you go monthly. best bet would be to just call up a few garages around the battery or the wtc and ask. and even if its under lock, key, and closed circuit tv, do yourself a favor and dont ride anything really expensive.

Old 05-21-2011, 07:21 AM

2,896 posts, read 9,821,551 times
Moderator cut: Rude

Anyway, have you thought about taking the Ferry or Water Taxi?
Not sure how crowded, but worth a check. A bit costly though.

Last edited by bmwguydc; 05-21-2011 at 08:33 PM.. Reason: Rude

Old 11-30-2011, 06:13 AM

25,387 posts, read 37,134,785 times
Your chances of having your bike survive a couple months with this plan are miniscule at best.

Just pay the $104 per month, take the PATH to the WTC and hop on the #4 or #5 train at Fulton Street and zip to 59th and Lex. You will arrive at work refreshed, with no need for another shower and this method will work for even the sloppiest snow days.

Old 11-30-2011, 09:09 PM

1,682 posts, read 3,171,734 times
Bike share can't come fast enough!

You are a perfect canidate for NYC Bike share starting up this Spring. You can request stations online, although a WTC station and 59th and Lex are guerenteed. East River Greenway Midtown gap should be completed by then too.

Last edited by nykiddo718718; 11-30-2011 at 09:51 PM..

Old 12-02-2011, 07:07 AM

25,387 posts, read 37,134,785 times
Quote:
East River Greenway Midtown gap should be completed by then too.

My you are quite the optimist.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City